I suggest you ...

Add Java support to Visual Studio

With Microsoft's recent giant leaps forward into supporting Open Source technologies and platforms, I believe time is ripe for Microsoft to add support to Visual Studio for building Java applications.

History is history - time to move forward: Java is a reality and is very widely used to build server-side technologies in particular.

While IntelliJ is pretty good and Eclipse does it's job, NOTHING comes close to the enormous power and flexibility of Visual Studio and its practically unbeatable editor, window layout mechanisms, debugger, code introspection tooling, etc.

I believe that in adding Java support, Microsoft could expose Visual Studio to a massive audience of developers who have no other choice than to use editors like Sublime/Atom/Vim/etc. or IDE's like IntelliJ/Eclipse/NetBeans/etc. Most of these developers rarely stray into the world of VS and don't bother looking at it because VS doesn't support their key dev platform.

285 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Richard Turner shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jason Alls commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am very fond of Visual Studio, and prefer it to all other IDEs including NetBeans, Intelli-J IDEA, and Eclipse. It would be so nice to have FULL Java support for writing Swing/AWT apps, Java web services, Applets, Servlets, JSP and JSF applications. And it would be especially nice to be able to write Java FX applications as well. The big bonus would be to write in Java, and have the option to compile to either the .NET Framework (I was very sad to see J# dropped, as I really liked this .NET language), or the Java Virtual Machine, and then have full running and debugging capabilities for both target platforms.

This addition would benefit .NET developers who need to support Java applications, Java developers just doing Java for the Java VM, and Java developers who want to target the .NET Framework but don't want to learn a new Language. It would also be beneficial to students on computer science courses learning Java programming, such as those at the Open University. Such students would then be more likely to stick with Java, and they would be able to be .NET developers and Java developers. What a bonus this would be!

• Avtar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It will be a big hit if VS can support Java. I have moved from .net to Java and missing VS like anything. I have discussed the same with other developer who work with me and all feel the same. VS should be universal code editor.

• Jeremy Gamble commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I generally program in VB.NET, but I have a legacy Java application that I still have to support. I'm unfamiliar with the language (and honestly don't care for Java applications in general), but would love to be able to open this legacy application in VS2015 (currently using CE because I'm a one-man shop). Important features to include:

* Full debugging support with breakpoints, watches, immediate window, stepping and exception handling
        * Ability to easily add Java references to the project
        * Intellisense
        * Compile to JAR/JNLP
        * Templates for creating new Java applications (not that I'm likely to use them personally, but I'm sure they'd be helpful to others.

It would also be nice to be able to open the source code directly from a JAR file. I remember seeing that there's a VS project that provides the ability to extract the source from a JAR, so I would think that making VS do this "automatically" would be relatively simple.

I've seen the Java Language Support extension created by Sam Harwell & Tunnel Vision Labs (https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/bc561769-36ff-4a40-9504-e266e8706f93/), but it would be much better to include this as a "built-in" for Visual Studio. Especially with the latest pushes and strides Microsoft has made recently into the world of Open Source, it just seems a logical move to make.

• Cacious commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we should be able to program in java language too. no need to get an extra IDE for this purpose, its annoying...

• PacMani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Klention: Welcome to Visual Studio Uservoice, this is an open community, you talk to everyone.

• dsdude123 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Basically making coding and compiling possible in the Visual Studio IDE as long as the Java Development Kit is installed on the machine.

This would prevent the need for multiple IDE's installed on a machine for developers who use both Java and .NET lanaguages.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are a lot of people that know Java and are not fond of c++ or c#, like me. Right now I am aware that you can make simple applications with Java in Visual Studio, but that is very hard to do. I think there should be direct support to Java in Visual Studio, there would be a lot of people that would benefit from this.

please support visual j#again,then we can develop winphone application using java, andriod applications can be converted to winphone applications easily!!!

Support vj# is very important!
        Then I can write smart phone application for Windows Phone and Android using java.
        And android application is easy to convert to Windows Phone application!
        Please support Visual J# again!

• Tripp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to program Java along side of C++ within the same IDE (to shave down on having 9,000 editors installed) would be fantastic. No need to add special "Windows" only functions or includes. Just straight up, down and dirty Java.

Feedback and Knowledge Base