I suggest you ...

Provide a Visual Basic 6 Community edition - to allow free download of the VB6 programming language

Make a Visual Basic 6 Community edition free download of the Microsoft VB6 programming language and IDE available.
Microsoft already have a VS2013 community edition and also a free download of Expression Web.
Now please allow a 'Community Edition' of VB6.

1,742 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    VB6 Programming Community EditionVB6 Programming Community Edition shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have no plans to release a new incarnation of the Visual Basic 6 IDE, either as an incremental update or a free “Community Edition”. Some of you have expressed concerns that without such a product it would be difficult or impossible to maintain your existing Visual Basic 6 applications using a licensed version of the product. Please note that Visual Studio Community has a license that restricts use for enterprise development and as such a Community Edition of the Visual Basic 6 IDE would not actually address that concern. Additionally, your original license for VB6 is perpetual so provided that you still have the license key you may continue to install the product for current and future use. Lastly, the Visual Basic 6.0 IDE is available to all MSDN subscribers and can be downloaded at any time from the subscriber downloads section and installed. A generic subscriber key is provided for convenience if needed.

The Visual Studio Team

519 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DenisDenis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No reason there shouldn't be a free download of the VB6 programming language.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why not a vb6/64 when you implemented vba/64 ?

Only a stupid can change a top compiler like vb6 for a ****** like vb.net

Why not a vb6/64 when you implemented vba/64 ?

Only a stupid can change a top compiler like vb6 for a ****** like vb.net

• SaroSaro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Open source vb6 !
        Open source vb6 !!
        Open source vb6 !!!
        Open source vb6 !!!!

Of course this should be a free download.
        Microsoft must really hate developers.
        Do something right for a change, allow a free download.

• Microsoft DeveloperMicrosoft Developer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@The Visual Studio Team

>> Please note that Visual Studio Community has a license that restricts use for enterprise development and as such a Community Edition of the Visual Basic 6 IDE would not actually address that concern.

It is the free download of the VB6 programming environment that is important, not any technicalities of what a "Community Edition" license may allow.

• someonesomeone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VB6 has the spirit of BASIC and real evolution, I'm not sure about VB.NET, why not Microsoft remake another version of VB6 with complete OOP features and has the same spirit of BASIC and VB6 and supported in the new versions of WINDOWS like Windows 10.

• Microsoft, update VB6 programming & VBA programmingMicrosoft, update VB6 programming & VBA programming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A free download of VB6 is essential as Microsoft now support VB6 programming for the Windows Store.

How to distribute your existing Desktop Applications via Windows Store to Windows 10 PCs – including the new Windows 10 S configuration.

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2017/06/19/distribute-existing-desktop-applications-via-windows-store-windows-10-pcs-including-new-windows-10-s-configuration

@Mariano

>> I do support the idea of a free community edition of Visual Basic 6

There should be a free download of the VB6 programming IDE and language.

Microsoft, make it so.

• MarianoMariano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do support the idea of a free community edition of Visual Basic 6

I got so many projects made with that version i've released under free MIT license in github and provided the executables but i want my public to be capable of building my vbp and frm files in their own way by downloading a GCC-LIKE program from Microsoft website.

¿Is at least there any command line tool which compiles VB6 projects from VBP to EXE without any other requirement than VB6 runtimes?

THanks in advance for your response!

• Microsoft, update VB6 programming & VBA programmingMicrosoft, update VB6 programming & VBA programming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

*** Visual Basic climbs in the TIOBE Index for May 2017 ***

1 ...... Java ........................... 14.639%
        2 ...... C ................................. 7.002%
        3 ...... C++ ............................. 4.751%
        4 ...... Python ........................ 3.548%
        5 ...... C# ............................... 3.457%
        6 ...... Visual Basic .NET ........ 3.391%
        7 ...... JavaScript ................... 3.071%
        8 ...... Assembly language ..... 2.859%
        9 ...... PHP ........................... 2.693%
        10 .... Perl ............................ 2.602%
        11 .... Ruby .......................... 2.429%
        12 .... Visual Basic ............... 2.347%
        13 .... Swift ........................... 2.274%
        14 .... R ................................ 2.192%
        15 .... Objective-C ................. 2.101%
        16 .... Go .............................. 2.080%
        17 .... MATLAB ..................... 2.063%
        18 .... Delphi/Object Pascal ... 2.038%
        19 .... PL/SQL ....................... 1.676%
        20 .... Scratch ....................... 1.668%

VB6 has climbed to #12, while other Microsoft languages decline.

https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index//

Microsoft, it is time to allow a free download of the VB6 programming language.

VB6 more popular in TIOBE Index - May 2017
        ====================================

In the May 2017 Tiobe.com survey...

Visual Basic has climbed to .... 2.347% and is now at position #12

C# has fallen to .......................3.457% and is now at position #5
        VB.Net climbed to ...................3.391% and is now at position #6

Whatever Microsoft try, VB6 programming continues, while C# declines.

https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index//

• Classic VB6 ProgrammingClassic VB6 Programming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, C# is becoming less popular. But Microsoft have extended support for the VB6 language to include Windows Server 2016 as well as Windows 10. So now it must be time to allow the free download of the VB6 programming IDE.

• .Net is failing.Net is failing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some interesting data from the 2017 Stack Overflow survey:-

C# has fallen in popularity from 45% to 34% in just 5 years.

And Xamarin is one of the most dreaded technologies in the Stack Overflow survey.

https://stackoverflow.com/insights/survey/2017/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=dev-survey-2017&utm_content=em-features&utm_source=so-owned

The only really successful language Microsoft ever developed was classic VB, up to its best version ever - the VB6 programming language. They have never achieved the same success since.

Time for Microsoft to allow a free download of VB6.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 25 26

Feedback and Knowledge Base