I suggest you ...

VB.Net should be fully supported in ASP.Net VNext , MVC 6

Yes I do web development and Yes I am a VB !

So I was horified to read this on the VNext Page on Gitthub "We have no VB support in the work for vNext."

I Sure urge you to to start some planning about the support of VB.Net in ASP.Net VNext ,,, as Yes I currenty use MVC 5.2.3 in my production sites and hope to be at least able to upgrade to newer versions in the future , in my favorite coding language wich is VB.Net .

I want support for VB.Net in all new webtech just as I upgraded from classic ASP to now MVC Razor .

668 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Michel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

41 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • vb-net.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Main problem of VB support - is absent VB support in Visual Studio Code for NET CORE, nothing another big problems

• Microsoft, update VB6 programming & VBA programming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Support of Microsoft VB6 has been extended to Windows Server 2016. VB6 is supported until at least November 2027 on Windows Server 2016, and until at least 2025 on Windows 10. Both are likely to be extended.

Support Statement for Visual Basic 6.0 on Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012, Windows 10, and Windows Server 2016
        https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/articles/visual-basic/reference/vb6-support

VB6 programming is supported on Windows 10, Windows Server 2016 and earlier versions of Windows.

VBA programming is supported on Office 2016 and earlier versions of Office.

VBScript programming is still part of Windows.

• Richard Collier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

C# has been declining for 5 years ?
        C# has been falling since 2012. Now it has fallen to fifth place in the Tiobe index.

https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/csharp/

At its peak in January 2012, C# scored .. 8.763%
        In February 2017, C# had fallen to ......... 4.902% ▼
        In April 2017, C# had fallen further, to .... 3.579% ▼ but still #4
        In May 2017, C# had fallen further, to .... 3.457% ▼ now fallen to #5

C# is less popular now than it was in July 2005

Source: Zagor Tenay. Thanks for bringing that to everyone's attention.

• .Net is failing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The 2017 Stack Overflow survey is very revealing...

C# has fallen in popularity from 45% to 34% in just 5 years.

It is astounding to see how far C# has fallen in the last few years.
        C# was intended to compete with Java but was never successful in that.
        It is unlikely that C# will still be a mainstream language in 5 years time.

And Xamarin is one of the most dreaded technologies in the Stack Overflow survey.
        Never successful as an independent business, Xamarin is now failing in Microsoft's ownership.

https://stackoverflow.com/insights/survey/2017/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=dev-survey-2017&utm_content=em-features&utm_source=so-owned

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Killing off vb.net because of C# fan boys and "hipsters" is dumb. If i wanted to learn JAVA i would, but i prefer vb.net. Was hard to switch from vb6 to vb.net, but worth it. it is decisions like this that makes Microsoft loose their market share and become more irrelevant by the day. They easily forget that their popularity was largely due to vb6 in the late 90's. Since .net people switched to other development languages like php, python, java etc and even the platform from windows to Linux. This is my summary opinoin from reading articles over the last 10 years about Microsoft and their really stupid decisions.

• Mee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VB.Net doesn't even look as though it will be supported in .Net much longer.

• Joshua commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I actually have a port of VB .NET targeting .NET core working; however VS doesn't like it at all.

VB.Net is dying. Only 12% of .Net developers ever use VB.Net.

Old technology for the previous decade.

• Bring Back VB.Net commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that VB.Net has been downgraded to a second-rate language and won't be updated very often there is little chance of this request being met.

VB.Net is being abandoned.

• Dave Parkinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't see a significant difference between C# and VB.Net because .Net concepts are not language specific.

The main reason why I prefer VB.Net is that it hurts my hands less. C# requires the use of braces for block structure and these cause joint pain for an aging touch typist. VB.Net traditionally requires the underscore for line continuation but this is going. This means that VB.Net is a clear winner for elderly programmers who want to program in a style that isn't physically painful. My hope is that VB.Net will continue to develop its ergonomic advantage by prioritising keys that are close to the home keys for all new features.

• VB6 Programming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VB is far from dead.

Microsoft have announced that the VB6 programming language will continue to be supported in Windows 7,8 and 10 until at least 2025.

And VBA programming continues in Office.

VBdotNet never reached anything like the same level of success that VB6 did because it is not backwards compatible with VB6 and the conversion utilities were poor.

That is why there are still millions of lines of VB6 code in use,and why Microsoft still support VB6.

Meanwhile VBdotNet slowly fades away.

• Dave Nuss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the biggest problems is that a lot of folks confused VB with VB.Net and ridicule the VB.Net coders by grouping them with VB coders (apples and oranges). VB has been dead for well over a decade and VB.Net took over for good reason. With millions of lines of code and code libraries written in VB.Net, it's a shame that noobs at MS would reject VB.Net at all. The whole point of the DotNet framework was to be language agnostic and provide managed code for businesses (and add a safety buffer or layer between business code and the underlying OS).

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The developers at Microsoft, and the C# fans need to appreciate that not everyone has the luxury of starting new projects. Many of us suffer with having to deal with updating HUGE portals written many years ago in web forms and the like. If we could all just start fresh, yes, perhaps C# would be the only choice - but it isn't real life. This isn't a silly game of insulting people's choices, it's about respecting that we don't all get a choice.

• Philippe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, I guess that the limitation would be only in specific area... and that it would be possible to put most existing code in a VB.NET assembly anyway.

Also on GitHub, it is said that Visual Basic support is planned for Q3 2016 thus it seems that it will only be a temporary issue.

I'm shocked by the amount of hate being spewed at c# developers.

C# and VB.NET are extremely similar, a VB.NET developer should be able to learn c# in a matter of a few weeks. I had to go the other way c# -> VB.net to support legacy applications and it only took a few hours to be proficient and after 1 week I felt equally comfortable in both languages. Yes, I still prefer the less verbose and more common syntax of c# as it matches that of many other modern languages.

That being said, not supporting VB.NET in vNext shouldn't be a suprise. VB.NET has been in decline for several years and there are few greenfield applications being written in it. The fact is that most of the .NET 4.6 applications in C# will have to be completely rewritten also. The framework is vastly different, so not supporting VB.NET is not the greatest of the migration problems.

I also find it very strange that so many people are critical of Microsoft for not keeping and supporting the same technologies for 15+ years. The company needs to keep up with advancements as do users. It's part of being a software developer. You have to keep up with changes or be left behind with systems that don't take advantage of the new technologies. Just assume that your language is going to decline, your framework will have an end of life, and your code is going to be obsolete within tens years. If you aren't in this mindset, I can only image that programming is a very painful thing.

• Marden Rodrigues commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why rewrite from scratch vb.net for the launch of Visual Studio 2015 if vNext asp.net will not support him, this can only be a bad taste joke.
        Not to mention the lack of respect with all the developer community VB.Net

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base