I suggest you ...

Save the Model.bim.layout file formatted rather than as a single line

The model.bim.layout for Tabular models is currently a single line. When this is updated as part of changes it can never be usefully compared with a diff tool. It would nice to work well with these tools to be able to see the files include newlines / indentation when saved.

50 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Joshka shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love how the "Product Team" tells us the layout file should not be important for team development. When you have a large model, keeping everything organized is extremely important to make it easier to work with. Maybe the product team thinks the .bim file is the only one that matters, but to the people buying your product the layout file matters as well.

• Koen Verbeeck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The bim.layout file is very important. It contains how the all the measures are positioned in the measure grid. If you work with multiple devs over TFS, not having a decent comparison of the layout file can lose all of the formatting.

• AdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft Visual Studio) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, better team development is the goal. The Model.bim.layout file should not be important for team development, though. The Model.bim file is the one that matters, and in Tabular 1200 projects it is a JSON file, which hopefully makes team development a little easier right now, until a better more fine-grained solution is implemented.

• Felix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

is there any progress here. has anybody succefully written a script to format the file afterwards.
        I formatted the XML file via powershell however, this is not worth a lot as it contains just three gigantic piceses of encoded XML again.... :-/(

• Kay Unkroth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the suggestion. I added your feedback to our backlog for improving team development. It will be considered when we get to this item. No info on timelines though.

Feedback and Knowledge Base