I suggest you ...

Allow Visual Studio users to create custom Android Emulator profiles

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351380/allow-visual-studio-users-to-create-custom-android.html
Although it's great that Microsoft provides profiles for common Android devices in their XDE Emulator, it would be great to tweak these for certain use cases.

For instance, I'd like to make an Android profile for a "phone" that uses xhdpi (or even lower) with 512M of RAM.

There's no option for this, however by examining the list that Visual Studio Emulator Android downloads on launch:

* http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=534775

It should be possible or trivial to allow users to custom create their own profiles.

316 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
TJ Grant shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Rolf van Kuijen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really need this due the use of Mac with Parallels for Windows to work normal and debug/test.
    The android emulation on Mac is a nightmare and impossible to work with normal when debugging from Windows Parallels, the VS Emulator outclasses it all aspects.

• Justin Terry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As Daniel Wilson commented my (potential) client has a particular device issued to their field engineers (not matching any available profile). It's not a showstopper but ability to create the custom profile would increase confidence in the proof of concept demo and reduce dev risks (if the project goes forward). Any update here from Microsoft would be appreciated as this has been 'under review' for 18+ months now. Thanks.

• Daniel Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is essential :(

My clients have a very specific device profile and 15 or so preset ones won't do the job

• Sergei Garcia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And let us name them. Current profile names are not very helpful when we have multiple profiles available.

Feedback and Knowledge Base