I suggest you ...

Custom Project Order in Visual Studio Solution

Add ability to customize project order in Visual Studio solution. Now all projects sorted by name and this behavior cannot be changed via user settings.

343 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anton shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can it not be possible to sort however you want? Alphabetic is a nice default, but manual is needed when alphabetic isn't logical. People have been going crazy over this for more than a decade, and it's such a small fix. Seriously Microsoft, time to roll up your sleeves and copy Apple.

• Hugo Ojendiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As other comments suggest, we could just 'name-hack' our projects to have an arrangement that's significant to us, but this isn't a proper solution.

• Ryan Mann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, you can already group projects, their called "Solution Folders"

Just create a solution folder for each group, then add projects to the solution folders. They are cosmetic and don't have actual physical folders, they are just for grouping projects in solution explorer and adding outside resources like "dlls, images, etc" that you don't want in a specific project.

You can control the solution folder order via numeric naming conventions like in my below post.

05_Data
        -> 01_Thing.Database
        -> 10_Thing.Data
        10_Repos
        -> 01_Thing.Repository
        -> 10_Thing.Repository.SourceControl
        -> 15_Thing.Repository.Authentication
        20_Services
        -> 01_Thing.Service
        -> 10_Thing.Service.SourceControl
        -> 15_Thing.Service.Authentication
        30_Api
        -> 01_Thing.Api
        40_App
        -> 01_Thing.Host (loads index.html from Thing.Client and hosts the api on kestrel).
        -> 10_Thing.Client (existing website, not an actual project), SPA all built with node/npm/webpack

• Ryan Mann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been desired for a LONG time, and it's never been done...

So what I do is change the names of my projects so they are alphabetically sorted in a way that they are in the order I want.

I.e.

05_Thing.Database
        10_Thing.Core
        15_Thing.Api
        20_Thing.Api.Services
        25_Thing.Data
        30_Thing.Host
        90_Thing.Test

When I rename them, I leave the Assembly name and namespaces the way I want. The Project name is purely cosmetic in solution explorer, it has no functional impact to anything other than what order they are sorted in.

This means that while my project name is 00_Thing.Database The folder on disk is still "Thing.Database".

Just rename them ""after"" you've already added them to the solution, and you are renaming the csproj file basically, not the actual folder or assembly name.

• Goran Grubić commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys, really - how ever is this request ranked compared to the others... please do it, it sounds to me an easy patch but would make my life way better. In 10+ years of active VS use I never had a Solution where alphabetical order has any semantic value. In my view the best way to have this is to have new Int32 field in project properties called: Priority, set to 0 by default so we can put - or + values. PLEASE !!! And Thanks in advance!

• spar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is more than needed honestly alphabetically isn't always the best order (for me an probably for a lot of developers as well)

• Milan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to order no just Projects, but also Files in my project folder, after renaming file, it is not ordered correctly

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to add nested sorting too. For example, i want projects to be ordered by logic but in one project the folders are ordered alphabetically and in the other project folders again are ordered by their function.

• Aaron Bauman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great suggestion. I would even say that not only can we manually sort our projects, but perhaps there could be a grouping of projects. Presentation Layer, Service Layer, Repository Layer, etc

Feedback and Knowledge Base