I suggest you ...

Do not save any changes before building

One option that I couldn't find (which was there in older version) is :

Before building -
-Do not save any changes
-Save all changes
-Prompt to save changes

The above was available in Tools->Options->Build & Run in older versions.

At times when I make temp changes in my code which I don't want to save it then that feature comes in handy.

Please bring back the "Before building" options in VS2015.

132 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mike shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Hans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear all,

I was just reading this part and I do agree it is terrible way that Microsoft had decided to not make it possible to easy test a project, without the chance of destroying the project. I have no idea, what they have being thinking there, if they actual did. As in every program environment you do need to be able to test, before continue the next step. But now you can work on a project for month, and just because of the current setting 1 test can destroy all those month work.

So yes Microsoft, please make this happen, as imperative to have.

As also to have such option to save project as (I know not right treat) as it all doesn't make sense, that all kind of steps need to be done, in order to copy projects to a different location.

• Aleksey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VS 2015 saves changes before build... for files, but not projects - they remains unsaved. How to save them before build? I had problem because of this: project or solution file had no modifications and I missed them in git commit.

• Ted commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At least you had the CHOICE in older versions. Why not bringing this option back??
        I sometimes want to experiment with some code and NOT saving it before building.

• PD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why not just copy the entire folder of the original project to a temporary location?

• Neil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is extremely helpful to have. Sometimes I make large changes to a project and that change doesn't work out. I used to be able to just reload my project to get back where I was, but now you are stuck with unwanted changes, and it is common to have more changes than can be "undone" with ctrl + z. It seems ridiculous to even remove this.

• Alan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is vital to get this feature back. My Visual Studio crashed twice this morning. Once during commit to Source Control, second during Build. Both times I lost changes. It is not feasible to remember all files visited in making a change (to save them one by one) and it is even less feasible to anticipate changes in other files due to use of Refactor (VS or R#). If the official answer is to Save All, then I say "Why not on build, that's where I want it?".

• Philippe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well if the binary are copied to the final directory only when the build is successful, it would be easy to have a command "Run previous build" and there would be no debugger support.

This would allows to try something with previously build version (if clean all or rebuild all is not used).

Would it be possible to use Configuration manager for that purpose. That is, there would be 2 configuration that would use the same project configuration but one would build them and the other not?

• Gary Harper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I always want to save changes because now and then the application will crash or hang Visual Studio. It wouldn't hurt to have options, though.

Feedback and Knowledge Base