I suggest you ...

Add option to customize Intellisense tooltip color

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351399/add-option-to-customize-intellisense-tooltip-color.html
Visual Studio 2015RC does not include an option to set the background color for the Intellisense popups.

The color can be changed by applying a different theme, but I prefer the lighter 'Blue' scheme and a custom dark/high-contrast text editor. Due to the new colorization of intellisense / signature window, I can't see all of the text and punctuation in the popup.

Being able to set the background color of this tool tip directly would be useful.

106 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Shadowfoxish shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ZooDoo4u commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really do need an option here. From what I have observed the colors for VS when showing the colorization for the tool tips and other pop-up are problematic and from what i'm thinking is impossible for a user to get something desirable without something in the VS Shell getting fixed. I would assert to fix it properly there needs to be a foreground/background for the tool tips. What appears to be happening currently (VS 2017 15.5.6) it is easily understandable but broken. What im seeing is VS will partially use some of the user's color setting but not all, meaning if for C# "Identify" or "Type" the we select a fore/background color the tool/data tips displayed will honor what the user selected for the items. Thus the problem for those preferring a dark them, you will get black text on a dark blue back ground. Seem the data/tool tips will honor the users background color but the foreground text color, i honestly have not clue where it is coming from. For my html settings seems i changed the "HTML Comment" color setting and some of the data/tool tips appeared better but not all, tool tips on element names are impossible to read. It seems most of the option where a tool tip. or debug pop-ups for the data tips are rather messed up if one decides to use a dark theme. Easy to see how it got past testing if people only use the default theme but change a few things VS will become a real pain in regards to the data/tool tips when shown...

Really seems to fix this we need option to colorize:
        data tips - foreground/background
        tool tips - foreground/background

And within these i'd argue to keep it simple and only use the data/tool tip for the fore/background colors, mainly to prevent needing a setting for "tool tip foreground identifier color" and "tool tip background Identifier color", mainly because if VS still read through and grabs the normal editor color for a "Type" or "Identifier" the problem would still exist. Thus for the data tool tips would be simple enough to just allow for setting the data/tool tips fore/back colors and avoid the need for 200 more color settings :)

• Drew Chapin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Update: I found in the comments below you can go to Tools → Options → Environment → Fonts and Colors, and change "Show settings for" to "Environment", then set the Tooltip background color there, however, if I choose black, now I just have a worse problem. Instead of seeing white text on a light silver background, now I'm seeing black on black.

• Drew Chapin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is still an issue in Visual Studio 2017. I prefer to work with black backgrounds because it's easier on the eyes, so most of my syntax colors are light colors which are hard to see on the silver tool-tip. I would like to use the Dark theme, which uses a dark background on the tool-tip, but there just isn't enough contrast between elements in the dark theme for me. The simplest solution would be to allow changing the tool tip background color, but you could allow us to turn off syntax highlighting in the tool-tip, or use the same background color for the tool-tip as what we use in the editor by default.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ok, looks like this has been fixed. you can now change the tooltip color here: Tools->Options->Environment->Fonts and Colors->Show settings for: "Environment"->Tooltip

• Rob Keeney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a big pain. I've used the same color scheme in Visual Studio for years, and it gets worse and worse as you guys keep adding more fritter-ware settings that are no longer covered by the things I had customized.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still a problem in Update 1.

Possible solutions:

1) Tell VS to what foreground colors to use. Nope.
        2) Tell VS to ignore editor colors altogether. Nope.
        3) Ok, tell VS to use different background color. Nope.
        3) Tell VS to turn off annoying QuickInfo. Nope.

Etc. For some reason, NONE of these are possible!

• Piotr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tooltip is totaly unreadable in Windows High Contrast color theme

• Adam Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is extremely frustrating! I have to use a third party Color Theme plugin to gain access to these color options which introduces its own problems.
        Please give us access to these color options in the Fonts and Colors settings.

• Jake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This still exists in RTM :( Please fix as it is driving me crazy!

Feedback and Knowledge Base