I suggest you ...

Bring Windows 10 Universal Apps to Android and iOS

Create something like what Xamarin is doing in order to help developers to code once and run EVERYWHERE (Wndows 10, windows 10 mobile, android and ios).

If Microsoft could not buy Xamarin, at least do what they are doing by your own. Make something that enable us to archive real NATIVE cross platform development. It could dramatically increase the numbers of developers using .net to create mobile applications as well as increasing the number of apps created to wp too, since app could be compiled to ios, android AND WINDOWS PHONE. Hibrid apps like apache Cordova has a lot of potential but right now it is limited to offer a bad user experience when compared to the native apps you could build native with native objective-c on iOS, java on Android or C# (on Xamarin.Forms o WP and Windows 8). Porting .net to others platforms is good, but go further MS, create something that help us to "code once and run everywhere. And by EVERYWHERE I mean, not just windows, I mean: Native apps on Android, iOS, Windows PC, Windows Mobile, Xbox, HoloLens and to on. Bring us a tool that enable us to make Visual Studio Universal Apps REALLY UNIVERSAL (running as well on android and iOS).

We want a Framework that enable us to build NATIVE.
By the way Xamarin Starter edition has a very limited package size so is almost impossible to create even small apps with an organised architecture (multi layers) and its licences fees is very expensive too.
Hey M$ look to the opportunity a tool like Xamarin could bring to the windows ecosystem. It could help you to resolve the app gap Windows Phone suffers so far. With a tool that can help developers to build native applications to windows as well as to android and iOS could bring the apple and android developers interest to use it and since it will be able to compile to windows phone then they will not have why to do not do so. It will also bring mobile developers form other platforms (android and iOS) to Visual Studio and .NET.

3,665 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Eder Cardoso shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

50 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"[...] It could dramatically increase the numbers of developers using .net [...] "

Develop once, run everywhere would be THE paradise and game changer for any developer. Who would ever work with other IDEs again?

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MSFT by Xamarin .. please, the licensing price is annoying when already VS is bought for really a lot .. (including TFS, servers, AZURE etc..)

• Klaus Löffelmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anonymous Coward: Microsoft took Windows 7 and backported WinRt. The result they called Windows 10, so go get it. It's just a free Service Pack which you have to run FROM Windows 7, if you will. ;-)

Other than that, I second every suggestion in this posting!

• DavidJeba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i almost finalized Xamarin and the Cost of Xamarin vs Native Development
        blocked my progress...
        MS should buy Xamarin and make it opensource
        the main reason is... Xamarin has to be opensource for better adaption

• Anonymous Coward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If Microsoft really wants Universal Apps to be universal, they need to support Windows 7!!!

There's no good technical reason why Metro couldn't be back-ported to Windows 7. You won't get the same level of platform lock down / security, but some might see that as a feature.

AFAICT, the only reason Microsoft didn't back-port Metro was because they wanted to force Windows 7 users to upgrade to Windows 8 and now 10. It turns out nobody wrote a "must have" Metro app that would drive demand for upgrades. So everybody loses. People keep on using Windows 7, and Win32 remains the only true "universal" API.

1 3 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base