I suggest you ...

CodeLens for Community Edition

CodeLens is very helpful and cool feature! Once you try it, then you can't use simple "find references". I think community will be grateful for it. Make CodeLens available for VS2015 Community!

164 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    sablyu shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback on this idea.

We’re glad you find Code Lens a useful feature, however at present we have no plans to bring it to the Community Edition of Visual Studio; it will remain one of the benefits of the Visual Studio 2015 Professional and Enterprise editions.

As such, we’re declining this suggestion at present.

Thanks!
    Mark Wilson-Thomas
    Program Manager, Visual Studio Editor Team

36 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really used to like coding as a hobby creating applications for daily tasks. The loss of the references (Code Lens) which I had in VSC2015 makes this a lot more painful. Unfortunately as someone who does this as a hobby, I don't have the resources to purchase Pro. I wish I had never upgraded my machine to VSC2017 now.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously put that in Code and not VS2017 Community? Very expensive from Microsoft! Well, very well ... The VS2017 is used to basically develop for windows platform. So, if we change platform what will this piece of the software market be? $$ more $ Micro$oft

• Vasiljevic Damir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wonder why you declined this when this is available in Visual Studio Code which is also free tool. So what is so different with Visual Studio Community?

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hopefully the visual studio team will one day integrate the codelens tool into the visual studio community, many developers would greatly appreciate it.

• Stéphane Gagnon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My solution was the Visual Commander Extension.

After installing the extension, create a new command in C# and add a call to the DTE interface.

Add a button in a new toolbar or existing toolbar, add a Command, Select VCmd in the categories and select your command.

using EnvDTE;
        using EnvDTE80;

public class C : VisualCommanderExt.ICommand
        {
        public void Run(EnvDTE80.DTE2 DTE, Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Package package)
        {
        DTE.ExecuteCommand("Edit.FindAllReferences");
        }
        }

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft should add tools like CodeLens to Community edition to help enterprises smaller than 6 developers and $1M to BECOME enterprises larger than 5 developers and $1M so they can afford to pay for Pro edition in the first place. Microsoft has set the rules for switching from Community to Pro at these limits, so what exactly is the rationale for crippling Community Edition relative to Pro?

• Gary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So much for Community being the equivalent of Professional for individual developers.
        But they'll put it in Visual Studio Code... idiots.

• Michael Lev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make codelens available for VS 2017 Community.
        Please consider -
        The Strength and Profit of a company are usually greater if it supply its tools free, since more millions of people use it then. See for example Google...
        I'd appreciate a feedback.

• Umut Esen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make codelens available for VS 2017 and VS for Mac! Either free or as a paid extension.

• Alexandre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is available on vs code, it is a basic feature, it should be available on vs community as well. It is not as if it was a complex feature which should be reserved to companies.

• Qode commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having it in VS Code and not in VS Community is nonsensical. Please rock the community by making this feature available at Build.

Developers! Developers! Developers!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you make Codelens purchasable separately for Community Edition so those who cannot afford Professional edition and still need it can have it?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base