I suggest you ...

option to disable quick action squiggles

In VS2015 you introduced the quick action light bulb. I think its a cool piece of tech, and I get why many people like it. However its a bit to intrusive for me, the light bulb was ok, but the green quick action squiggle errors are starting to become a bit annoying.

For example, when I create classes I prefer writing up the class first in the header file, writing the functions, variables etc I know I will be needing. The second I finish writing the constructor prototype the squiggles and the light bulb flare up, "Function definition not found, show potential fixes". Its quite annoying to be constantly informed about something I am fully aware off, I just wrote the function declaration.
So, having the option to turn off the green quick action squiggles, and also possibly the light bulb would be something I would appreciate immensely.

Per-M

1,152 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Per-Morten shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

101 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm absolutely in awe that there's no way to disable this garbage. Reverting back to VS2013.

• Lionell Griffith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are at least a thousand configuration items if not a lot more. Why not make the light bulb, brush, and quick information an optional item as well.

Stop trying to help us so much. At least give us the choice about when or if we ask for help without having it flash in front of the code we are working on. Thereby interrupting our flow of thought. It is almost as bad as pulling up a growing plant to see if its roots are growing. The main effect is to STOP progress.

It may come as a surprise to some but Microsoft does not know what is good all the time for itself (Vista et.al.) so how can it know what is good for everyone else, everywhere, for all projects, for all time. It cannot!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Found no such setting under Text Editor/C#. Can we have an option to disable this for C# as well?

• Anton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VS2015 Update 3: Tools -> Options... -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Advanced -> Refactoring -> Disable Create Declaration/Definition Light Bulbs = True

solved the problem for me.

• Igor Levicki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wonder how many votes are needed for this to become an optional feature?

Microsoft is trying to emulate Apple by removing choice, but of course they are removing the wrong choices because they don't understand what the word "simplicity" means.

If you want to emulate Apple you should go by those words -- "Something is perfect not when there is nothing more to add but when there is nothing more to remove".

The light bulb popping up in the corner of my eye is driving me Nuts. Please allow it to be disabled!

• Lukas Kalinski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Those green squiggles are running me crazy... you actually end up fixing working code just to get rid of them. PLEASE, make them optional ASAP (or simply abolish them altogether)!

• Wesley Kenis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

its now 2018 AND STILL THIS ******* THIS IS REQUIRED??? WHY DO WE EVEN HAVE USERVOICE??? I'm tired of getting IGNORED as a user SO INSTEAD OF PAYING I USE FREE VERSIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there is no reason for me to pay to get event more ****** UNWANTED features

it's even not an option to say "no rules"

• ZooDoo4u commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where is Clippy? As cute as Clippy was in Office where is it now and why did Office ever remove?

Searching the web there a lots of people posting questions "How can i turn this stuff off?" But we all get some comment from MS saying "It is a new productivity tool..." For who new students and the unlearned or professional software developers.

Sorry but it doesn't seems like such a good productivity enhancement if so many people are posting questions "How can i turn this stuff off?"

Can't we have a trimmed down simple editor, a simple color scheme, intellisense, and after that just seems like feature bloat and a slower UI...

• Nehrk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This piece of **** makes me mad. At least Resharper can turn it off.

• Steve Elmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please add option to disable. I hate this thing. I would much prefer to have a hotkey or context menu to get the popup information when I want it rather it showing up all over the darned place.

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Err, to be specific, the light bulb to the far left (next to the line number).
        Not the one that pops up below the "violation"

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES you can, its a bit tedious, but possible (at least in VS2017).
        Click on the lightbulb, drop down menu will pop up, select Suppress and just select (put) "in suppress file". Recompile and watch that particular squiggly go away.

I am less familiar with this method, but its also possible to select Analyze (close to Help) and go "Config Code Analyze" -> "For solution", you can configure some pre-settings there. Its apparently possible to create a settings file that you can share between projects.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Incredible how intrusive VS is these days when you're actually typing code. I guess its like having the pointy haired boss in Dilbert digging you in the shoulder every couple of seconds saying 'no! not that way, do it like this!! prod prod prod'. Painful.
        I assume they see this kind of stuff as so amazingly useful it should be in your face all of the time. They did spend a lot of coding hours providing the feature, so why allow the foolish user to switch it off? I mean, users! really!
        Its odd I'm starting to think typing code in notepad is a better experience than Visual Studio.
        I seem to remember this sort of thing coming up before: Intellisense anyone?
        Charlse Pezold: http://charlespetzold.com/etc/DoesVisualStudioRotTheMind.html

Still not within reach as of Oct 2017?
        Microsoft?
        Anyone?

One of the most annoying 'features' of VS. Make it optional! Now! I mean it, now!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base