I suggest you ...

bring back Build Explorer in Visual Studio 2015

Build Explorer had been removed in Visual Studio 2015 in favour of a browser based solution.
Unfortunately not all function of Visual Stduio Build Explorer are available in TFS Web Access.
Currently it is really frustrating when you need to look at code coverage in source files and not only at the percentage.
the information is stored in TFS and you can still use it with Visual Studio 2010 - 2013 but needing to use two Visual Studio does not allow to switch completely to Visual Studio 2015.

534 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Daniel Steiner shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There is no plan for us to expose VNext builds in the IDE. We’ve improved the experience of viewing your build in other browsers (ie. Chrome, Safari), not just IE/Edge. If you continue to have issues in other browsers, please let us know.

25 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • roman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can not just close Idea with 534 votes. It may collect 100000 votes, so you will change your plans

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The WEB was designed for the purpose of displaying information. That's what it is good at.

It is not good at editing, creating, and managing data. Creating and managing builds in a WEB interface is painful at best.

I wish you would actually reach out to people actually using these systems when you make such changes.

• Aziz Gazanchiyan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Installing VS2015, and VS Update 3 (there is no link to Update 2 anymore) still has that issue! Builds are explored outside of VS.

Please, fix it in Update 3 as well!

• Marco Falconi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was certainly looking forward to Update 2 for this to be fixed but it's not. As the article that Daniel quoted stated:

For update 2 we are reverting VS so that it behaves exactly as 2013 did with regards to XAML builds

That is in fact what they did, bring it back for XAML builds only.

So my builds still open in TFS in a browser, which only plays nice with IE / Edge, so on top of it you either have to set your default browser to IE / Edge or explicitly open an Edge window and navigate to Builds.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you could at least configure it so the browser window could open as a tab within Visual Studio, that would help. I find myself ending up with 20 browser windows all pointing to the build queue by the end of the day because it opens a new one each time I select a build status. Annoying.

• romul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you try open build in Team Explorer it will open it in browser. It would be at least better to have open this browser windows INSIDE visual studio

• Vasily commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This really ANNOYING to leave Studio when I need to watch build results. And this is EXTREMELY annoying that I need copy/paste (!) to watch Drop Folder results on a shared folder.

It's 21th century, why I cannot just click and need to use launch and keyboard combinations?! It all work fine before, please return old behavior or at least make it optional.

• Jerrad Peterson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very disappointed as well as everyone else. As a build manager for my organization, I used the Build Explorer window in VS everyday to monitor developer's builds. I don't want to have to use another browser window just to see build activity. Please bring it back soon.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the web based Build Explorer is truly better, Build Managers will convert to the new model. However, forcing our hands is a poor product roll-out decision. This represents a significant barrier to adoption within the organization. Please re-enable the VS-based Build Explorer, and configure the preference as a VS Option setting.

• Max Rubinstein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Build explorer is there in 2015.1. But I could not find a single click way to open it.
    Here is how I got it:
    - in Builds Tab, under XAML Build definition, under Actions - select View My Builds
    - This will open Build Explorer with "Only show builds requested by me" checked.
    - Uncheck it and you are in business.

• Staffan Wärnberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the Web Explorer you can't see the Build Quality of the builds, which we rely on very much. You can set it, but not see it... :-(

• Günter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The web build explorer does not display command line output of a custom tool we are using. If I look at the very same log in VS2013 the command line output is still visible !!??

• Noel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its really annoying to open a new browser window every time. Please just let me stay in visual studio.

• Daniel Steiner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Dominic
    don't think that will be fixed with TSF 2015 Update 1.

you probably need to install Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 RC as the code was in Visual Studio and not TFS

• Dominic Perreault commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

TFS 2015 Update 1 should have brought back this feature but just installed the TFS 2015 Update 1 RC 2 and still stuck with the web based build explorer.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base