Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please add a blog article on how to write a light bulb extension to interact with C++

I'd like to write a C++ lightbuilb extension written in C# but to analyze C++, of course it would be great if we could get to the AST tree but at present I'd be happy to just be able to write something that would look at the text of my C++ in the editor

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create extensibility points into the language service.

Currently it is not possible to gain hooks into the different pre-installed language services for the purposes of extensibility. Since the language service is responsible for so many things, this means that even very simple yet very powerful extensibility ideas are shut down before they even have a chance.

A perfect example of this is if you wanted to change the way that the code auto-formatter works. I'm talking about like you press Enter and it indents your code to a certain point. That kind of thing. To do this one simple thing you need to create an entirely new…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.
    - The Visual Studio Team

3. Higher level Extensibility / Automation API - like DXCore

VSIX , EnvDTE, V&M SDK - we need a higher level abstraction that unifies the lower levels and hides the messy details. Every version of Visual Studio had its own extensibility API - its a hodgepodge mess!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

4. add support for intellisense and syntax coloring for .t4 files

.t4 files are very useful, especially with the asp.net scaffolders template you find in sidewaffle, but not very easy to use without intellisense and coloring.
    Add the support may be of great help.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we havenÕt acted on it. Looking at the VS Ò15Ó plans, weÕre not going to take action on this item, so weÕre going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if thereÕs another suggestion thatÕs similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

5. Enable extension of Work Item query fields

I suggest you make it possible to extend the fields/search callbacks for the built-in work Item query feature in Visual Studio.

I'd like it to create an extension that enables searching of Change Date in History.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

6. Add Nuget support to Visual Studio Express Editions

Add Nuget support to Visual Studio Express Editions

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

7. add an rss feed to the visual studio gallery

The gallery used to have a feed that I followed so I could get notified when new extensions were added. That feed if gone now. Please bring it back!

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Support creating Visual Studio extensions for earlier VS versions

Right now one has to have Visual Studio 2010 installed to create a new extension, which would work on it (or do lots of trickery).

It would be much better if VS Package wizard would ask for minimum target version, or determine it automatically based on target framework version.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 4 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base