Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Install and update extensions without need to restart VS

It can save time, especially when you have big project. Chrome can do it, why not Visual Studio?

76 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    6 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

2. For the tools in the Visual Studio Gallery make it possible to download "old" versions if needed

Sometimes, not very often, but, there is a need to download previous versions for the tools in the Visual Studio Gallery. E.g. for the Team Foundation Power Tools. Currently it is not possible to download "old" versions even if very needed.

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

3. Add some plugin/option to be able generate trx-files in VS2012

It's blocking for your team to switch VS2010 to VS2012. We have difficult solution structure and it's very hard to run required feature-files from command line. We need to get trx-files using MSTest and VS IDE.
    Thanks.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add ability to ignore updates for individual Extensions and Updates

I have a number of extensions installed, and want them to be kept up to date. As such I don't want to "Disable automatic detection of available updates".

However, I have one extension that I do not want to update (Visual Assist X). I bought a licence for it, and am repeatedly prompted to update to a later version. My licence does not cover this later version - updating will move me onto a free trial for a limited period.

I'd like to be able to right click on the update and say "ignore this update" - like I can…

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we havenÕt acted on it. Looking at the VS Ò15Ó plans, weÕre not going to take action on this item, so weÕre going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if thereÕs another suggestion thatÕs similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

5. Add Extension SDK Tooling

VS Extension SDKs are a great way of packaging up components, specially with company internal components, native DLLs and also closed sourced (read: paid and/or licensed) SDKs.

They also add a great benefit of consumers of the Extension SDK to easily "Add Reference..." within the VS IDE, making it simple to add these package references, no matter the project type.

1.) It's unfortunate that Extension SDKs have to be created by hand and is very error prone and tedious. It would be very helpful to automatically package up Extension SDKs within a GUI in the IDE.

2.) Also, creating these…

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion.

Going forward, our plan for VS “15” and beyond is to quickly address limitations that VS today has around enabling a similar scenario using Nuget. We believe that enabling this support would give users the best of both worlds – an easy way to distribute packages/code, and at the same time all of the Visual Studio tools would end up respecting functionality that today is exclusively supported only by Extension SDKs (for example, designer toolbox, version targeting for Windows SDK, etc.). We are maintaining the specification for that part below, and would love to hear more on what additional parts are missing to bridge the gap:

https://github.com/NuGet/Home/wiki/Converting-Extension-SDKs-into-NuGet-Packages

- The Visual Studio Team

6. Add auto save to external tools

I have several external tools that process the file currently opened in the editor and modifies it. A few versions back, whenever I ran an external tool, VS would save all documents first before running the tool. This way, if I had changes not yet saved, they would not get lost.

Then that behaviour was removed in VS 2010, external tools run without saving the file first. At which point I was told all I had to do was write macros that would save before running the tool. So I did. But now in VS 2012, you have removed macros.…

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

7. Add support for Atlassian Bitbucket like Github.

Add support for Atlassian Bitbucket like Github.

It needs to add a plugin that supports the Atlassian Bitbucket, just as there is support Github.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks so much for the feedback. We’re closing this suggestion because it’s really a question for Atlassian. The good news is that we support Git-based source code control mechanisms already out of the box, so you should be able to directly work with a Bitbucket repo; but a tailored Atlassian experience would really have to come from them.

Best wishes,

Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

8. support for subversion controls

add a built in subverssion integration into vs not limiting it to TFS, or by using 3ed party component that slow down vs loading and make it crash

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

9. Include nuget references in the solution for purposes of source control.

After adding nuget packages to my solution, they should be referenced by in the solution explorer such that when I right click my solution and choose to check-in it will also check in the packages folders so that the references are updated for all developers. Currently this requires checking in from the project root through Source Control explorer or the file system.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

10. Visual Studio tools for Git should support different line ending defaults

First of all: Thanks for supporting Git, it's not that we don't like TFS. It's more that Git fits our workflow better.

However I must ask the following:

Since version 0.8.0.0 the default in the .gitAttributes is * text = auto. Which means that every CRLF line ending will be converted to LF on commit, and vice versa upon checkout.

However this is not the way it should be in my opinion. It should be to the creator of the project to decide that. If he writes an application he should be given the choice. Some developers are not comfortable…

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi – thanks for your feedback. I checked in with the PM for that feature, and he tells me our default is the same as git.exe, and it’s also what GitHub recommends.

In case it’s helpful, the best place to file feedback for Visual Studio Git support is on this node, which the appropriate team tracks more regularly than here:
    https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/330519-team-services/category/145284-version-control-git-tfvc

Best wishes, Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

11. Provide a way to install previous versions of a NuGet package from the GUI.

In the GUI, I searched for a favorite package, but it released a new version that was not compatible with my older project. I knew the exact version I wanted, so it was pretty easy to use the command-line to install it. But I fantasized about a right-click for previous versions kind of feature right there in the GUI.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

12. MSSCCI provider 64-bit

Should exist a Team Foundation Server MSSCCI Provider 2010 for platforms with 64-bit.
    We have a huge demand for Matlab and we use the 64bit version. For our surprise we noticed that there is no 64 bit version of MSSCCI and Matlab 64 is not able to connect to the 32 bit version of it. Searching on the web we found other people with the same problem.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

13. VS Extensions integration: Productivity Power Tools and PowerCommands

Please, integrate functionality of Productivity Power Tools and PowerCommands to Visual Studio distributive, I want to have such functionality out-of-box, like in case of Eclipse or any other IDE. I need functionality of hlighting selected line etc.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

14. Manage Nuget Packages dialog should default to "Online"

When opening the Manage Nuget Packages dialog, I almost always want to add a new reference. This dialog should default to the "Online" tab instead of tracking the last tab selected. Other than add, I never want to do the same thing twice with Manage Nuget Packages. Alternatively, add and "Add Nuget Package" context menu item that always goes to "Online"

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. support SqlCmdVars when using MsDeploy dbDACFx provider

When MsDeploy 3.0 was released, it came with the new dbDACFx provider to do incremental database deployments based on dacpacs (created with Sql Server Data Tools aka .sqlproj). I would like to be able to use SqlCmdVars (supported by sqlpackage.exe) when creating msdeploy packages. These sqlCmdVars should be set using the Parameters.xml file so parameteres can be entered when using the IIS Manager Import Package wizard, the same way as fx appSettings can be entered.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

16. Include Managed Package Framework for Projects (MPF) in Visual Studio SDK

Today, there´s the Visual Studio SDK shipping with some project templates which can be used to create Visual Studio extensions, but not all resources are included in the SDK. For instance, if one would like to create a custom project system using C# or VB.NET the Managed Package Framework is required... this library (or at least the code) is available as a separate download at Codeplex. It would be nice, if that resource would also be part of the SDK, or available on Nuget...

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we havenÕt acted on it. Looking at the VS Ò15Ó plans, weÕre not going to take action on this item, so weÕre going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if thereÕs another suggestion thatÕs similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

17. Toggle enabled addins & extensions between different solutions

I often switch solutions I work with which are very domain specific. Some solutions mostly focus on C++ code with some addins build specifially for that code base, while I sometimes switch over to small C# applications where I want to use extensions that only work for C#. My problem is that right now I have to run both my c++ addins and C# addins at the same time ,some of them even conflicting with each other (VisualAssist and Resharper for instance). It would be very useful to switch what addins are loaded by default for a given solution for…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

18. Better error trapping around VS extensions

There are a number of hangs and crashes that can be attributed to poorly performing or untrapped exceptions in extensions. VS should better handle unresponsive extensions, rather than crashing itself.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

19. Visual Studio Custom Tools - add redistributable assembly to VS SDK

I guess that VSX in general missed (or did not promote enough) this simple but powerful and helpful kind of VS extending. That would be great to see in future versions of VSSDK redistributable assembly that exposes the entire base classes (like BaseCodeGeneratorWithSite) needed for Custom Tools - for single file generation as well as for multiple.

Please consider the option to provide such assembly as part of VS SDK.

Also please allow us to include this DLL as part of custom installers we develop.

Thank you in advance!

Dmitry Pavlov
    VSX Expert, Microsoft MVP

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

20. Enable support for color themes for custom colorable items in the text editor in 3rd party extensions.

Currently 3rd party extensions do not have a way to provide theme-dependent color and font settings for custom colorable items they register with the VS editor (here's a relevant discussion on MSDN forums: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/e46318aa-7652-4e5d-8836-d1bc80006f8e/language-service-support-for-color-themes-in-custom-colorable-items)

It would be nice to enable 3rd party language services to provide full support for color themes to make their integration with the VS shell totally seamless

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base