Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add SQL Server Login method in VSTS Excel Load Test results plugin

Add SQL Server Login method while generation results using VSTS Excel Load Test plugin. Currently it defaults with Windows Account.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Provide Security Code Scanning

There are a number of security code scanning tools out there, like HP Fortify, Checkmarx, and Veracode. These services are extremely expensive and unaffordable for smaller companies. With security being an increasingly important consideration, these tools should be available within Visual Studio or Team Foundation Services. I am referring to security scanning, not code quality scanning.

Please add such a tool.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Choose Suitable Pune Packers and Movers Firm for Quick and Simple Home Shifting

Both you want to move from one street to another within metropolis of Pune or want to shift out of this city to another city of Indian or abroad; hiring one of the good quality packers and movers in Pune would be a great decision to make moving easy and simple. It is but clear that you hire a professional packers and movers company to have hassle-free and tension-free relocation experience. An individual hire mover to have safe and on time transportation of your possessions at your new destination door step. You pay your hard-earned money to movers to finish…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add "expected" and "actual" to CollectionAssert.AreEqual

Current fail message:
    Message: CollectionAssert.AreEqual failed. (Different number of elements.)

I'd love to see "expected: 3, actual: 1" text besides it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Allow restoration of test suites and test cases upon accidental deletion

There appears to be no way to retrieve and restore deleted test suites or test cases upon accidental deletion. This is a major hindrance in our workflow, as accidental deletions are too easy to do. Perhaps also a confirmation for deletion would be helpful!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Area attribute of a test suite is not inherited by test cases

When you create a new test case within a test suite, the test case does not inheritate the Area attribute. This is confusing, as this is not the case for the creation of a test suite within a test suite: in this case there is an inheritance

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Include a toolbar button to start or stop live unit testing in test explorer

AFAIK, the only way to start, stop, or restart live unit testing is through the Test menu. That is just too far away.

Restarting live unit testing should be fast and simple. We need to restart in often, e.g. when content document read by a test is changed.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Allow Test Explorer to filter tests loaded by user specified assembly

Large test solutions can slow down test runs. Currently, users can unload test projects that aren't relevant to what they are currently working on to get performance improvements. Unloading projects can be cumbersome.

It'd be useful to have a configuration for the test explorer where the user can simply instruct VS to load tests only from a list of assemblies.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. allow the test and feedback tool used for work item tasks

when searching for a work item to do tests against it would be helpful If when i searched it would find work items set as tasks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add support for non-XAML components of Windows Phone Native Apps. (For example : Bluetooth, WiFi etc.)

I am using Coded UI Test Builder to automate switching on/off Bluetooth, WiFi etc on the Windows Phone, but using Coded UI Test Builder I am unable to Generate code for Bluetooth, WiFi on/off switch.

On pressing ctrl+I on the Bluetooth switch, Coded UI Test Builder fails to show hierarchy for the uielement. As a result I have to use Gesture.Tap(<Coordinates of the uielement>) and this approach doesn't gives 100% guarantee that the uielement will be tapped.

Please add support for this.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Load test gives result only after test completion

I found that when we run the load test locally, the graphs will plot automatically during running.

However, when we run load test remotely, I found that the graphs is generated only after the load test completion.

So I think that it is default that when we run load test remotely, the graphs is generated after the load test completion. And I did some research about it, but I did not find any useful message about how to get graphs plot automatically during running remotely.

So I think it is better if we get a graph while running load test…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Generate unit tests for public properties via "Create Unit Tests"

A public property in c# is like this:

public String ThisWillNotGenerateAUnitTest {
    get {
    return "";
    }
    }

Properties should be covered by the "Create Unit Tests" (e.g. when you right click on the name of a class and select "Create Unit Tests.").

This would save a lot of time and encourage better test coverage.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Test Manager - when creating tests provide way collapse the header section so more room to see test steps

In Test Manager the space to enter and see the test steps is such a small part of the screen and yet it is the most important. It woul dbe nice if there was a way to collapse the header section so more room to see test steps.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Improve test explorer display

The latest update (15.6.2) added some display tweaks where methods that produce multiple tests (such as XUnit's Theory) are now displayed with a parent node to provide group level information. I actually like this approach, but there are a few issues and suggestions to improve it.

First, my big complaint! XUnit allows you to control a test's name displayed in runners in various ways. The simplest is to set the methodDisplay setting. I use this to display just the method name, as including the namespace and class name makes for a very long and unreadable name. Unfortunately, the parent node,…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Merge code coverage of compiler generated methods

When testing async methods, the code coverage reports all these methods separate from implementing class.
    This is because the async/await handling is realized by compiler generated sub-classes.
    It would be very helpful if the results of these sub-classes would be merged into the implementing class with the original method name.

Another suggestion is focusing the anonymous methods, which is quite similar issue:
    https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015/suggestions/12290907-code-coverage-report-should-group-nested-classes-j

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Select the failing test when clicking in group summary

When running all tests and the Test Explorer is in 'Show Tests Hierarchy' mode, all tests are grouped by project and collapsed.
    If a test is now failing, the Group Summary window shows it (and all parent nodes of the failing test show it has a failing test), but it would be nice to be able to double click on 'x Test Failed' in the Group Summary window to expand to the (first) failing test in that group

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Save the Test Explorer Search text

When you close visual studio the current filter on the test explorer is not saved anywhere but discarded. It would be very useful to me if visual studio would save this setting and re-apply ti when the solution was reopened.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Within Visual Studio, show the test results for a User Story in the Test Cases tab (as opposed to test case design status).

Within Visual Studio, show the test results for a User Story in the Test Cases tab (as opposed to test case design status).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Bring back Ctrl+R, F keyboard shortcut to run failed tests

Visual Studio used to have Ctrl+R, F to run failed tests. It is easy enough in the Test Explorer view with tests sorted by Outcome to select them and run again, but I try to stay on the keyboard as much as possible rather than jump over to the mouse. I miss this keyboard shortcut. Was there a reason it was taken away? Or just an oversight and not much feedback to bring it back?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base