Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. For Test Explorer in VS 2017 15.8, clear the Group Summary view when restarting another test run

When I complete a batch of tests, I see in the Test Explorer window the Group Summary view shows the Duration and number of passed/failed tests. If I make a code change to be tested and recompile, I will rerun the batch again. However, the Group Summary still shows the results of the last run, without any indication that I have started another run.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Play sound after unit test run

I can already play a sound after a build succeeds or fails. Please extend this by letting us play a sound when ALL my unit tests pass and a different sound if ANY of them fail. There is an extension (Ding) that does this, but it doesn't look like it supports VS2017.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Query for all test cases not in a test suite/plan

Testers often remove test cases from suites leaving them orphaned in the system. When we update test cases we spend a lot of time on items no longer used.
    Cleanup would be much easier if there is a means to query on test cases that are not in a test suite or test plan.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Allow sequential (i.e. not parallel) test execution in MSTest

A portion of my test cases check the modifications performed by the code under test upon a database. For this I need to create and populate the database before each case. As the database name is the same, I cannot successfully execute a bunch of test cases without them clashing upon each other, and yielding a bouquet of exceptions.

What I'd love to see is (suggestions in the order of priority):
    - An attribute stating that this particular test category belongs to a set of categories, which need to be executed sequentially
    - A UI-controlled setting in Test Settings to…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Multiple instances of a shared step in the same test case iteration

It would be nice if there was a way to have the same shared step twice, with different parameters, in the same test iteration. Here's an example of where this is needed:

- Change config setting from X to Y (shared step A)
    - Check system behavior
    - Change config setting back to X (shared step A)
    - Check system behavior

Shared step A is embedded twice in this test case.

Here's where someone else described the same idea:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d27a6e1f-2419-4f9d-bdfa-ff7980e125cf/parameterized-shared-step-usage-in-test-case-for-multiple-times-in-same-iteration?forum=vsmantest

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Honor negative regular expressions such as <telerik:RadTextBox(.(?!MaxLength))* in Find and Replace

Using Visual Studio 2015 I was trying to find instances of lines that contain RadTextBox that did not contain MaxLength. I found an example of a search expression that does just that - <telerik:RadTextBox(.(?!MaxLength))* - and tested it successfully on http://regexpal.com/. When i tried the expression in Find and Replace it returned all instances where the line contained RadTextBox including those that also contained MaxLength.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Implement UNREAL ENGINE holograms

Let me use UNREAL to build holograms. I have 10 years of unreal development under my belt and never heard of unity until they got blessed with the holographic code.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. VSTS load test QUESTION : While recording the webPerformanceTest, is it is possible to clear / force to clear cachewithout stopping

Hi , VSTS load test : While recording the webPerformanceTest, is it is possible to clear / force to clear cachewithout stopping or closing the IE on recorder?

As our application uses the cache mechanism and this is causing issue as we need to extract the cache request's response to pass the values to the other requests. Is it is possible to get any feature which allows while recording between steps, if i want to clear cache and it will allow me to get capture all the requests as it is not cached.

Below thread i started to check with…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add a tool tip to explain what the little red badge on code coverage results means

There's a little red (wrong way?) badge on the root icon of the Code Coverage Results hierarchy. I was asked about it and have no clue what it means (all the tests are passing). Searching for information on it didn't help. Does it mean we're not at 100% coverage? It doesn't appear that it means the coverage results are out of date.

I'd expect that hovering the pointer over it would give tell me what it's trying to alert me to, but nothing useful shows up.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Test results should be sorted

The test results within any group should be sorted in the following priority:
    First, list tests run in the most recent run.
    Then list failures first, then skipped tests, then successful results.
    Then sort remaining tests alphabetically.

This will help locate problems first, and help locate any particular test.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. MSTest - Quick navigation to Initialize methods from a Test Method

Now It's a little difficult to find the TestInitialize, ClassInitialize, AssemblyInitialize methods from a TestMethod; if you have lot of test in big test classes. I have to find them with "Find in files.." function.
    I suggest to add a quick menu from the method item to navigate to one of the initialization methods.
    Also could be better if possible to see in a visual way the initialization methods for every method in Unit Test Explorer.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. VS for Linux could be used in QT

VS2017 for linux debug function could also be used in QT project.So I can debug QT project for linux in VS2017 windows

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Queuing Test scenario on test agent

You cannot vote on your own post

Hi Team,

I am writing here due to my unanswered question. My case is simple. I have five UI automation tests all are kept in separate classes along with there [ClassInitialize], [ClassCleanup] and[DataSource("Source"), TestMethod] methods. In these three methods I perform launch -login, test flow and closing application respectively.

I have created load test and added three scenarios with single test each. Three Agents machines are connected to my controller. I want to perform load as below-

Scenario1 and Scenario2 on TA1

Scenario2 and Scenario3 on TA2

Scenario1 and Scenario3 on TA3

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. CodedUI - provide a feature to restrict time on tests within an ordered test

When you create an ordered test, there is no way to set the maximum amount of time an invididual test can run until it is considered a failure, so if one of the test in your ordered test takes a ridiculous amount for some reason, it really delays the rest of the entire ordered test. It would be nice to be able to do this like when you run a normal suite of tests and have access to the .testsettings file which can enforce this.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. inconsistence in executing outcome between TFS2017 & TFS2015

I created a test method that uses "Assert.Inconclusive(skipMessage)" function. On TFS2015, the executing outcome is done, but on TFS2017 the executing outcome is not executed.

Could you please help me to make the outcome is done when using "Assert.Inconclusive(skipMessage)" on TFS2017?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Using the Verify option to re-run multiple tests (when associated to a single bug)

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351793/using-the-verify-option-to-re-run-multiple-tests-w.html
    The 'verify' bug option is fantastic when there is a 1:1 link between a test and bug, however where bugs that apply to multiple tests (i.e you associate an existing bug via the runner), if this was capable of re-running all associated tests when verifying a fix I would love you forever and ever.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allows opening files without using OpenFilePicker in the unit test environment for Universal Apps

In most cases it is difficult to write test classes without having direct access to the whole filesystem

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. CodedUI : Add functionality for text block controls without needing to create a custom control

Add functionality for text block controls without needing to create a custom control.

Currently if you want to interact with a TextBlock control within a data template you have to create a custom control and update the xaml of every text block control (see hyperlink below).

Is there a way to support accessibility to TextBlock controls without the extra steps?

Current Workaround (Very time consuming): http://www.jonathanantoine.com/2011/11/09/coded-ui-tests-my-textblock-is-not-found-how-to-find-it/

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base