Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow "Associate to Test Case" functionality for MSTest V2 from Visual Studio

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351590/allow-associate-to-test-case-functionality-for-mst.html
    MSTest V2 no longer supports "Associate to Test Case" from Visual Studio. Googling around it looks like it is still possible to do this from the REST API.

Please add this functionality back for MSTest V2.

70 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow Live Unit testing in Professional edition!

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351511/allow-live-unit-testing-in-professional-edition.html
    Please consider allowing Live Unit Testing to be available for Professional Edition developers. Many companies will not justify the cost of Enterprise for this feature and it would be incredibly useful especially for a single engineer, which the Enterprise edition is not the demographic for.

68 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Provide the ability to resume a test in MTM that is 'In Progress' or 'Failed'

I'm having an issue when using MTM via the Testing Center in that when I have a test in the following states:

1) In Progress

2) Failed

I do not have the ability to resume these tests...the 'Resume' button is greyed out. This is frustrating as there may be a time that I want to continue a test from a previous state without having to start from the beginning again.

This functionality is something that definitely needs including as a new feature, as users migrating from HP QualityCenter to MTM will find this very frustrating, as I do

Cheers

Andy

64 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Test Controller for VS 2015 for running of automated test cases from MTM in lab environment

Test controller for VS 2015 for running of automated test cases from MTM in lab environment.

Test Controller 2013.5 exist but it is needed for 2015 as well.

63 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Enable IntelliTest to run in the build pipeline

Run IntellIiTest in the build pipeline to explore new code and generate/evolve unit tests.

58 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Create an official NuGet package with TextTransform.exe

There is a package https://www.nuget.org/packages/Clarius.TransformOnBuild/ which would benefit from that package.

This would allow to transform T4 templates on build on CI server without requiring to install Visual Studio or SDKs

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Fix Test Explorer output (monospace font and output not via link)

Arguably a great thing with VS2012/2013 was a new faster test executer. However, the new Test Explorer is in almost all ways a lot worse than the old version. One thing particular is that this UI completely disregard normal code fonts and uses a non-monospace font which causes output formatting to not follow normal trace output in the output window. Since every single developer in the world most likely at one point has depended on monospace font to get formatting right in traces this inconsistency is extremely annoying.

Not only the for the fact that to actually get to trace…

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Default schema comparison options of database projects

In VS2010 it was possible to configure the default options for every schema comparison of database projects. So it was possible to configure the compare options just once and not every time I need to launch a schema comparison. It would be good that VS2015 allowed to configure this options. I attach a screenshoot of how it's configured in VS2010

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Show test description (DescriptionAttribute) in Test Explorer

Unit tests can have a useful Description attribute that allows tagging tests with a short description. Currently, this information is nowhere shown in Test Explorer and it's inconvenient having to navigate to the source to lookup the description of a test. I propose showing the description if present in the lower pane in Test Explorer when selecting a test.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Easy means of refreshing tests in Test explorer

One frustrating experience I am having is that test explorer doesn't identify a new test or test project I included in the project. Could you make it easier to refresh by including a refresh button or similar functionality.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Task Runner: add ConfigurationName command line param to Gulp/Grunt command line

There's currently no easy way of altering the behavior of Gulp scripts based on the current project build configuration (Release/Debug etc).

If you passed the current build config as a parameter to gulp we could use something like yargs (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23023650/is-it-possible-to-pass-a-flag-to-gulp-to-have-it-run-tasks-in-different-ways) to adjust script processing as required, for example only perform Javascript minification on Release builds.

Example command line (note extra command line arg at the end):

cmd.exe /c gulp -b "C:\Solution1\Test.WebSite" --color --gulpfile "C:\Solution1\Test.WebSite\Gulpfile.js" default -Release

(Note: I haven't used Grunt but I assume the same problem also exists when running Grunt via the task scheduler.)

Cheers,
    Nick

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow Boost Test Cases to be grouped into a Test Suite and reflect the same in the Test Explorer Window

In Native Unit Tests, a TEST_METHOD can be grouped under a TEST_CLASS and the same is reflected in the Test Explorer.

In a similar fashion, I would like to group BOOST_AUTO_TEST_CASE under BOOST_AUTO_TEST_SUITE and same be reflected in the Test Explorer.

Example Code:

BOOST_AUTO_TEST_SUITE( test_suite1 )

BOOST_AUTO_TEST_CASE( test_case1 ){ BOOST_ERROR( "some error 1" ); }

BOOST_AUTO_TEST_CASE( test_case2 ){ BOOST_ERROR( "some error 2" ); }

BOOST_AUTO_TEST_SUITE_END()

In the above example, two Test Cases belong to a common Test Suite.
    Hence i would like these two test cases be grouped under this Test Suite and reflected in the Test Explorer Window.

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add full namespace of test for VSTest.console.exe result

When run Unit Test with MSTest, it will show full namespace of the test method in test result as below:
    Passed MyCompany.UnitTests.BusinessEntities.PaymentCardTests

But in VSTest.consolse.exe, there just test method shown in test result:
    Passed NewPaymentCard_PaymentList

When the test method names are not unique, we could not confirm which tests are passed and which are failed.

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Enable IntelliTest to generate tests for ASP.NET vNext projects

Please extend IntelliTest to enable generating tests for ASP.NET vNext projects.

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Ability to specify per test method timeout in runsettings file or in commandline

At present, the only way to specify timeout is by adding "Timeout" attribute. It is not practical to add timeout attribute to every test method in entire code base. When running tests as part of a continuous build, the ability to specify per test timeout through command line or a runsettings file is required.

Note: There is an older way to do this using testsettings file, but that automatically forces vstest.console.exe to switch to the older mstest.exe, which is not ideal.

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. TFS 2015 does not show UnitTest standard output

I did some transform on the server for my UnitTests from xUnit Xml to Trx as part of my build. This way TFS can show the UnitTest counts in the build summary. That part works fine, the user can see the count of the UnitTests on the summary of the build. The user can also click the link and see the list of UnitTests that were run under the "Test results" tab. UnitTest List

However when you double click one of the tests to see the standard output from the UnitTest, TFS does not show the standard output.

When I…

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Enable IntelliTest leverage existing unit tests

Enable IntelliTest to leverage existing unit tests in my test project so that it can focus on generating tests not already covered.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Enable IntelliTest to show code coverage

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351396/enable-intellitest-to-show-code-coverage.html
    Enable IntelliTest to show me the lines of code that it has been able to cover (in addition to the current block coverage count that is displayed).

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Pass intent, rather than a list of tests, to test explorer adapters

( From https://github.com/nunit/nunit-vs-adapter/issues/125 )

NUnit has the concept of "explicit tests". These are tests marked with an Explicit attribute which indicates that these tests should only be run when explicitly selected.

When running tests using "Run All" in the VS Test Explorer, the test explorer tells the NUnit adapter to "run all tests". This means the adapter can choose to ignore tests which are marked explicit.

However, when running tests by selected a project, or a class, the test explorer first creates a list of all the tests in that project or class and hands that list of tests to…

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)