Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Visual Studio 2015 Test Playlist Order

Vs2015 now no longer honours the test playlist order (it did in previous editions), See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20711300/controlling-execution-order-of-unit-tests-in-visual-studio

While https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms182631.aspx tells use how to do ordered tests, this is impractical for 1000s of tests. We don’t want to create an ordered test, we want to control the order of the tests in a test run.

So my request or plea :

>> Please provide an option when running playlists to maintain the playlist order

While the "theory" is the order does not matter, due to class setup times the result of this is tests can take up to x10 longer than before.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add support for uploading additional automated test results formats to MTM

Currently only TRX test results can be uploaded to MTM.
    This makes MTM an unattractive option for many projects.

With the .Net core move away from MSTest (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2016/02/23/porting-msbuild-to-net-core/) and added support of Java (and other languages/technologies) in VSTS it feels like we should be able to upload different automated test results types.

Ideally I would like to be able to upload the following result types:
    NUnit 3
    NUnit 2
    XUnit
    Junit 3
    Junit 4
    TestNG

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. support code coverage for coded ui tests without running in isolation

My Coded UI Tests run perfectly with vstest.console.exe.
    But if I am using /EnableCodeCoverage it runs automaticly with option /inIsolation and then most of my test cases fail.
    I think the reason for this is that my application is running some code in threads and then waiting for the response. I am using the CUITs for end to end tests.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. [TFS] Test module - Add the ability to filter Runs by TeamFields

Currently, when user wants to see the list of Runs (Test -> Runs), they are listed and filtered only by Area. User doesn't have many options to narrow the list of runs and it would be very useful if filtering Runs by TeamFields is enabled too. If several Scrum Teams are under the same Area it is not possible to filter out the runs performed by a particular team.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Powerful coverage tool with same features than dotCover

dotCover is a powerful code coverage tool which is user friendly and allows a lot of interesting features like:
    - CodedUI tests coverage
    - Generated code or not wanted code exclusion from coverage
    - Readable statistics
    But dotCover doesn't work with MS Fakes shims (fatal bug).

Default code coverage tool of Visual Studio doesn't have all of these interesting features and is not user friendly.

So, I suggest a better Visual Studio tool for code coverage which contains all of powerful features of dotCover, but without its bugs.

Thanks!

Alex

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Customize coded UI test results

After Coded UI test, the test results (.html file), we could not modify the ,html file except programming by ourselves. I hope we could add some useful information to it, and we could group the TestMethod results. Just like the following case that a community’s requirement.
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/5346d34a-14b0-4640-922c-b1dff2df90b6/group-coded-ui-test-results?forum=vsunittest

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. enable lntellitest support of shared projects

VS2015 IntelliTest doesn't support creating unit tests for the classes in shared projects.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Improve the export of test plan/test results

It is possible to export the test plan with suites to printer or email, why not Excel?
    It seems the export only contains the test cases, with or without steps etc. but where are the test results?

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Give some way of resetting the Unit Tests status to not run

Give some way of resetting the Unit Tests status to not run without having to close the solution and re-opening it. There are some times I want to just see the unit test I currently am working with in the failed or passed section but to get there I have to change to another solution or close and re-open my current solution. It would be nice to have a menu item at the top of the test explorer or a right click option on the tests to reset it for specific tests. I would say if it gets reset then…

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Automatic refresh for query based suites when clicking on suite

When we have a query based suite, upon clicking on the query based suite to view the tests, it would be nice if the query was automatically ran upon the click to give the user a refreshed set of tests that match the query. This eliminate the need for the user to hit a refresh button and give them the most up to date list of tests cases.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add requirements suite for Bug in MTM

We can add requirement suite for Bug through web access (Requirement-based suite > Query conditions: work item type -- In Group -- Microsoft.BugCategory > Select a bug > Create suites). But we can't do this in MTM, we can't add requirement suite for Bug in MTM.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow screen capture while using TFS Web Access like the TFS MTM client does today

Currently the TFS client for MTM allows testers to capture, and automatically attach a screenshot during testing. That feature is the main reason none of our testers have switched to Web Access, it is not supported at this time.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Reset Test Window Summary and Counts

I apologize if this is in the wrong category.

As a user, when I click to run tests I would like the Summary from the previous test to clear and the counts to reset to reflect the tests being run again.

I would like this to happen If I Run All Tests, Run Failed Tests, or Repeat Last Run.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Provide support for electronic signatures which can meet the requirements of 21 CFR Part 11.

Provide the means for a tester to electronically sign their results. It isn't enough that MTM 2015 shows the test runner in the test outcomes unless it can be demonstrated that the system positively identifies the person that ran a test and that person cannot be impersonated. Test records need to show who did what, when.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. [TFS] Enhance Discussion functionality

As Discussion field is very limited with text editor options, it should be more similar to Description field in terms of field functionality. Could you please consider:

1) Making URL in the Discussion field clickable. Currently, it is displayed just as plain text and user needs to copy/paste URL into the browser. So, with this functionality enabled, user would be able to click the URL and new tab would be opened.Current solution by referencing the URL in Links section is not user friendly at all.

2) Referencing attachments added to a Work Item directly in the comment. User should be…

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Mark data-driven tests run with "Run Functional Tests" task failed if one iteration fails

Not sure if this might even be a bug:

When using the vNext build task "Run Functional Tests" to run data-driven tests (test cases on TFS with multiple test parameters), only one successful iteration currently will mark the whole test as passed successfully.

If one or more iterations failed while other iterations went successful, there is no hint at all in the task result summary or test result. Only if you open the attached TRX file from the test result, in Visual Studio you will see test failures.

This makes the whole test result reporting useless.

A data-driven test should…

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Pressing F5 on a test project should run tests in Test Explorer

This has been suggested before, but didn't get enough votes - Let's see if we can ********* the radar this time!!! (https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/11317458-pressing-f5-on-a-test-project-should-run-tests-in)

Right now if you Start a unit test project through F5, you get an error dialog stating that "A project with an Output Type of Class Library cannot be started directly."

(Oddly enough, I get caught by this every time - Maybe I'm not writing enough tests!!!)

A nice solution would be to set the Start action on unit test projects to the same action as Debug Selected Tests, and open the Test Explorer if it…

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base