Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. have an icon only view in the test explorer window

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351745/have-an-icon-only-view-in-the-test-explorer-window.html
    When I am running my unit tests, I don't really care to see the names of the tests. I'm much more interested in the red(x) vs green(check) icons - and more specifically, just the failing tests. If a test fails, I can click on it to see it's name - since I'm usually double-clicking it to navigate to the test itself. I would love to see an icon-only view, such as the one in the attached mockup I created.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow creation of bugs from automated test cases

We would like the ability to create bugs from Microsoft Test Manager from a test case that is automated. We can do this with manual test cases, but would like the ability for automated test cases to copy over the repro steps.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add full test reporting capabilities to Team Services

Lightweight charts do not provide enough information for reporting purposes and manual reports need to be built in Excel, which is not easy due to Outcome not being available in Queries. Add the pre-built Excel reporting functionality that are available in on-premise TFS.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Run inherited tests when running tests from a test class.

In the Visual Studio Test Runner, f you have a test class that inherits from a base class that has some tests, running the tests in the test class does not run the inherited tests. Running the test class' tests should also run the inherited tests.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Having a feature to specify the Start and End times in "LoadTest Report Excel Addin" for each LoadTest Run

Having a feature to specify the Start and End times in "LoadTest Report Excel Addin" for each LoadTest Run would be greatly beneficial for filtering Rampup and Rampdown time and the get the Average and 90th percetile response times during the steady state period of the test.
    Currently LoadTest Report addin in Excel 2013 is used to connect to Visual Studio WebTest Report database(LoadTest2010) and compare two tests for the full run duration. It may not be like to like comparison if the run times are diffrent.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Coded UI suport for SAP as SAp is where most of the tests are automated and people are ready to invest in automaiton

Enterprise applications like SAP and AX are long term investments and IT managers are spending their money for automaton as the ROI is good and that's where MS VS also should focus their energy to make Coded UI as the preferred automation tool and win against competition like QTP and Renorex

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Unit tests no more working after installing KB3165756 on VS2015 Update 3

I've just installed KB3165756 and unit tests don't work anymore.

The unit test panel is empty and when I run tests nothing happens. It says that tests have run but nothing in TestResults and execution time is only about 2 seconds.

I'm working on a french version of VS2015.

An other person in my office installed the patch and he gets the same issue.

Very annoying bug !

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Allow TestAdaptersPaths in .runsettings to be relative

The TestAdaptersPaths field of the .runsettings file does not seem to allow relative paths. This makes it very hard to manage.

Please support relative paths for this field.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Make Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.DataSource.CSV work under 64bit again

Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.DataSource.CSV works fine in 32bit, but not under 64bit.

Makes it a fairly useless feature if we can only unit test under 1 architecture, and quite painful, in that none of the documentation that describes this feature mentions that it only works under 32 bit environments.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow TFS test suites to be linked under a user story (requirement)

TFS currently allows a user story to have Test Case work items linked under it. But a large user story may have hundreds of test cases that are difficult to organize. It would be better to have a user story with Static Test Suites linked under it, and then test cases within those suites.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Ability to delete Test plans on VS2013

Deleting a test plan is impossible in VS 2013, whoever came up with thee idea of removing this feature was not smart enough to work in the software word. Please re-add, it;s like TFS punishes for making a mistake. It's very frustrating to know that the feature was available in prior versions and you took it away.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Microsoft Test Manager Themes

Add themes for Microsoft Test Manager like Visual Studio IDE.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. sort function for "build in use" in MTM when "Run Options" window appears.

sort function for "build in use" in MTM when "Run Options" window appears.
    When you run test and Pop up "Run Options" appear" the dropdown list will contain biulds sorted by date. This would be much nicer to sort them alpabetically.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Visual Studio Test cases are not executed if one of the test agent machines goes down.

When we run tests via test controller and test agents configuration, during the runtime, if own test agent machine shut down or test agent closed etc. the subsequent tests are not executed anymore, I mean all of the test cases running on the other test agents machine will also get failed.
    We think we could make test tools more robust in the future, please refer to this thread:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/0ce0d115-fd34-4750-ac96-b6eb2b45acec/visual-studio-test-rig-setup-test-cases-are-not-executed-if-one-of-the-agent-machines-goes-down?forum=vstest

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Option to automatically assign object ID in ASP.NET from Visual Studio

When writing automated script for UI testing I rely on identifying the object by the object id. However, often times developers may overlook assigning an object ID since they're not coding to test.

It would be great if VS would have a flag that can be set by developers such that it will automatically assign all objects a unique ID. Developers of course can still modify and change the object ID if there's a specific ID they want to use in their code. However, by having this feature, it will be less work for developers, but still keep QA happy…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. SQL Server UnitTest - Data Checksum Test Condition

Please add the ability to mask tables and columns that should not contribute to the checksum calculation. This would especially be useful in verifying stored procedure results. There exists no other means of manually selecting or restricting results that can be expressed in the test script. (at least not to my knowledge)

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow multiple filter clauses in Test Explorer

I would like to be able to filter by multiple criteria in Test Explorer, such as project and class. When a project has a lot of tests, I need to get the list refined as much as possible.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Bring back the test list editor in coded UI test as was available in VS 2010 in VS 2013

please bring back the test list editor in coded UI test as was available in VS 2010.It was very useful and handy while at work.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Not possible to work on steps in Excel

Steps are defined in the form of HTML in the test case.
    When we connect to a TFS Query via Excel (with the team addin), steps are loosing html information.
    Therefore, we are not able to work on test steps in Excel, as we are not authotised to upload changes.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base