Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make running "MSTest" tests MUCH faster

Running unit tests using MSTest is very slow (when compared to alternative farameworks like NUnit). Whilst I love the integration with TFS, code coverage and the like at times even a small test project takes so long to run that it seriously disrupts your "flow".

114 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I am closing this issue as it is a little confusing – it is not clear whether the issue is talking about the MSTest test framework, or the MSTest.exe runner, or the vstest.console.exe runner, or the Test Explorer.

If you meant making running MSTest test framework based tests faster, please vote on the GitHub issue here: https://github.com/Microsoft/testfx/issues/142 with a thumbs up.

Pratap Lakshman
    Visual Studio Team

2. Coded UI Test Editor should show exported methods

Often the Coded UI test editor is used as a reference for available recorded methods. This functionality is lost after exporting any method to code.

To solve this problem the Coded UI Test Editor should list any method from the UIMap's code behind file that are public. This could possibly be limited to public void methods with no parameters to match the code generated in the UIMap's designer file.

The Before Export file shows the Coded UI Test Editor after recording a couple of test methods.

The After Export file shows how I believe the Coded UI Test Editor should…

94 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.
    - The Visual Studio Team

3. Bring Back Private Accessor

Deprecated with VS 2012, I think the work suggestions around are not really handy (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh507838.aspx).

Using PrivateObject is not really productive. In case you need to rename a method, you have to do a String.Replace. Not type safe, no IntelliSense support.

To create a reflection framework by myself does not seem to be a valid option. Who has the time to build up the required knowledge and support the framework?

Declaring the code needed by the test as internal and use InternalsVisibleToAttribute means to soften my initial intention on who should be able to access the code. When…

84 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

4. Test Tools in VS 2012 - Merge UIMap Actions into One Method

Within the UIMap there is a function that will split a UI Action into 2 methods. What I would like to do is just the opposite. Due to the instability of the Coded UI Test Builder, and the unpredictability of playback I have many Methods in the UIMap that I would like to merge into 1 Method.

78 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

5. 77 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Improved Coded UI Test Extensibility for SAP using Visual Studio 2012

As a tester role it would be nice to be able to quickly create and maintain Coded UI tests for 3rd party apps where we can still leverage off the great Testing framework Microsoft ALM offers.

Extending the Coded UI tests is currently available but information on how to implement it is hard to come by and understand.

If Coded UI test extensibility was made easier is adoption into business would seem more alluring due to the fact that competitor software to automate tests for say, SAP, is very expensive and ****** to maintain

69 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

7. Add real time code coverage

Extend the new option to run your unit tests automatically after each build can with real time code coverage like NCrunch(http://www.ncrunch.net/). It gives realtime updates of which code is covered and which not (or partial).

65 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

8. Add command line options to vstest.console.exe to select playlists, traits or namespaces

The different options available to select tests in Visual Studio 2012 should be available from the vstest.console.exe command line. This would allow custom build definitions to be created that would run specific tests such as Unit Tests for a Continuous Integration build

64 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

9. Attributes for Data Driven Unit Tests

Please enhance Visual Studio Unit Tests for better support of data driven unit test, like NUnit TestCase attribute.

[TestCase(1, 1, 2)]
    [TestCase(1, 2, 3)]
    [TestCase(1, 4, 5)]
    public void test_Add(int x, int y, int result)
    {
    Assert.AreEqual(MyUtils.Add(x, y), result);
    }

Such an attribute is urgently needed for testing methods with several test cases.

63 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

10. It will be useful if Coded UI test can report system memory usage

Hi there

It will be very helpful if there is an option to monitor and report system memory usage using Coded UI test. At the moment it is not possible while testing a win 32 application

Thanks

63 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

11. Why Visual studio 2013 doesn't have easy way to run multiple selected webtest/coded web test?

I work in a company which has 100 of client sites and I have coded web tests for all those sites as well as I have couple of coded UI test and load test to verify those sites login and up and running or not by using visual studio 2010 ultimate, I can easily run all those tests or partial number of tests easily from the Test view or from the Test list editor of VS 2010. Every month during our IT maintenance I run all those web and coded UI tests.

Now I have installed Visual Studio 2013 ultimate,…

62 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we havenÕt acted on it. Looking at the VS Ò15Ó plans, weÕre not going to take action on this item, so weÕre going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if thereÕs another suggestion thatÕs similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

12. Fix the exceptions that are raised and eaten internally after debugging unit tests

After debugging a unit test, several InvalidOperationException and CommunicationObjectAbortedException errors are thrown and caught within the unit test framework. If you go to Debug --> Exceptions and check Common Language Runtime Exceptions --> Thrown, then the debugger breaks on every one of these exceptions.

Can you please change the test framework code where it won't raise these exceptions? It's very annoying to have core Microsoft code that's throwing and eating exceptions after every unit test debugging session. I had hoped this would be fixed in VS 2012 Update 1, but it still has the same problem.

I originally logged this…

61 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

13. Output the ignored tests from an MSTest run in the .trx file.

Currently, the .trx file from an MSTest run only includes the following attributes in the ResultSummary node.

<ResultSummary outcome="Completed">
    <Counters total="504" executed="504" passed="504" error="0" failed="0" timeout="0" aborted="0" inconclusive="0" passedButRunAborted="0" notRunnable="0" notExecuted="0" disconnected="0" warning="0" completed="0" inProgress="0" pending="0" />
    </ResultSummary>

If you run the tests from within Visual Studio, it reports the number of ignored tests. Just not from the command line runner. Ignored tests are a good way to tell if someone is sweeping a problem under the rug to avoid fixing an issue.

Build systems such as CruiseControl.NET have a field for Ignored Tests on the Statistics page and if…

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

14. Test Explorer Search - filter on "No Traits"

When using traits to categorise automated tests in Visual Studio, it would be very useful to be able to set up a search filter in the Test Explorer to include only tests that have no traits.

Typically there are a large number of Unit Tests and a smaller number of Integration Tests, so it is less effort to mark the smaller number of Integration Tests with a TestCategory attribute of "Integration" and leave the Unit Tests with no traits.

In Visual Studio, I want to run only the Unit Tests, which can be done manually by grouping on Trait. However,…

50 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we havenÕt acted on it. Looking at the VS Ò15Ó plans, weÕre not going to take action on this item, so weÕre going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if thereÕs another suggestion thatÕs similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

15. In Coded UI Testing support complex controls like AutoCompletebox

Right now in coded ui testing we have to create some extension class and do some extra exercise to test Auto complete box And other Control
    in that case what if i have only the exe file not code so i will not be able to test complex control i think in wpf toolkit and wpf extented toolkit Coded Ui testing should work directly without any extra exercise
    for more details go to following link
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsautotest/thread/10479885-7789-4268-9a85-55063274832d/#d63d6014-a848-40f0-8cd2-dc40faf3650d

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

16. Automatically run code coverage after test run

In VS 12 you can run tests automatically after build by checking the Test/Test Settings/Run Tests after Build.
    To see code coverage you have to do that manually afterwards. If a similar setting was done for code coverage Test/Test Settings/Run Code Coverage after Test, and by setting the Code coloring on (showing what code is covered by a test in blue, non-covered in red), we could easily see the covered code while coding, and updating automatically. This will keep the developers focus on the coding, but at the same time include the test and coverage data easily visible.

PS: There…

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

17. fix roadblocks to building mstest extensions

There is some documentation on the net about mstest extensibility but it has a terribly complicated deployment process that makes it sadly underutilized.

A few links:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vstsqualitytools/archive/2009/09/04/extending-the-visual-studio-unit-test-type-part-2.aspx
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/qingsongyao/archive/2012/03/28/examples-of-mstest-extension.aspx
    http://www.digitaltapestry.net/blog/extending-mstest

Allow the same unit test project to define and consume ms test extensions. Allow a unit test project to consume ms test extensions defined in class libraries which are referenced by the unit test project. Provide a more robust set of features for implementing ms test extensions (ive never written an extension so i dont know what these are, but if there do exist any major gaps in this existing extensibility…

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

18. Make downloading test results from TFS faster

When tests fail, I can only see the number of tests that failed in the build summary. To see which tests fail, I have to download the test results. That often takes several attempts VS complains that it cannot connect to TFS, even though it should be able to, and retrying several times sooner or later works. However, even when VS can connect to TFS, it sometimes takes minutes to download the results.

I'd like to see 2 changes:
    1) include the Name of the failed tests in the build summary, so that I can see them directly without having…

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

19. Bring back Data Generation Plans

Our team used these extensively for integration testing and now they're gone. We're left wondering if we now have to manually script all our automated test data 2012 projects.

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

20. All testing features starting from the professional edition

Test impact and MTM introduce great testing support for functional and no functional test that it should be available to all developers. The ultimate edition price reduce the opportunity for small/medium company to use this kind of functionalities.

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base