Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide Microsoft Fakes with all Visual Studio editions

Include Microsoft Fakes with all editions of Visual Studio including Professional edition rather than being restricted to developers with Ultimate editions of Visual Studio. This will allow all Visual Studio developers to leverage the capabilities of the Fakes mocking library since mocking/stubbing is a necessary part of every developer's Unit Testing toolbelt.

1,454 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    124 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make MS Test Framework Opensouce

So many things in the Microsoft universie is open sourced but MS Test is currently not. Please makemit opensource so we can enhance it with additional features as well as removeing old flaws.

531 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Remove the requirment for Internet Explorer 10 to be installed first prior to VS 2013

So our corporate standard is IE9 and this is fine up through VS2012 but now I find trying to install VS2013 on a test machine that it requires IE10 and no way around this. MS seems determined to force the latest changes on developers for no good reason, it now seems to all about revolution and not evolution. Why on earth do we need the latest version of a browser to use Visual Studio 2013. Seriously guys stop beating on the people who write the software that makes the MS software ecosystem work.

416 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    54 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m pleased to say that today we’ve updated Visual Studio 2013 installers to enable VS 2013 to be installed on Windows 7 machines running IE8 or IE9. Visual Studio 2013 still works best with IE10 or higher, and you’ll need to have that on your machine in order to get the full experience for some scenarios. We’ve updated knowledge base (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=330043) with the details on specific VS2013 experiences that require IE10. Today’s update impacts only the VS2013 setup; no changes have been made to Visual Studio itself, so if you have it installed already, there’s nothing you need to do. However, if you were previously unable to install Visual Studio 2013 due to IE system requirements, you can now re-launch setup from our download page (http://aka.ms/getvs)
    or MSDN subscriber downloads (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/downloads/).

Thanks to our UserVoice community for all your feedback and patience as we…

4. Run unit tests in parallel

As a developer I want to the Test Explorer to optionally run unit tests in parallel, regardless of the unit test framework so that my unit test runs finish faster on my multi-core machine.

As a developer I want to mark specific tests as single threaded with an attribute so that those tests that specifically don't work in a multi-threaded environment will still work when I run tests in parallel.

384 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    22 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Enable IntelliTest to generate test code in XUnit, NUnit and other frameworks

Please extend IntelliTest to support generating tests in XUnit, NUNit, and other frameworks.

304 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. problem in test explorer of VS2015 update3

In test explorer of VS2015 update3, there is a feature of “Configure continuous integration” added and I could not let it not show. Whether could add a function for hiding this message. And there is a community who has a same idea, please refer to the following thread:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/7f1ea4a4-715e-4f62-927b-9e3d40d6fe9c/vs-2015-update-3-test-explorer-unwanted-ad?forum=vsunittest

128 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  11 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Enable TLS 1.2/1.1 during Click once Setup

Enable TLS 1.2/1.1 during ClickOnce Setup.

We need to disable TLS 1.0 by June for compliance. During testing of this we have found that our application connect correctly after a minor change. However, the ClickOnce setup only negotiates a TLS 1.0 connection.

Please either enable TLS 1.2 by default with a fallback to 1.1/1.0 or give the ability to turn it on during the build.

112 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Also allow [TestCategory] on test class

I'd like to be able to put all tests in a test class in the same category. At the current time (VS2012 update 3), you have to place the attribute on every test method. It's tedious for large test classes and increases maintenance costs unnecessarily.

56 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Make it possible to create a performance session for an individual unit test in VS2012

In VS2010 this could be done through the Test Results window from the right click menu but this no longer seems to be available in VS2012. Please see:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsunittest/thread/bbfd8e8c-7ecb-4fe9-8d8c-a0c5106919e7

This was a very useful feature that allowed isolated parts of the code to be profiled.

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Get rid of the unit testing VSMDI file (test list)

The VSMDI file is quite a pain - it's does not sync correctly with the actual tests and when using in TFS it tesnds to create multiple files.
    I don't understand why other unit testing frameworks manage to work properly without saving the test list

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow VS Unit Test Generator to add test to existing project

Prompt to add test class to existing project or create new one. Allows us to build up TestSuites with TestFixtures in it rather than having a project per class.

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Better Unit Testing with Microsoft Fakes Guidance

The new Fakes framework, introduced in Visual Studio 2012, enables developers to isolate their unit and integration tests. But getting started with Fakes can be daunting. However, using Fakes effectively, and writing good unit tests, can be hard. Additionally, Fakes can be extended and augmented, letting you create entire emulation libraries for hard to test systems like SharePoint. But this is also very challenging to do properly. Guidance is needed here, and I think this would be a great place for the Rangers to provide their expertise.

Captured by an ALM Ranger on behalf of Peter Provost

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Give us a timeline for when Team Foundation Service pricing will be released!

Team Foundation Service is awesome! My org would love to have their code hosted, built, tested, and deployed in the cloud. However, It would be nice to know the pricing of this system, or at least, when such a pricing would be finalized/released so we can plan accordingly.

We have many immediate needs that can be addressed by the Team Foundation Service, but need to know if such an amazing service is even within our budget!!

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Improve Test Explorer

Test Explorer needs some serious love:
    * Need to see when a unit test is running
    * If any test within a group fails, then an icon on the group should show this, or perhaps even auto-open any groups with failed tests

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Make Live Unit Testing available for .NET Core projects

With the launch of the Live Unit Testing feature in VS2017 I was surprised to find that it does not work in .NET Core projects. That's kind of weird.

Make Live Unit Testing work on .NET Core asap :)

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Organize unit tests by test class name

When viewing tests in the UNIT TEST EXPLORER I want to be able to organize them by their class name so that I can run only a logical set of tests and see their results together.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Support the ability to run load tests without a webtest

It would be useful to be able to use the loadtest functionality (counter monitoring mainly) with tests other than web tests. I currently have cheated around this by running a web test that just goes to a dummy service every 5 minutes and run my real test at the same time, but it is very much a kluge. Given that all the monitoring functionality already exists, it seems a waste to restrict it to web tests alone.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow Running Tests to be stopped

When running Unit Tests in Test Explorer, it would be good to be able to stop the test run. This is especially true when I have a group of Coded UI Tests in my test list and they are all failing for the same reason. I want to stop the tests, fix the issue and then run the tests again.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. PLEASE ADD CREATE UNIT TESTS BACK TO CONTEXT MENU!!! DUH!!

THis should be a no brainer, and the lack of the existance is either lazyness on the part of the Microsoft VS team, or else they are intentionaly wanting people to stay with VS2010.. The productivity drop because of this is rediculous...

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. provide the function to copy test script steps using MTM?

When I am writing up test scripts in MTM using the browser, there are occasions where the first few steps between test scripts are identical. Therefore, I want an easy way to copy steps from one test script to the other, or be able to RHC on a test case to copy it, and then paste, to create a new instance. To my knowledge, there is no way to do this. I know you can create shared steps, but this seems to be the long way round to an easy solution

Cheers

Andy

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base