Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add a work item type for Test Coverage Reviews that works similar to code reviews.

Test coverage reviews are important and useful. Some teams use a standard task to track comments and handle updates. If QA had a task that worked like a code review where a review request could be sent to a person/comments added/and returned acted upon, etc. The activity would be more efficient and the data more usable.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Run unit tests for non-WCF web services with multiple start up projects

Visual Studio will start a WCF web service automatically when running a unit test against it. However, it will not start any other implementation of a web service when running unit tests.

Visual Studio should let the user select both unit tests projects and web application projects under multiple startup projects. Then when the user presses F5, Visual Studio should first launch the web application project(s) and then run the unit tests.

Similarly, if one or more unit tests is ran via Test Explorer, Visual Studio should first launch all web application projects in the startup projects if they are…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Save and close open UIMap and open another UIMap when user chooses to do so instead of displaying error and asking user to close open UIMap

When a UIMap is open and the user chooses to open another UIMap, he is faced with an error asking for the open UIMap to be closed. Presumably, this is to prevent loss of unsaved work if the tool were to automatically close it. However, I don't think users would mind auto-save and auto-close of the open UIMap and auto-open of the new UIMap. Having to dismiss the error and close the open UIMap and open the new UIMap is too tedious and shocking from a usability perspective.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. RUN BY on Plan > Results > Test Result Details

On MTM, we need reports to see who executed the test case (ex.How many test cases a Tester executed) and the only report I can get now is how many test cases a tester added to MTM.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Inbuilt console for scripting code against current projects / libraries.

It'd be awesome if we were able to rapidly prototype / test class libraries / methods without debugging or creating test projects / unit tests. I.e. create a new interactive command window similar to the Python interactive window but for .NET code which can then be used to rapidly test methods and routines in the current solution.

It should then be able to export the script code to be included as a new unit test under a specific location in the current solution.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. It would be great for Coded UI Test to support testing efforts for SSRS reports.

MS should add support to testing SSRS reports with Coded UI. Companies use these report feature extensively and when changes are made to DB's some great efforts is needed to be made to validate all reports are still functional. Coded UI would work great for this you just need to add the support for Reports in Coded UI testing. Currently you cannot test reports with Coded UI as Coded UI will not recognize most of the reporting controls.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Please bring back the visual indicators for the Test Suite within the tree view of the Test Plan in Microsoft Test Manager.

Prior to Visual Studio Update 3 there were visual indicators next to the Test Suite in the tree view of the Test Plan in Microsoft Test Manager. After the update the visual indicators no longer exist. Please bring the indicators back.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add CodedUI as a feature in Visual Studio Professional.

It just seems that since a large portion of developers have the Professional version of Visual Studio, CodedUI would be optimal for that version. One shouldn't have to pay the price difference in Professional versus Enterprise for that one much needed feature.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Missing special templates 'ToString()' in file CppUnitTestAssert.h

For almost all integer types exists special template functions.

when using tpye INT64 or long long or INT_PTR in Assert::AreEqual()
    I get a compile error saying:

c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio 12.0\vc\unittest\include\cppunittestassert.h(66): error C2338: Test writer must define specialization of ToString<const Q& q> for your class class std::basic_string<wchar_t,struct std::char_traits<wchar_t>,class std::allocator<wchar_t> > __cdecl Microsoft::VisualStudio::CppUnitTestFramework::ToString<__int64>(const __int64 &).

Could you add a specialization for long long?
    You got one for UINT64:
    template<> inline std::wstring ToString<unsigned long long> (const unsigned long long& t) \{ RETURN_WIDE_STRING(t); }

Hence I would guess the one for long logn was simply forgotten and would be easy to add: …

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Remove the need to click run all to discover UWP tests

This should be done automatically after builds complete, but from a UX perspective seeing a message telling you 'run all' is the only way to discover your tests is also not very good.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Assert.AreEqual <double, double, int>

As a developer I want to test for equality of doubles, using a relative precision indicator (as opposed to an absolute delta).

Assert(double, double, int)

E.g.
    Assert.AreEqual(1.0, 1.000000001, 8) // will not fail
    Assert.AreEqual(100000.0, 100000.0001, 8) // will not fail

In both cases the first 8 significant digits are the same.

Another method signature that go with this is of course:
    Assert(double, double, int, string, params object[])

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 你们visual studio 2017版本有没有显示中文名称的函数,就好比如输入 <Window.Resources><SolidColorBrush x:</Window.Resources>中x:时会弹出FieldModifier这个英文单词,你们微软能否设置为鼠标放在Fi

你们visual studio 2017版本有没有显示中文名称的函数,就好比如输入 <Window.Resources><SolidColorBrush x:</Window.Resources>中x:时会弹出FieldModifier这个英文单词,你们微软能否设置为鼠标放在FieldModifier会显示中文?假如不能设置能否将来可以改进?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Organize mocha tests in test explorer based on the mocha file organization

Mocha has a hierarchical test structure with describes and its. We should mimic the files structure in the test explorer.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Running tests in parallel, execute as soon as an assembly has been compiled

We have many test assemblies in our application. When I click on "Run all" the solution builds. However, it seems to me that only when it's finished compiling the whole solution does it start to run any tests.

My thought is that as soon as one Test project has been compiled (and you've selected to run tests in parallel) then why not begin executing the tests in that assembly.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Retain Generate Code For CodedUI Test Tool

Recorded tests are very sustainable when recorded in very short reusable methods.

Recording was never a 'getting started experience.'

Test recording has been around since the 1970's as an efficiency.

Painfully hand-creating tests where you have to map hierarchies of webpages and do intricate object recognition with complex searches writing many lines of code is a tedious and lengthy task that is even less sustainable than recording.

Sure I can write 2,000 lines of code (not an exaggeration) to test one web product, but I'd rather TEST.

Most test teams are 1-3 people at most. If we spend all day…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Make web performance popup JavaScript dialogs open correctly during web test recording

During web performance or coded UI test recording. All web popup dialogs open in full window and cannot be closed. example window.open("");
    This stops all recording going forward. This needs to be addressed because many web applications use popup search dialogs.

I'd also say that if you are going to compete with load runner and other testing applications. You should fully support most basic web functionality. I work for a very large company and we need to switch from load runner to another application. I would be able to suggest VS load testing on Azure... If i could progress past…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. If Live Unit Testing showing branches of block covered or not means that could be helpful. Currently it just shows line coverage.

If Live Unit Testing showing branches of block covered or not means that could be helpful. Currently it just shows line coverage. Not branch coverage. due to that we are again forced to use other testing explorer to show branch coverage

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. When you save and close non completed test run, the status is failed (even if no failed test steps). Can we rather set to "In Progress" ?

When you save and close non completed test run, the status is failed (even if no failed test steps). Can we rather set it to "In Progress" ?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Enable IntelliTest to generate test code in XUnit with Visual Studio 2017

None of the market place extension work with VS 2017 for intelli test creation

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. mstest output format suggestions

Hi
    The default mstest output is :
    Results Top Level Tests
    ------- ---------------
    Passed Citect.Platform.Browse.UnitTests.TreeCacheBrowseSessionTests.TreeCacheBrowseSessionTest
    [starttime] = 25/08/2015 6:57:28 AM
    [endtime] = 25/08/2015 6:57:49 AM

With the /detail:starttime /detail/endtime added. This has a couple of issues :
    1. This is UTC time which is not flagged with the "T" or the +10 for the time offset when most other timestamping is in local time
    2. I would prefer one line per result

Now I know I can make the trx file do anything, however it would be nice if the default logging was better.

Request :
    a. allow some C#…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base