Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add support to automate the bug creation for failed functional/Integrated tests in VSTS

We have used VSTS for our build automation and for running automated (functional/Integrated)tests, but creation of bug is not supported. It would be helpful in automation if you could support bug creation for coded UI and Selenium tests written in class library.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • VS2015 to automatically save Test Explorer result states

When I close Visual Studio, I want the Test Explorer to remember the current state of all tests run/not run/passed/skipped, and load them back up if I re-open Visual Studio.

I typically have 6000 tests in different outcome states. The tests can take 7 hours to run, so it's not quick to 'run all'.

At the moment, if I close visual studio, the test explorer loses all the previous results, and I can't find a way of saving the results manually.

I also when adding/removing code, I want it to add any new tests without losing the test results, and…

30 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Develop a test completion report

Even we are working with Scrum and use a DoD that includes testing activities, we need a test completion report, to check how the testing is going during the current sprint.

We need a number of indicators:
        1- Number of user stories vs. Number of documented test cases.
        2- Number of planned test cases vs. Number of executed test cases (with a second level indicating passed vs. failed tests).
        3- Number of defects found (classified by severity).
        4- Defects distribution (by areas).

Some of these indicators can be developed with custom queries and can be published as a widget in…

30 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Test Explorer Font should be Fixed Width

Change the Test Output Standard Output to a fixed width font

For data-oriented output (like strings), alignment is critical

29 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            3 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Add test outcome to Queries

Outcome can't be queried on nor can it be output as a column in the results. With Team Services only having lightweight charts, I need the outcome to manually build reports in Excel.

29 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              2 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Turn the Visual Studio Performance Testing Quick Reference Guide into a Wiki site

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
              https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351325/turn-the-visual-studio-performance-testing-quick-r.html
              The Rangers, MCS and P&P have this beautiful >static< guidance for best practices on various topics. My proposal is to take one of these sources of content and turn it a Wiki that will hopefully stay fresh through community interaction. As i have a had a couple of people ask about this document, written in 2010, http://vsptqrg.codeplex.com/
              Visual Studio Performance Testing Quick Reference Guide (Version 3.6) i start there...

27 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Remove Visual Studio Dependencies from MSTest

Migrated from ASP.NET User Voice (http://aspnet.uservoice.com/forums/41199-general-asp-net/suggestions/488734-remove-visual-studio-dependencies-from-mstest):

I can't stand the idea of having to install Visual Studio on a build server. MSTest should be standalone like NUnit (or any other test frameworks).

27 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • In Test Explorer, change the icon color of the currently running test.

In Test Explorer, when a test is running, it displays a green play button. When it passes, it displays a green checkmark. Oftentimes when glancing at the tests it is hard to distinguish between the two. The running play icon should be changed to a different color (anything but green or red) so it stands out as the currently running test.

27 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Support running Coded UI Test on Microsoft Edge

We have to do ui test on any kind of browsers. And, we have many "Coded UI Test" code running on IE, Chrome and FireFox using "Selenium components for Coded UI Cross Browser Testing". So, please add the support for running "Coded UI Test" on Microsoft Edge.

26 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Be able to select Build in use for manual test using Web Access?

As a manual Tester without Visual Studio installed, I would like to be able to select Build in use for my test when I use Web Access

It is only possible using Microsoft Test Manager. But many tester performing manual test use Web Access and do not have MTM installed.

26 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        3 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Eliminate non-exceptional exceptions when debugging unit tests

Unit tests take a long time to start when debugging. Additionally, if Just My Code is turned off and all exceptions are set to Break on Throw, the debugger stops at several exceptions unrelated to the code being tested.

Eliminating exceptions that are thrown and caught in the course of normal, non-failing unit testing would help on both the speed and anti-noise fronts (throwing and catching exceptions is very expensive computationally and even worse if it distracts a developer). Since turning off Just My Code and breaking on all exceptions is often helpful to getting to the root of bugs…

25 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Have an automated way (command line) to run a load test and still see the results

I know we can run a load test using mstest in an automated manner (using a script or command line). However the big problem with running a test using mstest is that the test is totally hidden, you can't view the run in Visual Studio if you want to while the test is running.
                          Hence is there an easy way to run a loadtest using Visual Studio Ultimate in an automated manner (using auto hotkey / command line arguments). I can figure it out but wondering if someone has ventured here before?

As per discussion at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/ce532249-eda7-41e1-a0c9-1c2288dc1a53/is-there-an-automated-way-to-launch-a-loadtest-in-visual-studio-ultimate-using-a-scriptcommand-line?forum=vstest#ce532249-eda7-41e1-a0c9-1c2288dc1a53

25 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Save the selected .runsettings/.testsettings file so I don't have to reselect when restarting VS.

It is a waste of time having to reselect the .testsettings file each time I restart Visual Studio. This should be persisted with the .suo file or location saved with the solution.

25 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Move/Copy test plan/test suite with Test Result (Outcome) and Bugs

My team need to move our test plan to new TFS link (location) that is the same server, such as <tfslink>/home to <tfslink>/home/project1. We also want to merge some test suites together because our small projects are merged into a big one. Unfortunately, we cannot copy/move test results...

24 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Visual Studio Test Explorer needs more features

Test Explorer needs
                                1) A History of tests run locally from Visual Studio. Like VSTS has a history of Tests run from Releases.
                                2) A way to associate a Test with a Story/Bug in VSTS. A common thing we have going on is a test will fail and then a Bug will be raised but there is no connection being made between the failing Test and the Bug in VSTS.
                                3) The Test Output screen only allows you to Copy and Paste the entire contents of the Test Output. Usually all I need to do is copy a few words…

22 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Include a feature to export the Summary Page of a load test to PDF or DOCX

At the end of the load test Visual Studio displays a summary with charts and test run information. It would be nice to be able to export this information to either PDF or DOCX to share with others who do not have Visual Studio. Currently the only way is to export the trx which only allows viewers with VS to be able to see the test summary.

22 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • [TFS] Enable Test Iteration within another Iteration

While executing test cases, users often need to check multiple cases within one iteration. Example of Test Case:

- Select an Option [choices: Option1, Option2, Option3]
                                    - Option1 is selected
                                    - Select sub-option based on the selection of Option1 [choices: Option1.1, Option1.2, Option1.3]

With the current behavior, tester would need to cover every combination of parameters [Option - Sub-Option] at one level and would need to execute all the steps from the beginning.

By implementing sub-iterations for the cases like this one, it would be much easier for managing iterations and would save much time for execution.

22 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Add the ability to directly reference shared step when adding/editing Test Case from Grid view

When user is creating / updating Test Cases in a Grid view, there's no possibility to insert existing Shared Step as one of the steps in the Test Case.

User can perform this action only when opening Test Case Work Item in a modal window.

22 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Add Live Unit Testing Support to C++

Add Live Unit Testing Support to C++ test projects.

21 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Provide a way to export & import of test plan/test results to Excel from TFS/ MTM

Dear Team,

We have been requesting Microsoft to implement a mechanism to export & import test plan into Excel sheet from TFS/ MTM.

It is year 2018, still we don't have any kind of improvement in test Explorer from VS to VS 2017.

Thanks
                                          Santosh

21 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base