Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Generate NuGet Package on Build with incremental Version Numbers

See image attached.

Simply Allow a Wildcard ("*") character and generate a new NuGet Package on every build with the updated version number.

For Bonus points, set a new NuGet Package (with an updated version number) to be generated on Publish instead of build.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  NuGet Package Manager  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Show Owner of Nuget Package in Visual Studio Packet Manager

On Nuget.org website, both author and owner are display on the site. But on NuGet Package Manager in Visual Studio, it only shows author.

If that owner has a malicious intent (or his nuget account is hacked) he could upload a binary with an exploit that would then be downloaded and executed on numerous development machines and maybe even end user systems (if a setup is built from the package)

So question: Is there any way to make Visual Studio display the owner of a package so we can know whether the package comes from a trustworthy source?

Detailed explanation…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  NuGet Package Manager  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Sort dependencies in NuGet Package Manager details page

The attached image shows a very simple example of the problem, but with more and more dependencies in that list it would be much easier to compare those package lists if they were all sorted in the same way (instead of being random as it seems to be the case at the moment).

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Oneget/Nuget for c++ projects

Allow creation of nuget packages from C++ projects. We currently use CoApp powers **** tools but it seems unsupported. It is odd to have the next version of the Windows server use oneget and consume nuget packages but no support from within VS.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. make NuGet not suck

NuGet package manager, as it name suggests, is supposed to manage packages. You should make it do that. That would be grrrrrreat.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Make Package Manager Console load quicker

Opening the Package Manager Console window as the PowerShell is being initialized is painfully slow. Worst part is that the keystrokes that are sent before the initialization is done are lost.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. show allowedversion of package.config in the nuget ui

Please show the allowedVersion (frompackage.config) constraint in the grid of the installed versions.
    And maybe use this information to restrict the attempt to update to a not allowed version.

||Project|Version|Constraint|

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add link to package page in the NuGet Package Manager

As far as I can tell there's no link back to the package's page on nuget.org (or MyGet etc.). There's a link to report abuse and to the project's page, but none to the package's page.

There's plenty of times where I'd like to pull up the webpage to check something but there's no easy way to do that. The closest way to do this from inside Visual Studio is to click on the report abuse link, then remove the /reportabuse portion of the url in the browser.

Reasons for wanting this link:
    - See other packages from this author …

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. "Whats new" in Nuget explorer

I like to have some kind of short Changelog in Nuget like in the common Appstores, where the publisher write just a few sentences what have changed or where they have their changelog if they dont want to duplicate it.
    Everything is better then nothing even if it tell som generic lines like "Performence improvement" or "Security fix". But i hope that if this feature came some package owner will tell they "customer" of compatibilty breaker or the cool new feature everybody is waiting for.

Random example i had where can't find fast enough what have changed until i don't…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Provide option to update cached Nuget packages on project creation or Nuget update

A problem with creating web projects is that you have to update Nuget immediately upon creating a new project because jQuery, Bootstrap, et al. are out of date. It would be most efficient to provide users with a checkbox that states "Update local Nuget cache" or something to that effect, so that the user doesn't have to do so.

Ideally, this option would be provided in the "add project" interface as well as the Nuget package manager.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Please fix your package management system

I feel toward NuGet like I once did toward IE6. It is consistently the biggest fly in the ointment of my web development life. This is visual studio 2017, and yet I can predictably count on package restoration to fail in just about every use case scenario I run into. Hours of incredibly frustrating troubleshooting will follow, which ultimately defeats the purpose of package management.

This needs to improve. I should be able to open one of your templates and just have it work, rather than spend hours troubleshooting NuGet.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add a feature to quickly select a list of packages for the project from packages that already installed in other projects under solution

I have a solution with lots of projects. I have just created a new project and I want to add to it several NuGet packages that already exist in the solution, to make it "just like that other project". Is there a feature in Visual Studio or plugin that would allow to do it quickly? Not the “Manage NuGet Packages for Solution…”
    For detail information, please have a look at this: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/61e00791-8935-4bb3-87d0-befff00ff2e3/projectcentered-nuget-package-manager?forum=visualstudiogeneral

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Nuget packages updates are not shown in the notifications pane

I have to open the nuget package manager for each project to check if there's any update, I'm not notified like for other extensions.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow cancellation during nuget package install

In VS, when you open the package manager window, and click on the "Install" button in order to install a nuget package to project, you then have to wait (can be quite a long time) for nuget to do its analysis, and eventually it displays a confirmation window. During this period of time (i.e after clicking the install button, and before the confirmation window), it would be good to be able to "cancel" out of the operation. Basically if you realise you have clicked on the wrong install button, having to wait a couple of minutes (large solution) for this…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. make packages.config a part of the csproj file (i.e. NuGet refs first class concept in MSBuild).

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351104/make-packagesconfig-a-part-of-the-csproj-file-ie-n.html
    now that it has been announced that project.json is going away and work is being done to improve csproj, i'd like to throw out the idea of making NuGet references a first class citizen in MSBuild and getting rid of packages.config.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Stop using Nuget. It's horribly buggy and makes our lives ****.

Move away from Nuget. It's horribly buggy and makes our lives ****.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. change the nuget reference paths in csproj to start at the solution directory

NuGet downloads the packages at the solution directory level, which when adding a NuGet package the path in the csproj file always starts with '..\packages\' which is ok for the current project/solution structure.

However I build projects from multiple solution files depending on what I am building, this means that the paths are no longer correct and the packages are not found.

My solution to this it so modify the csproj file and replace the '..\packages' with '$(SolutionDir)\packages' which works no matter which solution you build with.

I think that Visual Studio should do this automatically

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  NuGet Package Manager  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Reinstall NuGet packages if no .vs directory present

This request regards the default behavior for opening a Visual Studio
    solution for the first time.

I've noticed that when opening a Visual Studio solution for the first
    time, i.e. after cloning a git repository, if there is no .vs directory
    present, the IDE will automatically create that settings repo. That is a
    good thing and implies that the IDE has identified that the solution is
    not currently in a ready state, i.e. being opened for the first time.

If it is true that the IDE is able to determine that the solution is
    not currently in a ready state,…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Resolved NuGet packages - show actual source feed

I would like to know which feed the exact package is taken from. For example, it can be stored in a metadata file in the package folder.

I need it to be able to reuse the package in other projects or to resolve security issues accessing the feed.

For example, if I have a project and I started getting error restoring a package, I need the feed url that was used to get this package, to contact the package owners and to troubleshoot the issue with them.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base