Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add option to disable NuGet Cache

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351752/add-option-to-disable-nuget-cache.html
    Once you have a lot of packages (we have over 200!) The NuGet cache becomes a complete pain. It continually locks files requireing VS restarts, it gets out of date with dependencies causing package restore to fail. These things waste hours of time... Can we have the option to just update projects directly from the package sources rather than using the VS cache?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  NuGet Package Manager  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow NuGet to download large packages on slow networks

Not everyone is born equal and some of us have slow connection speed (well here my 14 mbps is considered fast btw).
    Please change the nuget GET timeout accordingly to the size of the file.
    Don't shut connection during download because if didn't return in 100 seconds.
    Please inform user that a large download is in progress and give an estimate of the download time and size, and the ability to stop the process.

For instance with a >100mb package this is the feedback on the PM console.

Failed to download package 'Microsoft.Xbox.Live.SDK.WinRT.UWP.Native.Release.2018.4.20180411.2' from 'https://www.nuget.org/api/v2/package/Microsoft.Xbox.Live.SDK.WinRT.UWP.Native.Release/2018.4.20180411.2'.
    The HTTP request…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  NuGet Package Manager  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Sort list of installed NuGet packages alphabetically

In the new version (3.3.0.167) of NuGet Package Manager, the list of installed packages is not sorted (see the attached image). Sort the list of installed packages alphabetically (as it was in the previous version of Nuget PAckage Manager) or provide an option to sort the list.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 汉语和英语翻译的插件

External translation software on the Visual Studio support is not good, not the translation is not translated error, view the code when many variables do not understand meaning. Visual studio which can translate English

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. If searching NuGet installs returns no results, suggest the browse tab to get the NuGet

The NuGet PM defaults to Installed NuGets and I frequently forget that. So, when I search for a NuGet to download and get no results, it can get confusing. Suggesting to search in the browse tab would make this less confusing.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Rearrange Options in Package manager

The "Options" section in the "Solution Package Manager" has a confusing position. It's placed between the "project version overview" and the "package info". Both are related to the selected package, the "Options" however are not, those are global settings.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. nuget output window

When installing any nugget package the output window opens but fails to hide when the user hasn't got this pinned, this impacts the developer we keep having to close the window! the window should only be shown if the install fails or the windows is pinned

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. .netstandard/core version nuget filter

I want to have ability to filter nuget packages by .netstandard and .net core version.

For example if I want to stick with .net core 1.1 I want to have ability to see packages only for that version and .netstandard 2.0/.netcore 2.0 should not be offered.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Updating nuget packages take literally hours to update in the last release of visual studio 2017

Recently Visual Studio 2017 is taking literally hours to update nuget packages. Also the compilation of the projects never ends. Since the "lightweight" solution loading was introduced visual studio is much slower than before. It's sadly getting unusable.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Support AND operator in NuGet search

Steps
    - Right click on the solution node in VS2015
    - Click Manage NuGet Packages for Solution
    - search for "moq AND mvc" (without quotes)

Actual result
    - only packages matching moq & mvc are returned

Expected result
    - packages matching moq OR mvc are returned

Rationale: improve usability of the growing set of NuGet packages

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  NuGet Package Manager  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Project Filter when managing nuget packages at solution level

When managing nuget references at solution level, if you have loads of projects in the solution it might be hard to find the project you want. Therefore a simple project filter would help

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Batch Source Control Additions with NuGet Packages

When a large NuGet package is added to a solution bound by source control (such as Telerik's MVC controls), NuGet can take forever to run because it downloads a file, adds it to source control, downloads the next file, adds it to source control and so on. Instead of doing this, it should download everything and then add them on a background thread so we don't have to wait for this process to complete.

I've been waiting for the better part of 45 minutes because my VS TFS instance was throttled because of all the individual add requests and I…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Suggest Nugget on using

Suggest Nugget Packages while writting a using line.

Like when i write "Mapper.Map<x,y>()" VS suggest the package AutoMapper.

I want a suggestion when i write "using AutoMapper;"

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Making notes for nuget packages in Package Manager Dialog

IT would be great to make notes for installed packages. Especially in Xamarin you sometimes need to use different versions of a package for different platforms.
    Or you don't want to update to the latest verison because it would break functionality.
    Making notes about this displayed inside manager would help other people to understand why some version-decissions where made!

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. allow to select copy local: false option at nuget package manager

Allow to select "copy local: false" option at nuget package manager.
    Consider the following scenario: There is a bin sub-folder, call it: Repository where assemblies will be deployed during build (to be loaded as MEF add-ins in runtime). Then, it is needed to manually choose "copy local: false" for every Nuget assembly reference on every Project compiling to the Repository in order to avoid that the Nuget assembly is copied to that directory. When having > 50 projects this is painful.

Thanks

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Show if the required dependencies of a package are met or not

When looking at a package to add to your project it'd be nice if the dependencies list could be made to show if any of the required dependencies are met or not. You get prompted about this when you install the package, but it'd be nice to see prior to that.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Alphabetically sort the "Default Project" list in Package Manager Console

I have > 100 projects in the solution and it would be good to be able to view the drop-down list of projects in the Package Manager Console alphabetically.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Economical Shifting with Packers and Movers in Gurgaon

<a href="http://www.gurgaonlocal.in/packers-and-movers-sohna.html">Packers and movers sohna</a>
    <a href="http://www.gurgaonlocal.in/packers-and-movers-palam-vihar.html">Packers and movers palam vihar gurgaon</a>
    <a href="http://www.gurgaonlocal.in/packers-and-movers-palam-vihar.html">Packers and movers palam vihar</a>
    <a href="http://www.gurgaonlocal.in/packers-and-movers-sohna.html">Packers and movers sohna gurgaon</a>

Home is just a place that consists of bricks but house is manufactured out of love. Along side love there are so a great many other things that are required to produce house an ideal place for living and those crucial things of your home are referred to as home goods. All the necessities of residing which can be expected to create life comfortable are possessed with a…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 'Migrate packages.config to PackageReference' tool should support project.json

I've just started testing your new tool for migrating packages.config to PackageReference in 15.7 Preview 3 and it's working nicely (thanks for it!), having found so far only a minor glitch in the dialog's title showing a '{0}' text.

But I think it should also support project.json based projects: I've used this feature in many C# projects because it was simpler than using packages.config, despite knowing it was deprecated by PackageReference.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base