Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. DNX Package Viewer Search

With so many packages and dependencies pulled into a DNX we need a way to search the package dependencies for specific packages, so we can see what references a particular package or whether it's even referenced at all. Along the same lines we also need a view that shows all packages in use as a single level, non-tree list.

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  NuGet Package Manager  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the NuGet team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Karan Nandwani
    Program Manager, NuGet Team

2. add "Favorite Packages" tab to nuget package manager

Please add "Favorite Packages" tab to nuget package manager.
    It is still better if it can synchronize on-line by relating with user profiles (for example, nuget.org, Microsoft account, etc.).

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.
    - The Visual Studio Team

3. add target directory to Bower dependencies

Bower (and NuGet) always install JavaScript packages all to the same root /scrips/ and /css/ folders. This is not safe when installing a number of different JavaScript packages as file names of different packages may collide.

Moreover, it's hard to find files in a wealth of different JavaScript files.

So I suggest to be able to provide a "webroot" relative destination directory to each of the dependencies to be installed, e.g.:

"dependencies":
    {
    "bootstrap": { version: "~3.0.0", targetRoot: "bootstrap"},
    "jquery": { version: "~1.10.2", targetRoot: "jQuery"},
    "jquery-validation": { version: "~1.11.1", targetRoot: "jQuery"},
    "jquery-validation-unobtrusive": { version: "~3.2.2", targetRoot: "jQuery"},
    "requirejs": { version:…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  NuGet Package Manager  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the NuGet team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Karan Nandwani

4. Allow local NuGet package sources to be secured using Azure Active Directory

A local/private Nuget Package server can be hosted on Azure as a web app. However, I think .... if the web app is (public &) secured with Azure Active Directory, the developer is no longer able to connect to the packages from Visual Studio 2015.

Please could you allow Visual Studio to connect to NuGet packages protected by Azure Active Directory authentication.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  NuGet Package Manager  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Karan Nandwani

5. CLI command to fetch detail for one package from Nuget

Like this case here:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/4d2c1bab-7b6c-488b-ae51-5a14da0eb842/cli-command-to-fetch-detail-for-one-package-from-nuget?forum=visualstudiogeneral

If we use the command line to list packages, it would share us so many packages and spend long time, whether it can add other command line to list just one package detail information?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Karan Nandwani

6. Update .nuspec dependencies to reflect changes to consumed NuGet packages.

If a project both consumes and produces NuGet packages, the project's .nuspec file dependency elements should track version updates to the consumed NuGet packages. At present time, the process for managing dependencies involes a lot of manual work and invites unecessary risk.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Karan Nandwani

7. Ability to NuGet a package with source code

Add the ability to download source code with NuGet packages.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. To restore the nuGet package manager to how it was in VS 2013

Hi!

VS2013 community edition had an "update all" button that was soooo useful. That is not there anymore. What a shame! Please bring it back!

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Karan Nandwani

9. Implement Tag Filtering for Nuget

Now that NuGet Tags have the Native tag for C\C++ i think that the Package List should be able to filter this (and other) tags

If not automatically based on the project (i.e, if i did a C# project, Hide Native Packages and if i did unmanaged C\C++ then only show Native) -Then give the user the ability to toggle the native tag

or better yet just have a filter by tags function to better use the tags system

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Karan Nandwani

10. It would be very nice and practical to right-click on the namespace in Visual Studio and have Nuget go out and retrieve the needed packages.

It would be very nice and practical to right-click on the namespace in Visual Studio and have Nuget go out and retrieve the needed packages for the reference.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Karan Nandwani

11. NuGet Provider on add usings shotcurt (Ctrl + .)

NuGet Provider on add usings shotcurt (Ctrl + .)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.
    - The Visual Studio Team

12. Browse nuget package content before installing it

In Manage NuGet Packages dialog, I would like to easily browse contents of the package before installing it, just like in NuGet Package Explorer.

Browsing the package contents in NuGet Gallery in browser would be awesome as well.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Karan Nandwani

13. Click once nuget pacgkages publishing

Make possible to publish library as nuget package by click once.

I think more people will use click once than.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Karan Nandwani

14. Add the ability to multi-select one or more NuGet packages to update

Add a checkbox to the NuGet package list and a "Updated Selected" button. Currently, the only options are Update All or you have to update each package individually which can be cumbersome if there are numerous packages.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Installed Nuget Packages in alphabetical order

Idk seems like it should be a default...

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Karan Nandwani

16. Include nuget package name in which a namespace/ class is available in the msdn documentation

Environmnet: ASP.NET 5.0 and Visual Studio 2015:

Problem: This is the only way to find to add project.json dependencies: http://www.nuget.org/packages?q=System.Math

Include nuget package name in which a namespace/ class is available in the msdn documentation for each namespace

Much better, add intellisense to lookup for missing packages to query nuget (performance can be improved by adding a local nuget metadata cache to the machine)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Karan Nandwani

17. Select multiple nuget to be updated at a time rather than waiting for for the update page to refresh

Select multiple nuget packages to be updated with a click rather than waiting for for the update page to refresh. More control than update all

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Karan Nandwani

18. Move yellow nuget "download missing packages" in vs2015

When using the new nuget package manager in vs2015, the download missing packages is displayed in a yellow topbar, that make the window resize. Move it into the output window, to keep all nuget feedback listed there.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Karan Nandwani

19. Continue updating rest of list if NuGet package manager fails download

When NuGet Package Manager fails to download a package to update it should flag it for review later and continue updating the rest of the li

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Karan Nandwani

20. Provide a refresh button for NuGet Package Manager

When working with a local NuGet Server using the Visual Studio NuGet Package manager window, there is no option to "refresh" the list of packages as is common with nearly every tool available from Microsoft!

This is a big miss on Microsoft's part because the only way to "refresh" the NuGet package list right now is to completely close the NuGet Package Manager window and re-open it!

Therefore, a Refresh button on the NuGet Package Manager window is sorely needed.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Karan Nandwani

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base