Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Publish internally known (non-security) bugs

Currently the only way for us devs to know that the issue that has been haunting us for days is known and somehow processed, is if by accident some other non-msft developer had reported it in connect. It seems the vast majority of bugs *known to MS* do not appear there, and devs are forced to re-discover them again and again.

There doesn't seem to be even any release-notes or other list of known issues. But why not aim even higher? I'd love to see a live, public repository of known issues, updated with their triage results and expected resolution…

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      2 comments  ·  Developer Community  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. I would encourage you to check out our Report a Problem feature (on the Help menu) in Visual Studio 2017. Using Visual Studio 2017 you can report bugs and then track progress on them in the Report a Problem window or on https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/.

Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Paul Chapman
      Program Manager, Visual Studio

• Add a uservoice.com integration services

Hi,

Loving the uservoice.com service, it would be great to have a tools to get bugs and feedback in our tfs backlog after validation (and completion).
      The tfs customer feedback functionnality/app is a great idea but an app deployment is not an acceptable solution for most.

Best Regards

Kevin

9 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Developer Community  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Make it possible to follow/comment or retract problems reported through Visual Studio->Send Feedback option

If I find that I have reported a problem that might not be a problem in Visual Studio, I would like to be able to retract my problem report or add further comments as I get wiser.

5 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi All,

In Visual Studio “15” Preview 3, we released a beta version of our new feedback client that offers a simplified flow when reporting a problem. At the same time, we have an early version of a web presence where you can actually follow problems that are interesting to you or remove a problem you have submitted. Here is where you can find the website:

https://community.visualstudio.com/index.html

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!
          - The Visual Studio Team

• Continue to Improve Visual Studio Feedback (Connect Integration)

I am a big fan of the Visual Studio feedback mechanism that was introduced in VS2012 (I believe?). Primarily in that it allows a way to let you know our thoughts as developers, but DEFINITELY in that your team ACTUALLY READS OUR FEEDBACK AND GETS BACK TO US. :) :) :)

This is really great! No longer does it feel like we're coding in a void/vacuum. Thank you for taking the time to provide a bridge to your loyal users and make it possible to start the dialogue.

With that said, the reward for hard work is more hard work,…

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Change the "Report a problem" dialog.

The "Report a problem" dialog box is non resizable and is so large that I can't see the buttons at the bottom on my 15" laptop.

3 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Developer Community  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Give us lowly humans ability to edit feedback posts for at least 5 minutes.

I have a bad habit as a human being. I post first and then proof read my work. You could say I should do that first and I would agree but as humans we just don't do it. Please add ability to edit post for at least 5 minutes after posting. Or if your uncomfortable with that. Force the user to wait 5 minutes before showing it publicly. I.E., "Thank you for your feedback. Were baking your question to perfection. Your post will be visible to the world in 5 minutes. If you wish to make any modifications, do it…

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Qui Jinn,

In Visual Studio “15” Preview 3, we released a beta version of our new feedback client that offers a simplified flow when reporting a problem. At the same time, we have an early version of a web presence where you can actually see your problem when it’s submitted and edit it afterwards if you forgot to add some key information. Here is where you can find the website:

https://community.visualstudio.com/index.html

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!
                - The Visual Studio Team

• 1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Buttons pointing to reported problem in status update mails end up on developer community homepage instead

The links in the problem status update mails contain the URL to the reported problems, but when clicking them from the Windows 10 Mail app I end up at the developer community homepage instead.

This is a usability flaw because
                  - it makes it difficult to find back the reported problem
                  - it does not match the expectation of a button called 'View the new problem'.

Steps to reproduce the issue:
                  - report a VS installer problem
                  - receive status update mails from developer community.visualstudio.com
                  - open the mail in the Windows 10 Mail app
                  - click the blue button pointing to the reported…

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • "Send Feedback" -> "Report a Problem" does not remove ability to click other windows

when you try to report a problem a user may wish to copy something from another window. not allowing this seems like it might make it pretty difficult for users to report certain problems

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

This should be completed in the latest Visual Studio “15” Preview builds. Give it a try and let us know if you’re still running into the same problem. If so, please report it through our “Report a Problem” function in the IDE to better help us track your problem.

Thanks!
                      - Tim

• Notification emails have broken links

The notification emails have a "View the problem" link that goes to the home page. It should go to the problem in the email. Otherwise there is no way to get to the problem referenced in the email, and typically there is not enough information in the email to find the problem any other way.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Feedback tool "Problem manager" console to engage with VS team

When I submit a problem, I often want to go back and talk about it some more, add more information or how I resolved it.

This ultimate helps you and helps the community.

At least, I should get an ID and an email address I can use to forward further detail.

At present, the feedback tool sends "Problems" into a black hole. Usually, a VS team triage dude contacts me, that's GREAT, but often its long after the event and I've just forgotten and moved on.

Thanks. Love you.

0 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base