Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow ASP.NET MVC Razor Views to be created more easily outside of ASP.NET

While it's possible to host the Razor engine on our own, the process of doing so is still fairly involved and even if one manages to do it, you don't end up with the rich additional functionality that ASP.NET MVC provides from disk.
    It would be really nice if ASP.NET's Razor Engine implementation could be instantiated outside of the context of ASP.NET. The sticking point appears to be the getting ControllerContext created without HttpContext. Working without HttpContext would likely break a number of things, but what if there was a way to create a mock context that holds the absolutely…

76 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Web Development Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion at the ASP.NET UserVoice page (https://aspnet.uservoice.com/). Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Paul Chapman
    Program Manager, Visual Studio

2. Give us a setting that allows us to automatically update IIS paths or be prompted.

In VS 2010 a prompt would show up when switching between branches that used the same IIS path. This prompt was: "The Web project '...' is currently configured to use the URL '...'. The Web server has this URL mapped to a different folder '...'. Would you like to remap this URL to point to this Web project's folder?". VS 2012 no longer asks this. It just remaps the paths without asking. I know some will prefer 2010's way and some 2012's way, so please give us a setting that allows us to choose whether we are prompted.

76 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web Development Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Paul Chapman
    Program Manager, Visual Studio

3. "Publish Web" (Web Deploy / msdeploy.exe) should use my systems default proxy settings

I currently cannot use Web Deploy because it ignores my proxy server settings, and there seems to be no way to specify a proxy server for web deploy to use.

Web access in our company is required to use a proxy server, otherwise our firewall will block the traffic.

Alternate publish methods like FTP are also problematic to use, because our IT blocks FTP by default. I have to ask them for every single IP address that I want to access via FTP. IP adresses for azure VMs might change at any time, so this is not really an option.

59 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web Development Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

4. move the "Use the 64 bit version of IIS Express for web sites and projects" to be a project option

we have projects that require 32-bit (native x86) and other projects that requires 64-bit. please make this a per project configuration option.

58 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

5. Autocomplete Intellisense for Web.config transformation syntax

Provide autocomplete Intellisense for Web.config transformation syntax attributes such as for the xdt:Transform attribute. Currently, one has to constantly refer to the MSDN Documentation here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd465326.aspx to determine what are the valid values for xdt:Transform such as Replace, Insert, Remov, InsertAfter, InsertBefore etc. Instead, Visual Studio should provide the available valid values for all of the possible Web.config transformation attributes in a manner similar to Intellisense in ASP.Net Web Forms and other elements in Web.config.

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

6. Support the Multilingual App Toolkit to Asp.Net Web applications

The Multilingual App Toolkit is a powerful extension to Visual Studio for managing language strings with standards based xliff files in Windows 8 Apps. Web applications in ASP.Net desperately need this same toolkit. Please consider expanding Multilingual App Toolkit for other types of applications.

This request is similar to 'Support the Multilingual App Toolkit to WPF or Windows applications'

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

7. Add back "use custom server" options to web site projects

The "use custom server" options have been removed from web site project's properties window making it difficult to run and debug within local IIS and instead forcing the use of IIS Express. Please add this option back.

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Web Development Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

8. Add support (syntax highlighting, etc) for less stylesheets

Have first class support for less style sheets in the IDE.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    closed  ·  2 comments  ·  Web Development Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Enable Skip Rules in Visual Studio Publish!

Please enable skip rules in Visual Studio publishing so that we can prevent our media/log/upload/etc folders from being deleted everytime we publish. This feature currently does not work in VS (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18226048/msdeployskiprules-in-wpp-targets-not-working-with-publishprofiles)

For that matter, being able to customize publish setting via a VS publish properties window rather than an xml file would be a huge + as well.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

10. Publish changed files only like svn

When we publish a website visual studio copying all of the files. VS need publish changed or added files only. We have to choose dll + changed files only. This is also problem for ftp publish. If we try ftp publish visual studio trying to upload all files.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web Development Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

11. Coded UI feature should have away to easily check all broken links

Coded UI feature should have away to easily check all broken links

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

12. Add MVC Razor support to the Report View package

The report viewer is a webcontrol so you can't use it on MVC, you have to create a web form so you can add the report viewer. Direct support for the ReportViewer control in MVC would be nice.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

13. 13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

14. Make IIS Express always available like IIS, or at least don't kill it when stopping debugger /

One has to start the debugger to view a web page with IIS Express, which causes much of the IDE to become read-only, making it difficult to play with an app while making coding changes. When the debugger is stopped, the page can no longer be viewed in the browser. IIS does not have this issue since it is always available.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

15. worst ftp support in visual studio 12

Can you improve these thing for remote ftp file. (I thing people use them for svn but not for remote file :)

1. everytime I need to fill username password (how to remember)

2. on other IDe they not make me hang and I can still able to make change and press save again when Vs goes hang.

3. I thing visual studio first render all tree for file then open so it's take a long time to show me ftp.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Web Development Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Scaffolding non-web Projects

I think it is mandatory to make new asp.net custom scaffolding work with non-web projects like class library ... etc specially that the old T4Scaffolding and MVCScaffolding is not working with VS 2013 update 3

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio team is closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

-The Visual Studio Team

17. Add intellisence for xsd:keyref

xsd:key - xsd:keyref pair create a check that each value in the field makred as keyref is one of the values marked as key. VS is already smart enough to check that, why don't you offer the list of all possible values in intellisence?

People do ask for it (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9638789/xsd-key-keyref-intellisense-validation-support-in-visual-studio-2010/13276790)

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

18. native zen-coding support in Visual studio ?

I hope to get native zen-coding support in vs12. developer of zen-coding in vs10 have tell that they are not working on it anymore.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Verify deletion of files when publishing web project

Being a junior programmer, I do not have much experience with vs2010. I assumed publishing my first solo web project to my desktop would create a seperate folder. The 'Delete files prior to publish' option was selected from a previous project, and when I selected publish, my entire desktop was wiped clean. Folders gigabytes in size and completely unrelated to my project were deleted. Seems like a serious consequence for such an oversight. Perhaps the publishing wizard could verify file deletion, especially if it's gigabytes of data, on the desktop at that. What if I had of published it to…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

20. Allow serialization of anonymous types with JSON and XML serializers

I make extensive use of both JSON and XML serialization in web and middleware architectures. While moving objects between the browser and services in a system in a portable format is a big win, the need to provide static types for any data element that you need to work with can be cumbersome. Allowing anonymous types to be serialized and supporting the definition of anonymous types during deserialization would in my opinion be a big advance in the .Net platform.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Web Development Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base