Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Compatibility with older VS version For VB Programming

Can we have a setting to turn off [ & _ ] To [ & ] for VB Programming. Because of the compatibility with older VS version.

It is very important for Developer to choose new IDE or not.
    After Editing VB file in VS2015, the file will be found syntax error by other VS version (2012, 2010, 2008).

We are looking forward the new patch/ fix for that Compatibility issue.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. visual studio community 15 !! so much heavy in database data transfer then vb6.0 program

so much heavy in access database data transfer then vb6.0 program

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ways to Consider the Best Quality Mover at Reasonably Priced Costs

Discovering the right relocating organization (packers in addition to movers) with from very affordable premiums could be a very little tough and also challenging process. Nonetheless together with carrying out several analysis it is possible to find out the right move solutions supplier inside in very affordable as well as real prices. Here are a few points. Let’s check out all of them.

Check with your buddies, family, neighbours and also co-workers who may have before utilized the particular providers regarding specialized packers in addition to movers with. Log on and also hunt for treatment corporations presently there. Prepare yourself…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. sound

I want to build an app for phone that records sound and picture to tell the current weather using laws of physics. So far there are no source code for recording sound and analyzing sound waves tell the pitch/frequency to tell wind speed then brightness of the photos metadata to tell the albedo value to predict rain days. Can some one send me a sample source code project to edit. For this idea to come into effect should I use visual studio or enterprise version.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Give an easier way to find out what possition words are in a sentance.

Give an easier way to find out what possition words are in a sentance.
    As in we can create a program that can find words in a sentance but really simple.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Explain why there is an "Error signing in" when trying to report an error

I am trying to report an error in VB and I get an error signing in and no explanation what that error is (I am signed into VB and my m'soft account just fine.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Help an Report viewer

1.- Visual Studio aids in general should be called 'disinformation', this should be greatly improved.
    2.- Report Viewer, although it is a good tool, in the part of subreports is a disgust and as a rare thing the helps do not help you, not even an example done

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Editorconfig in VB for method parameters should be able to distinguish between byref and byval.

You cannot create a style rule that looks at how the parameter is passed in. For instance, I want to create rules that enforces either 'v' to be prefixed to parameters that are passed by value or 'r' for parameters being passed in by reference.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Gridview and Data Model Changed so much

GridView in Windows Forms, WPF or ASP.net is something I could use to load XML feed or other datasources (like sqlce, sql server) and base a significant part of an application. UWP disappeared DataTables etc, Changed Gridview, networkink and rearranged namespaces. It has also much less examples in VB.net so I'm not able to make something work as I could before! Too much errors, to many namespaces, bindings etc. Please make it simpler and clear!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. support binary literals (&B prefix) string on CType / Val

Dim hexValue = &H11 '(=17)
    Dim decValue = 11
    Dim octValue = &O11 '(=9)
    Dim binValue = &B11 '(=3)

hexValue = CInt("&H11") 'OK (=17)
    decValue = CInt("11") 'OK (=11)
    octValue = CInt("&O11") 'OK (=9)
    binValue = CInt("&B11") 'NG << InvalidCastException >>
    'binValue = Convert.ToInt32("11", 2) 'OK (=3)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Reference based coding

Visual based "kismet" or code sample "lego"connect the dots programming without code.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Why can't #region in vb.net be indented?

The #region always goes back to the first column. It looks ugly.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Code translator in VS

Like Solution Explorer provide a Code Explorer where we can transliterate other language code into VB. Most online converters become unavailable many times or does not go through corporate firewall.
    This will be a great feature.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. simple command for location

Can there be a simple command or control for location. Eg it defaults to the best combination of location devices (as determined by Windows OS) or can be defined as a property. Then other properties could be current location, speed and direction, radius of certainty.
    Then there can be also another control or command for proximity or ring fencing purpose eg "Proximity Control" which can have an event triggered if the location is near a coordinate. Parameters could be : table (like a list table) having name, x,y coordinates, proximity to trigger. So the user or developer can fill up…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Remember the people stuck using win32

Pleaseeeee with a capital P fix vs2017 so error reporting. Can not see errors in error list. This is very irritating. VS2017 has become too bloated. Please make it straight forward again. Spend to much time try to just use vs2017. I'm not interested in UWP or RT. I must remain in win32.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. If a variable i transferred to a Sub or a Function ByRef write it in Italic

I think the title is clear enough. The programmer should understand immediately when a variable is transferred ByRef

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Since updating to 15.5.1 from 15.4, project code now says strict on when strict is off, gives me warnings in the code.

Since updating to 15.5.1 from 15.4, project code now says strict on when strict is off, gives me warnings in the code.
    I have to open the solution and flip from off to on and back to off for the warning messages to go away.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add a function to 'extract' and 'apply' cosmetic properties from a control to another same control.

Situation - I am updating the UI for my application with drastic cosmetic changes. For instance, on a datagridview there are many properties for column heights, back and fore colors, fonts,word wrap, margin,padding etc.... It's an incredible pain to update 50 existing datagridviews with all of those cosmetic properties to match. If it already exists, where is it? Thanks

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Kwestia Konwersji i Zapisu Ikon w Framework

Moim zdaniem jest słaba obsługa ikon w vb.net , przydała by się funkcja do konwersji np. png czy bmp do ico wbudowana we framework, a także mogło by być lepiej obsłużony zapis ikon, w taki sposób aby można było zapisać je grupami.
    Pozdrawiam Serdecznie. Krzysztof Kozłowski.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base