Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. its soo complicated to add shortcuts we can be more efficient that, i think this is really important, if can we simplify

its soo complicated to add shortcuts we can be more efficient that, i think this is really important, if can we simplify

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix "Find All References" for VB.NET classes which implement IDisposable interface

Refer to my MSDN posting at the link at the bottom of this post:

'Find All References' returns all kinds of extra junk references when triggered on the class definition for a class that implements IDisposable.

It returns hundreds of 'MyBase.Finalize()' methods (one for every other class in the project that is also implementing IDisposable).

The moderator agrees that this is a bug that should be fixed.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/e9de2132-63f2-4704-89b3-dd016b7ec055/find-all-references-on-classes-that-implement-idisposable-in-vs-2015-vbnet-does-not-work?forum=visualstudiogeneral#33d88cb3-4bd5-4736-8814-6844a95cca8d

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. bring back- auto fix argument parentheses when calling sub or function in vb.net

Please bring back auto fix parentheses when writing sub or function with
    arguments

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Vb.Net WinForm: Possibility Duplicate a Form

Possibility of duplicating a WinForm in the same project.

Thanks

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Improve the MSChart control

The native chart control needs to be improved/updated. Default behaviors for zoom, pan, cursor, etc. although that capability does exist in the current control it should be easier to implement. Displaying data (dynamic - real time) in a graph/chart easily with good performance would be a great.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Implement a Strictly .net mode for VB.net.

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351255/implement-a-strictly-net-mode-for-vbnet.html
    implement a compiler switch that when turned on. vb.net is no longer backwards compatible with vb6.

Option DotNetOnly On

So now you'll get compiler errors if you use any on the vb6 keywords and legacy functions.
    A c# like approach to shared methods, only accessible via the class, not an instance.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Adam,

Thanks for the suggestion. Could you be more specific on what specific things you’d want disallowed and very specifically why they “don’t make the cut”. I ask because as written this suggestion could mean different things to different people; “VB6 keywords” “VB6 compatibility” isn’t very meaningful objectively. For instance AddressOf, Alias, And, As, Boolean, ByRef, Byte, ByVal, Call, Case, Date, Declare, Dim, Do, Double, Each, Else, ElseIf, End , Exit, False, For,Function, Get, GoTo, If, In, Integer, Is, Let, Lib, Like, Long, Loop, Me, Mod, New,Next, Not, Nothing, Object, On, Option, Optional, Or, Private, Property, Public, ReDim, REM, Resume, Return, Select, Set, Single, Static, Step, Stop, String, Sub, Then, To, True, While, With, and Xor all are just some of the keywords which were in VB6 – I don’t imagine you’re suggesting disallowing all of them. Also it’s not very clear how you delineate what is .…

7. add syntax " exit for i","continue for i"

I hope vb.net adds a syntax to facilitate the exit and continuation of the multilayer for loop, that is to say, for I =1 to 3 For j=1 to 3 I

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Renaming parameter updates xml comment

When you rename a parameter in a method, if there is an attached xml block, it should rename the parameter as well.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. to automatically repeat on "#end region" instruction the text associated to "#region"

To automatically repeat behind the "#end region" instruction the user comment written behind the associated "#region" instruction

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Visual Basic Read Only property should not override ForeColor when it's is already set by users

The Read Only property should not override ForeColor when it's is already customized. For example, suppose that you have already set the ForeColor of a TextBox to Red, but once you set the Read Only property to true, the color of text displayed would be grey no matter what the current setting is for ForeColor property. And you have to Change the BackColor to another no-default color to let the TextBox display the color you set in ForeColor.

This is obviously a design error. Read only may override the default settings of ForeColor or BackColor, but once we set these…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. New Word for Lazy people like me.

In Vb Code:

If TemB = Nothing = False Then
    'Do Work
    End If

will be better

If TemB = Something Then
    'Do Work
    End If

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. PostSharp SmartTag support for VB.NET

Please vote at https://postsharp.uservoice.com/forums/4949-general/suggestions/4471304-support-for-visual-basic-projects to have PostSharp provide tooling/SmartTag support for VB.NET as it does for C#.

Thanks!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. create an option to DISABLE automatic insertion of namespaces in VB.net

When importing an interface, the namespaces are automatically imported an omitted from the class and membernames.
    Would be nice if this was optional and could be turned off as it doesn't match the coding style of our code base.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I think it would be a great Idea for all VB.Net developers if you can add a setting just like in C# to remove the new line on ENTER key

I think it would be a great Idea for all VB.Net developers if you can add a setting just like in C# to remove the new line on ENTER key press for the Intellisence

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Provide a compiler warning message for Subs/Functions that are unused

Currently, VB provides a warning message for variables that aren't used. Please extend this for unused subs and functions. Really useful for clearing out old crud from a project.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Android en VB.NET

I see the new Visual Studio 2015 will bring support for Android. Ideally, not only it used in C #, which also can be used VB.NET for Android

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. UI Updated Event for ProgressBar

Request: I would like to see an event for the ProgressBar class that would be raised when the UI is finished updating the new value.

Description: Currently what happens in Windows Vista and newer is when the Value is changed a slow increment on the user interface side occurs to show a gradual increase or decrease to the new value but there is no event to indicate when the UI is finished updating.

Situation: There are instances where other control's values are dependent upon the new value of the ProgressBar. While programmatically it preforms correctly in that the other controls…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Do not refresh designer window all the time

Every time when I switch between code and designer window, the designer window refreshes/reloads itself
    It is very annoying and takes a time
    Why it does that
    The designer window has no changes and is already loaded/visible
    Let just easily switch between code an designer. In VB 6 it was never a problem

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add watermark on the properties of the textbox

Kindly add watermark properties on the textbox control.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. DoubleQuote Property

In Visual Basic .NET if you want to have a double quotation mark, " or Unicode characters U+201E (8222) and U+201C (8220), then the current solution is to use multiple double quotes within the String literal.

The issue with this solution is that the readability of the String decreases. In C# the alternative is to escape the string the with @ sign prior to the literal.

The proposed alternative .NET solution is to provide 2 new properties within the Environment class named: Environment.OpenQuote and Environment.CloseQuote that map to their respective characters.

Please take a moment to review this proposed solution…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base