Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow multiple variable names with single type specifier in functin call

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351209/allow-multiple-variable-names-with-single-type-spe.html
    Current:
    Public Function DoSomething(x As Integer, y As Integer, w As Integer, h As Integer, Value As Integer, Name As String, Count As Integer) As Boolean

Propsed:
    Public Function DoSomething(x, y, w, h, Value As Integer, Name As String, Count As Integer) As Boolean

All variables x, y, w, h, Value would be of type Integer, like in Dim statement.

330 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  28 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow #region blocks to be indented much like they are in C#

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351226/allow-region-blocks-to-be-indented-much-like-they.html
    In C# you can indent a #region block so that the region flows with the layout of your code. Unless I am missing something, this is not the case in VB.

Example (C#):
    public class MyClass
    {

+[VARIABLES]

+[PROPERTIES]

+[METHODS]
    }

Example (VB):
    Public Class MyClass

+[VARIABLES]

+[PROPERTIES]

+[METHODS]

EndClass

153 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Greg,

Thanks for the great suggestion. I agree that it would be nice to see these indented properly. I honestly couldn’t tell you the reason for this design choice but it applies to all preprocessing directives. Having said that, our team owns both the VB and C# code editor experiences and as we’re rebuilding them as part of Project “Roslyn” we’re trying to be on the look out for opportunities to make the experiences more consistent where it makes sense – this looks to me like one of those cases. The “Roslyn” based editing experience is not planned to be in the next release of Visual Studio but it’s certainly not to early to look at improving this. I’ll follow up with the right folks to see if I can make this happen :)

Regards,

-Anthony D. Green, Program Manager, Visual Basic & C# Languages Team

3. the most wanted feature in basic.net now (and still) is *comments within multiline statements*

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351235/the-most-wanted-feature-in-basicnet-now-and-still.html
    I have to repeat the begging for comments within multiline statements in visual basic... yes, I know you refused to do that for me and numerous others over the last 6-7 years stating that it is "by design"... so what? our continuous and numerous complaints just show that this request has its roots, so do not make excuses of design... *change that design detail* and everything will be ok... mr. hejlsberg on /BUILD/ conference talks about 'paste as c#' and 'paste as vb.net'…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey gjuro,

We’ve considered inline/multiline comments in VB several times. In the past it’s been a very expensive thing to implement because of the way the language parser was designed and the way the IDE integrates with it. The VB and C# code bases are, for historical reasons, very different. Anyway, in Roslyn such a thing isn’t as difficult anymore but we still question the value. In fact “is it worth it” is the real obstacle at this point.

We don’t actually see much use of inline/multiline comments even in C# which makes us even more hesitant to add them to VB.

Now, what we have been able to make work in Roslyn is this:

Dim q = From x In y ’ This is a from clause
    Where x < z ’ And this is the where
    Select x ’ This select is redundant

That is, comments after implicit…

4. Implement a Strictly .net mode for VB.net.

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351255/implement-a-strictly-net-mode-for-vbnet.html
    implement a compiler switch that when turned on. vb.net is no longer backwards compatible with vb6.

Option DotNetOnly On

So now you'll get compiler errors if you use any on the vb6 keywords and legacy functions.
    A c# like approach to shared methods, only accessible via the class, not an instance.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Adam,

Thanks for the suggestion. Could you be more specific on what specific things you’d want disallowed and very specifically why they “don’t make the cut”. I ask because as written this suggestion could mean different things to different people; “VB6 keywords” “VB6 compatibility” isn’t very meaningful objectively. For instance AddressOf, Alias, And, As, Boolean, ByRef, Byte, ByVal, Call, Case, Date, Declare, Dim, Do, Double, Each, Else, ElseIf, End , Exit, False, For,Function, Get, GoTo, If, In, Integer, Is, Let, Lib, Like, Long, Loop, Me, Mod, New,Next, Not, Nothing, Object, On, Option, Optional, Or, Private, Property, Public, ReDim, REM, Resume, Return, Select, Set, Single, Static, Step, Stop, String, Sub, Then, To, True, While, With, and Xor all are just some of the keywords which were in VB6 – I don’t imagine you’re suggesting disallowing all of them. Also it’s not very clear how you delineate what is .…

Feedback and Knowledge Base