Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. F# add Unit Test support

Although FP style is Unit Test ready code there is no support in VS for Unit Test feature in F#.

217 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    closed  ·  8 comments  ·  Languages - F# Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. I would like better integration with ASP.NET and other core frameworks like WPF

There is a lot of manual labor involved trying to integrate F# with WPF, ASP.NET, etc. I think it should be promoted to a first class citizen in Visual Studio just like C#. You guys have been neglecting it for years. It's like "if you want to play around with some Math or low level Algorithms, use F#, else use C#". We take it just as serious as any other language and would like to fully enjoy its riches. Being forced to default to C# is very frustrating. All you want to do is be able to program in your…

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - F# Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

3. Add better support for debugging F# code

Todays F# debugger makes it often difficult to inspect certain symbols that are in scope from the code standpoint, but not from the debugger's.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

4. provide c#-like COM interop that doesn't need interop assemblies anymore

The f# compiler doesn't automatically generate interop assemblies for type importing (duck typing). c# and VB do this.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

5. Support IScheduler implementations for executing Async workflows

System.Threading.Tasks and Rx both support implementations of IScheduler. The ability to "parameterize concurrency" is quite powerful. The only options at the moment are selecting whether to use Async.Start on the ThreadPool or Async.StartImmediate on the current thread. Other options, such as an EventLoop or TestScheduler, are not available in F#.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

6. Have F# Interactive create a script file for you.

I often find myself diving straight into the F# interactive, to do some quick work, only to later wish I had the last couple of submissions be on a file for me to prune a bit more.

I would like for the interactive to generate a script file of all my submissions on the current session to quickly go from the interactive to code. It could add the file to the current project, or simply put the text into my clipboard to paste in later.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Languages - F# Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

7. Tools for visualizing active variables in F#

Add a way of visualizing live (objects/functions/variables) in F# interactive. Possibly as simple as a PropertyGrid that shows active variables in memory. By adding the abiity to see what is in memory while using F# it becomes a VERY powerful data exploration tool. A few minor addtions of charting and grid output and this would be one of the best Data Mining tools available.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

8. Provide Solution Explorer Support in VS11 for F#

improve the solution explorer for F# - let us expand .fs files to view types/modules and methods like you can in C# and every other "first class" language. In addition let us use the "search solution explorer" bar for F# types/symbols as well and improve the "goto xyz" support for C# -> F# and vice versa

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

9. Make F# interactive as good as IronPython interactive.

Make F# interactive as good as IronPython interactive.
    IronPython has syntax coloring, code completion in interactive console - they are very useful.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. F# Interactive resizable font size (with ctrl+mouse wheel up)

Many times I have wanted to show some F# demo/features with the interactive on a projector screen.

F# Interactive font resizable is small and can't be easily seen from a projector. Font size can't be easily increased as in code window.

I wish ctrl+mouse wheel up would work here also.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

12. Allow sending whole outer scope to F# interactive

Currently you can send the selection, or the highlighted line. Often you need to manually select the block that denotes full scope of a function you want to evaluate. Would save some time if there would be possibility to send the whole scope that the currently selected line belongs to.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

13. 7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

14. Ability to add an .fsx file with current project references

I find myself often wanting to write a script to test out some ideas, and those often come with nuget packages.

I'd like to be able to create an fsx with the current project references added (e.g. #r "c:\dev\Test\HtmlAgilityPack.dll") so I don't have to do this manually.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Languages - F# Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

15. Make it easier to read type tooltips

I often use mouse-over to understand the types of various functions, but sometimes it is incredibly difficult to read with all the parenthesis and -> symbols. I also sometimes can't figure out which of the previous parameters the "option" word applies to. If the type tooltips put each function parameter on a separate line, or each each parameter was colored differently, or if it were indented somehow, it would be much easier to parse. For example, I've got a function that does a depth-first-search on a graph. The function takes an optional filter function that takes a vertex and returns…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Transitive assembly references are a pain

Please try the following experiment:

1. Create a new empty F# project.
    2. Use NuGet to add a reference to RavenDB (any version)
    3. Compile.

You’ll get a message about how the compiler needs access to a type that’s referenced by RavenDB, but not referenced by your project, and you need to add a reference to a .NET Framework assembly that’s in the GAC. So you add that reference and recompile. Now you get the same message about another assembly. By the time your project (which has no code in it at all) successfully compiles, you’ve gone through this add-reference-then-recompile…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Fix open declarations in F#.

Use CTRL + (some unused letter) to fix open declarations.
    This would delete unused opens, and add missing ones.
    In case of ambiguity a drop down list of namespaces would be shown.
    This is similar to a NeBeans feature.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Improve interactive loading syntax.

#r and #load are passed in a limited fashion, cannot provide things like #r __SOURCE_DIRECTORY__ + "some.dll"

I would like to see support at the language level for treating #load and #r a functions. This will make it much easier to implement modular functionality into FSI, which currently doesn't support such a feature (F# Compiler.Services cannot load an assembly into the current FSI session without serious messing around)

e.g.
    ["/a.dll"; "/b.dll"]
    |> Seq.map ( (+) __SOURCE_DIRECTORY__)
    |> Seq.map ( (#r) )

or load on demand for scripts

let loadPlugin (name : string (* where name is .fsx *)) =
    #load…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Merge tool to support showing type signature tooltips in F# (and C# var)

Merge tool to support showing tooltips in source code files:
    Type signatures in F# (and C# var)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

20. Send Object and related type info to repl from running process

I want the ability to run arbitrary code using an object from a running process, except that I want the object to persist past the end of the process so I can continue to play with it. Something like an immediate window, except with better code editing support and not tied to the running process.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base