Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. c/c++ compiler option to enforce single declaration per statement

I often have to explain pointer usage in C/C++ to newcomers, and I find the biggest obstacle that newcomers have to overcome is invariably a result of the clumsy pointer declaration that has become (for reasons that confound) generally accepted of late:

datatype *pointer = address;

Obviously the declaration is criminally wrong in its spirit, but does partially fix the historical problem of multiple declarations of mixed types: 'datatype variable, *pointer;'

It would seem logical as well as highly desirable that a C/C++ compiler
    provides some way of breaking compilation if multiple declarations
    are being made in a single statement.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Extend C++ Support for Android Development

Visual Studio has added C++ tools for cross-platform mobile development and they seems to be cool at first sight, but prove to be pretty useless when you start doing something.

Recently I faced the issue of loading the dynamic library. The program crashes. I reported the issue, but the developers told me nothing but use java. That is ridiculous! If I wanted to use java, I would go for Android Studio. Visual Studio is not a java IDE. Almost any more or less serious app needs some third-party functionality (like unrarring or unzipping), which is normally provided by libraries. What…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Header generated for .tlh and .tli files

The Microsoft C++ compiler currently generates a header like this one when importing from an external .tlb or .dll.

// Created by Microsoft (R) C/C++ Compiler Version 14.13.26129.0 (6ddc810e).
    //
    // c:\workspace\development\bridgenet\application\bridgenet.compiler\release\probeenvsrvr.tlh
    //
    // C++ source equivalent of Win32 type library probeenvsrvr.tlb
    // compiler-generated file created 03/26/18 at 14:04:41 - DO NOT EDIT!

There's not much purpose to having a file include a path to itself in the header. If i ever open this file to view its content, then I already know where the file is located. (And if I don't, the Visual Studio IDE will tell me anyway.)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Improve the experience when debugging store/COM objects with VC++ to bring it into line with doing the same thing with C# .Net.

With the Windows store interfaces being COM, the experience you have debugging a C++ store application is considerably less useful (it's largely useless in fact) than it is with C#.
    For example, if you examine a Windows.Storage.StorageFolder variable when debugging a C# app, you can see the names and values of the properties. Doing the equivalent in C++ just shows you Platform::Object and its __vfptr and the interface methods - hardly what you'd hope for.
    This makes development using what should be the best choice language for store applications a pain.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. XAML from/to Standard c++ 11/14. Reverting to Win32 just for Gui is not cool.

This is a major problem for Visual Studio. Allow people that aren't moving right to managed everything to take a half step. I want to use managed GUI but not managed c++. Seems doable to me.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. make it possible to hide the Extern Dependencies Directory in C++ project

for most of the c++ developers, the Extern Dependencies Directory is useless, is there any way to hide it?

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 24 25 26 28 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base