Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support web.config style Transforms on any file in any project type

Web.config Transforms offer a great way to handle environment-specific settings. XML and other files frequently warrant similar changes when building for development (Debug), SIT, UAT, and production (Release). It is easy to create additional build configurations to support multiple environments via transforms. Unfortunately, not everything can be handled in web.config files many settings need to be changed in xml or other "config" files.

Also, this functionality is needed in other project types - most notably SharePoint 2010 projects.

8,819 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    522 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We believe we have addressed the main issues that are top of mind regarding this UserVoice item and are closing this item as completed.

First, we have added additional support for XML files. Second, the Visual Studio team has taken ownership of SlowCheetah and will be maintaining and updating it moving forward. Lastly, SlowCheetah has been integrated with MSBuild by adding NuGet support for transformations. Projects that depend on SlowCheetah will restore NuGet packages and apply transformations after build. We need to balance adding new features to Visual Studio with performance and simplicity. The SlowCheetah extension allows users to add and preview transforms but isn’t required to execute a transform. Given a relatively low usage of these features and the flexibility in shipping we get by staying out of the Visual Studio release cycle, we believe it’s better for the Visual Studio developer community that SlowCheetah stays as an extension…

2. 2,976 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    35 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We think this is a fantastic suggestion and have already begun moving project related files into a “.vs” folder at the root of the solution. You can check it out in the latest CTP of Visual Studio 2015. So far, we have moved the .SUO file and the VB/C# compiler IntelliSense database files to the new location. All new project specific, machine local files will be added to the new location too. We plan on taking this even further in future releases and are investigating how to improve the directory structure of build output and other existing files that can clutter the source tree.

If you are upgrading an existing solution you may need to clean up the old files at the root of the solution. We don’t delete them to ensure your settings are not lost if you round trip the project with earlier versions of Visual Studio.…

3. Fix 260 character file name length limitation

The 260 character limit on file paths really gets in the way of having a deeply-nested project hierarchy. It's only there as backwards compatibility with the old school APIs, and has no place in any sort of modern development environment.

We should be able to work with file paths of whatever size we want.

2,973 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    343 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve removed the limitation from the BCL for the basic file manipulation functionality (CRUD). You can find more details here:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2016/08/02/announcing-net-framework-4-6-2/

Feedback welcome!

At the same time, I’ve filed a more scoped item to track the end-to-end scenario that I believe most of you are asking for here:

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/33659146-allow-building-running-and-debugging-a-net-appl

Immo Landwerth
    Program Manager .NET

4. Better project reload

If you work with DVCS like Git or Mercurial you always switch back and forth between branches. This always cause Visual Studio to reload projects even if they were not changed. Even if project is changed, it should not be that long. And of course it should not ask to reload each project.

445 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Visual Studio 2017 detects that a project file has changed on disk, it shows a message to user to choose between reloading entire solution or reload the project that was changed. If you see any issues with a particular source control system, please send a bug report using “Report a problem” tool in Visual Studio 2017.

Thank you for your feedback!

5. Allow custom build tools to run in parallel

We build a lot of project using the C++ Qt framework with Visual Studio. Header files having Qt signals/slots are run through a tool called the MetaObjectCompiler to generate a cpp file. This is a custom build tool that is not run parallel, though there is no reason why it shouldn't. This makes build awfully slow sometimes.
    I realize it might not be possible to run every custom build tool in parallel, but a per-file option "Can run in parallel" (false as default) might be a solution. The Qt-Addin for VS could set that option to true and you'd make…

248 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Support Solution Templates, which include a number of Project Templates

For any non-trivial solution, I will have multiple projects. Typically, since I try to write loosely coupled, testable, code, I have projects like:
    Core
    Infrastructure
    UnitTests
    UI

For a given platform, say ASPNET MVC, I would like to define a standard solution template that includes the projects. Ideally it would also be easy to customize the template so that the individual projects have certain nuget projects in them (e.g. nunit/xunit), but that can probably already be done separately from this feature.

155 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Debug JavaScript running in the WebView control.

This should apply to Windows Phone Emulator, attached WP8 device, and Windows 8

Currently you can only debug js code if it is running in the root of the app ( ala a JS based application ) It would be great to be able to debug js code running inside a WebView as well.

Even if the only way to do this was by putting `debug` in your js code, and being prompted to open a new instance of VS, it would be extremely helpful.

61 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

To enable this feature set the debugging type in the project properties to “Script” and launch your app. Or, as suggested in the comments, you can detach the managed debugger and then attach the script debugger from the attach to process menu. This should work in VS 2012 and above.

Andy Sterland,
    Program Manager, Visual Studio

8. Integrating Office 365 Users to TFS

Since many of us using Office 365, it is good idea to integrate with O 365 users to TFS.

When I try to assign the user to the project I found that only live id user can be assigned.

This cannot happen in the corporate level, since they should use only corporate email ids.

Please validate this request and make it available to use TFS asap.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Enable Installation of 64Bit Applications

For a development tool in 2014 it should be absolutely self-evident that the distribution of real 64Bit Applications is possible without the need to buy a separate license. InstallShield LE is crippled in a lot of features but that's a real show stopper.

BTW is it really necessary that Install Shield LE shows so very prominently which features are not available (crippled)? On most pages it's hard to find the few options that are available.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have made available the Microsoft Visual Studio Installer extension. You can find the extension here:

For Visual Studio 2013: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=UnniRavindranathan-MSFT.MicrosoftVisualStudio2013InstallerProjects

For Visual Studio 2015: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=VisualStudioProductTeam.MicrosoftVisualStudio2015InstallerProjects

Thank you
    -Paul Chapman
    Visual Studio Program Manager

10. Change recent docs to favourite docs or at least allow me to pin certain solutions.

I work on several projects but have three main ones. It's annoying when one falls of the recent projects menu because I've been doing other things recently. It'd be better if I could say that there are some that are always on the list.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. CMake cross-platform does not properly sync remote build files.

When using Cmake project with a remote Linux target, Visual Studio appears to only notice if a local file has changed and then copies it to the remote. However, it does not delete OR move a remote file in case it has been deleted locally or moved to a different folder.

This can result in a stale file (header) being left in an include folder and taking precedence over the actual file that is in a new include folder path.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Feedback and Knowledge Base