Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Remove the need for .kproj and .kproject.user projects

Currently VS requires project files in order to open. In the old MSBUILD oriented world this was necessary. With K however, all you need is a Project.json and you can build outside the IDE or in other editors like Sublime.

Only when you go into VS do the files become required. A better experience would be to allow pointing to the Project.json / or a folder and it just loads up.

69 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. If you haven’t already, I’d encourage you to try out Visual Studio Code for this scenario.

Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time. If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Paul Chapman
      Program Manager, Visual Studio

• Detect and prevent duplicate references

For some reason it seems to be possible, through the upgrade of NuGet references and such, to end up in a state where a project has multiple references to varying versions of the same assembly. I understand what a NuGet package instal does is beyond the scope of VS's control, but it should detect problems like this and offer to fix them.

I just ran into the problem mentioned in this SO post, and based on the number of votes, obviously this is a endemic problem. The fact that VS offered no substantive help to make me realize a manual…

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio IDE team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Will Buik
        Program Manager, Visual Studio IDE Team

• 3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Allow during compiling CPU usage and Cuda/GPU acceleration to be limited in VS settings

here is how to switch GPU acceleration off:
          https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2894215
          That is ok to reduce GPU heat.

but often still CPU usage is very high during comiling (even on a Quad-Core). It would be great to have a limiter, so that CPU usage during compiling is not exceeding high CPU temperatures, to avoid increasing fan speeds. Also the entire system response can be down, which is bad. Compiling time may increase, but that is no real Problem. For me it is more worse, that the system heats up and is not responsive. So a temperature-based CPU/GPU limiter would be great.

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio IDE team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Will Buik

• More support when editing a Project files

More support when editing a Project files.
            I think it's good when all support functions of the Project File and the Solution File are also supported on the Properies. Without open the project file always in Text-Editor to Change importend things. For example, the Build Configuration or ClickOnce settings. Other sample changing a projecttype in Project file, for example, from "WinForms" to "WPF" (without manual change the Guid)

3 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

Will Buik

• Add Service Installer by default when creating a new Windows Service

Currently you have to add it in the toolbox when you have created a new Windows Service project. Where do you ever NOT need the installer?

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

Will Buik

• read last version when at project opening

it was possible in 2010/13 version, when project is opened and it belong to a team Foundation server, was possible to set a question "would you read last version?" etc, etc...

tahnk you!

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Will Buik

• Show what template was used to create a project

I love the work the Visual Studio team is doing, but as there are more and more project types, it becomes impossible to keep track of what project type one used to create a project. "Did I create a class library or class library (package)?".

It would be awesome if you could add a project template attribute to the Project Properties tab. When a project cannot load because the project type is unsupported, you should show what type of project it is so that people can find the right template. Optimally, it should provide a link to where to install…

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Will Buik

• Option to embed references

Embedding referenced assemblies as a resource is quite possible, though annoying to integrate into projects (post-build scripts, etc).

I would much rather have the option to simply embed the referenced assembly (and any of its dependencies, recursively) into the project's output file (DLL/EXE/etc).

Ideally, the process would also adjust the app's ResolveAssembly handler to check the assembly.

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Will Buik

• Add directories "by reference" to copy complex directory structures as-is.

In XCode (sorry) it's possible to add a directory "by reference". Doing so copies the contents of that directory as-is to the final AppX so it can be used as resources. When creating games there are a LOT of files that have a VERY high frequency of change. Doing a Version Control update removes and adds (art, sound, effect, script) files on an hourly basis. Right now, I cannot specify "copy all these files to the Phone" when I run a debug build, while the game needs them. I know I can include all the files and make them as…

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Will Buik

• Support MVP pattern for ASP.NET WebForms applications

With al those new and improved pattern implementations for VS2010 like ASP.NET MVC and MVVM for SL and WP7. There is also one missing and thats the MVP pattern for ASP.NET WebForms. Almost all my clients who develop with ASP.NET WebForms makes an big mess of their WebApp architecture and that's because they don't use an proper User Interface pattern and develop all their businesslogic in their WebForms, not to mention the testability. Several years ago the patterns & practices team developed Web Client Software Factory who contained the ObjectContainerDataSource with the MVP pattern. The ObjectContainerDataSource is in my honoust…

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for all the feedback on this item. Please be advised that we have moved this item to the ASP.NET User Voice site (http://aspnet.uservoice.com) and transferred the associated votes. We are going to close this item out and release your votes back to you so you can apply them elsewhere. Note that the votes will remain with the item on the other site, so the item will not lose any of its current vote count, and you will recoup your votes on this site. To track the status, post comments, or add votes on this item, please go to http://aspnet.uservoice.com/forums/41202-asp-net-webforms/suggestions/3090792-support-mvp-pattern-for-asp-net-webforms-applicati and sign in using your current user ID and login.

• Persist custom startup settings

Create a mechanism for persisting startup settings in the (or next to) the solution file. Today this isn't possible to do if you need multiple startup projects (and only possible with single startup by using a hack).

Scenario:

Say for example that I have a solution with multiple web projects that depends on each other and some WCF services that the web projects depend on. Unless everything starts in the correct order nothing will work...

Today, if a new developer clones my project I have to either be sure they read the Readme (which nobody does) or I have to…

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Will Buik

• Support Solution templates that specify existing projects

Solution Templates currently allow for specifying Project Templates, and Projects as part of the Project Collection. Unfortunately this requires that:

1. The author add every individual file specification to the Project tag in the Solution Template.
                            2. The resultant solution creates copies of the added existing solution. This is particularly unsatisfactory.

The ability to automate the inclusion of multiple standard common existing projects will further enhance the functionality for developers in office scenarios where libraries have been written for standardizing certain functions for every project written.

The end state should be that with a solution template, I can spawn a…

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

Will Buik

• create screen (form) maps and markup documentation

Screen maps and English Description of Subs/Functions/Classes documentation can be used to provide requirements, training, process workflow, or other documentation. The process workflow(s) and documentation should also be able to be linked to all other process workflow(s) and documentation within the solution.

It would be even better if this could be somewhat automated by scanning the code (IE when Form1 Button1 is clicked, a new instance of Form2 is created and Class Form2 sub New is executed. In sub New Function XYZ is called to populate ComboBox1)

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Will Buik

• Allow conditional compilation for PublishUrl and other additional elements

MSBuild allows some properties (e.g., OutputPath and DefineConstants) to be dependent on configuration, but not others.

Most helpful to me would be the values on the Publish tab of the project properties page, for example, PublishUrl, InstallUrl, and ApplicationVersion. This would allow a "Test" configuration to be created that will publish to a separate URL for user acceptance testing.

Currently I have to change all those values by hand for each update to the Test version.

Doesn't it seem odd that I can change the Assembly version based on a conditional, but not the Publish version?

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Will Buik

• Include multiple module files with one click

Allow easity including a folder of modules in VB/C# without having to include them one by one or build libraries. It is tedious to include 20 standard math modules into a new project, a mess to have thousands of lines in the same document and overkill to make a library just for math.

2 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Will Buik

• Build multiple solution in parallel

The ability to build a large number of solution according to inter solution dependencies.

Assume the following dependencies between solutions: A<-B<-C and D<-A. When asked to build all solutions, solution A will start, and when finished both B and D will started, and when B finishes, C can be started.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Will Buik

• The next generation of IDE

我想谈论的是一个概念性的vs。现有的vs是文件方式管理的,所有的内容都归结为文件。但是我创意的概念是不关心文件,文件由系统控制,而ide关心的是结构。一个3D的项目树关系结构浏览模型,通过这个3D项目树模型来管理整个项目的类接口成员,也许具体代码需要文字编辑器,但是我们不再关心文件。一切都从结构出发。

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Will Buik

• Support all AspNetCompiler parameters with websites in solution file

The AspNetCompiler task has a great many features, and among them is the ability to specify a particular version of the ASP.NET compiler to use via ToolPath. Websites inside solution files contain constructs similar to AspNetCompiler tasks, but these seem to be missing support for ToolPath, and I suspect support for other properties as well. My solution looks like this:

ProjectSection(WebsiteProperties) = preProject
                                        SccProjectName = "SAK"
                                        SccAuxPath = "SAK"
                                        SccLocalPath = "SAK"
                                        SccProvider = "SAK"
                                        TargetFrameworkMoniker = ".NETFramework,Version%3Dv4.0"
                                        Debug.AspNetCompiler.VirtualPath = "/MyPath"
                                        Debug.AspNetCompiler.PhysicalPath = "MyPath\"
                                        Debug.AspNetCompiler.TargetPath = "PrecompiledWeb\MyPath\"
                                        Debug.AspNetCompiler.Updateable = "true"
                                        Debug.AspNetCompiler.ForceOverwrite = "true"
                                        Debug.AspNetCompiler.FixedNames = "false"
                                        Debug.AspNetCompiler.Debug = "True"
                                        Debug.AspNetCompiler.ToolPath…

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for all the feedback on this item. Please be advised that we have moved this item to the ASP.NET User Voice site (http://aspnet.uservoice.com) and transferred the associated votes. We are going to close this item out and release your votes back to you so you can apply them elsewhere. Note that the votes will remain with the item on the other site, so the item will not lose any of its current vote count, and you will recoup your votes on this site. To track the status, post comments, or add votes on this item, please go to http://aspnet.uservoice.com/forums/41199-general-asp-net/suggestions/3090817-support-all-aspnetcompiler-parameters-with-website and sign in using your current user ID and login.

• support project merges to enable merging formerly distinct products into one solution

For many years we developed different product independent from each other (own projects in TFS). As markets and technologies changed, we would now like to merge the formerly independent products(TFS Projects) in to a singe solution.

But you can´t create a node on top of projects to hang all existing Projects(=products) under that node nor can you create below one Project and import the existing projects without loosing all history and the possibility to fix bugs in current AND previous Versions

If had created 15 years ago a project as root node "all Dev Projects" and then created a child…

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Will Buik

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base