Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable VS Community activation/registration offline

It would be nice if there was a way to register/activate the Community Edition of VS offline, that one can use it (longer than 30 days) on virtual machines without internet access or PC that cannot access the Internet.
    There's a way to install it on machines like those discribed above using the "/layout"-Option of the setup on another PC to then install it on the offline PC afterwards, but then there isn't an option to register/activate that copy of VS.
    For example let us download a license file for the community edition in addition to signing into a Microsoft-Account…

685 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    109 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback and the suggestion about Community edition.

This may not be the answer that you want to hear, but we do require occasional online connectivity as a requirement of using Visual Studio Community. As you probably know, we introduced Visual Studio Community two years ago as a free, full-featured development environment designed for students, open source contributors, small companies, startups and individual developers.

While we set out to try and make Community as broadly available as possible, we recognize that it doesn’t accommodate every scenario. For those who need offline usage, Professional and Enterprise editions might be a better choice.

Since we’re not able to accommodate this request, we are closing this suggestion to return your votes. While we can’t address all suggestions, we appreciate the feedback and hope you’ll continue to share your ideas.

Thanks,

Visual Studio Team

2. easy msi deployment

- integrate wix for msi deployment in IDE
    - better scan of dependencies
    - enhance custom action development. (integrate in ide...)
    - support msp-patch development
    - setup designer (setup GUI)

79 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support Visual Studio 2012 on Vista

Please support Visual Studio 2012 on Vista and not just .NET 4.5.

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add XNA support to Visual Stuido 11

Actualy, XNA Game Studio 4 can not install to Visual Studio 11.
    Visual Studio 10 must be installed.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Downloads as torrent

Just a suggestion - microsoft should provide all there downloads also as torrents thats a much better way to download files

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi, thanks for your feedback! We have decided against using torrents to distribute Microsoft products at this time, although various teams are using other peer-to-peer download optimizations, for example: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-update-delivery-optimization-faq

For Visual Studio, we encourage you to use the /layout command line option if you have intermittent network connectivity: this caches a local copy of the installation files so that you can be confident the setup itself will complete: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e2h7fzkw.aspx

Thanks for your feedback,

Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

6. Add Visual Studio to the Windows Store

Please add Visual Studio to the Windows 10 store. This would make installs a lot more convenient!

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Virtual PC with everything preinstalled VS11, SQL2012, etc.

I would like to provide feedback for pre-release versions but there are many obvious reasons I do not want to install the pre-release versions of Visual Studio 11. It is very time consuming, it can pollute the developer's environment, uninstall bugs, etc. Think about the time it takes to download and install all the components and multiply that by the number of developers. That's a lot of redundant time.

If you could provide an option to download a Virtual PC file that contains Windows 8, VS11, SQL2012 preinstalled, etc. We would be able to provide the feedback and ideas on…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Make VS installable upon wine

Now I cannot run VS on linux system, so I have to keep and use windows. Could you fix this?

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. My vwdexpress installation not work fine on my computer. do you have sollution ?

I have download VWD 11 beta on my computer and install it it's not work.
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
    Problem Signature 01: vwdexpress.exe
    Problem Signature 02: 11.0.50214.1
    Problem Signature 03: 4f3a2a00
    Problem Signature 04: Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.11.0
    Problem Signature 05: 11.0.50214.1
    Problem Signature 06: 4f3a10b5
    Problem Signature 07: 13ed
    Problem Signature 08: 56
    Problem Signature 09: System.InvalidCastException
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 16393
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Visual Studio 14 CTP 2 should not require KB2919355

Many windows users do not want apply KB2919355 update, so Visual Studio 14 CTP 2 should be able to install without this update.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Remove Visual Basic from Visual Studio 2013

I love VS.NET but I never write code in Visual Basic. I always write code in C#.

VS.NET 2013 does not allow anyone to un-install visual basic from vs.net

older versions of vs.net did used to allow people to be able to pick the languages. but vs.net always installs the visual basic.

please allow me to remove visual basic from vs.net

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your feedback. We aren’t going to remove features from Visual Studio 2013 or Visual Studio 2015. However, we are focusing on creating a fast and lightweight installation experience for the upcoming Visual Studio ‘15’. You can read more about it here: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2016/08/22/visual-studio-15-preview-4/#

And, you can add your votes to this UserVoice suggestion: https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015/suggestions/4750782-make-the-installation-of-visual-studio-light-weigh

13. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. iran

Hello
    I have download VisualStudio 2015 Community. In order to update the License, I have to sign in. But When I want to sign in, It ask me for Country/Region and the Iran (The country I born and live) does not exist.
    Please add Iran to this list, because I download this free version of VisualStudio to be honest and loyal (avoid using piracy software), so I shouldn`t lie about my country now.
    You don`t mean people in Iran should not use your software, do you?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Bundle InstallAware with Visual Studio 2015

With features like one-click App-V build, 64-bit compression, sliding/fading wizard animations, and InstantInstall acceleration technology; InstallAware is the most advanced Win32 setup engine available today.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. As you probably know, we have InstallShield and the Installer Projects extension (https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/f1cc3f3e-c300-40a7-8797-c509fb8933b9) for Visual Studio. As we see increasing uptake of UWP apps for Windows, we’re not planning to integrate more traditional setup project types into Visual Studio at this time so I’ve closed this suggestion. Thanks for your input!

Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

16. Make it clear that setup is done: message box/close the installer.

The installer should display a message box and eventually exit after the requested components have been installed.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for using Visual Studio and for your commitment to improving it. In Dev15 the installer will remain open even after it completes because it gives you a way to launch the product and learn how to use. The Dev15 installer is completely different to Dev14, please try it out and give us your feedback. At the time of writing the latest release is Preview 4:
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2016/08/22/visual-studio-15-preview-4/

Angelos Petropoulos | Visual Studio Team

17. Provide Visual Studio updates as msi packages

My organization has restrictions on downloading exe files and our IT help desk will not help us get around these restrictions. For me that means I can't install updates to Visual Studio because they are delivered as exe files. If it was possible to package them as msi packages instead, it would be easier for me to get updates installed.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for using Visual Studio and for your commitment to improving it. In Dev15 we are moving away from MSIs because of the impact they have on a user’s machine. There is no plan for Visual Studio updates to not require launching an executable or having administrative rights.

Angelos Petropoulos | Visual Studio Team

18. andriod

连不上谷歌,安装不了Xamarin。
    In China,it can't connect Google,so I always will get the errors of install by android API when installing Xamarin.

Maybe should create a standlone package with andriod api to fix it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base