Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. installer rollback

It would be very helpful if the VS installer had the ability to easily roll back to a prior version. Currently, there is no way to do this short of completely uninstalling VS, and reinstalling, which is extremely painful.

This feature would be useful because Microsoft is releasing frequent updates to VS, many of which have show stopper bugs in them. A great example is 15.6.x, which has badly broken unit testing support.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Include download size per workload on the Visual Studio Installer

It would be very handy to know exactly how much data is being downloaded on install as restricted broadband packages aren't very convenient on this sort of scenario and charges can rise pretty quickly.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Allow the package cache to be moved to shared location with team members

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351440/allow-the-package-cache-to-be-moved-to-shared-loca.html
    VS Setup has very heavy footprint on the hard drive. Especially because of the package cache that keep setup locally.

In virtualized environment, when several developers are using several VM with dev tools, this leads to a huge amount of disk space waste.

It would be nice in the cache location could be selected, and put on a network share, reachable by all team members.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback: we agree that this is an opportunity to reduce the installation footprint for VS. We are considering some options here, including turning the package cache off by default in the next release of Visual Studio and/or allowing you to set the install location.

Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

4. Cleanup VS2017 installation files

After installing VS2017 I have over 6GB of packages in the following location:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Packages

Can I safely remove this files? Shouldn't the installer remove them for me? Could there be an option on the installer to do so?

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. set `%VS150COMNTOOLS%`

Why don't you just set `%VS150COMNTOOLS%` (for the multiple instance use-case you could set is to a `;` delimited list, like `%Path%`) so we could just find `VsDevCmd.bat`, you could even drop `vswhere` in there, and all would be solved happily.

ENV access is something all platforms have (COM isn't), and like I said before the installer is an Electron app, so I think it's you responsibility to assist us in getting Electron to easily compile on VS2017

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Would be great that the isolated shell setup follow each update releases

The VS2013 isolated shell setup was under 200 MB and that was just perfect. But then come updates. That setup never follows those updates like other editions. The last update 5 require 6 GB and there is no way to target only the isolated shell.

It would be really appreciate in the future to:
    - have a new setup of the isolated shell with every update release
    - or have update setup to target only the shell without installing extra components.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Make install faster.

Visual Studio Express used to install within a couple of minutes. Now, on a new faster computer I'm waiting for 30 minutes and I'm at about 50%. Download has ended 15 minutes ago and I keep waiting and waiting. :(

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow uninstall Office extension without uninstalling important components

I installed a fresh installation of VS2017 and installed only WPF/Winform components. Visual Studio automaticly installs the Ofice extension. I dont develop Office components, we even dont have Office365 at our Office. So I tried to uninstall that extension. This forces me to uninstall come basic WPF components. That makes no sense for me. Can you let developers uninstall this without breaking the Studio? In 2013 and 2015 this was possible as far as i know.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. installer checks room for files

The install downloads files then installs but if you have C drive as SSD with not much room the install fails even if you have selected D drive for the install. So you could also allow the install to use drive D or any other that has the room for the downloaded files. The default seems to be for the C drive to do the work before it is installed to D.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Install less data on C:

We use to have rather small SSDs as bootdrives (c:) with windows on it.

Even if I choose another drive for the installation itself, the setup installs tons of stuff on C:

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Visual Studio Installer should show Release notes

Since VS 2017 updates are much more frequent now (and thank you for that) it would be nice If the installer could show what's there in the newer release that i'm installing.
    LIke the details shown here https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/releasenotes/vs2017-relnotes#15.1.26403.0

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. There is no pause button.

There is no pause button. Please add a pause button.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow user to nominate a cache folder for VS 2017 Installation

On the new VS 2017 installer, add a small button somewhere before clicking the Install button that allows the person installing to nominate the path the install packages are acquired from and downloaded to. Then the installer looks here before downloading from the Internet (this allows a lot of devs in the same company to nominate a Network File Share, saving on large downloads when they all install the same feature set). The packages would still be hash verified etc. to ensure the correct packages are cached etc.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. see the size of the download before starting

if you could see the size of the download before starting the download you could decide at what time of the day to download.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow pre-download of components before instalation

It should be able to pre-download the components of the installation without locking V.S. and then install the downloaded components.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Improve Visual Studio (Community) installation / update progress information

Not for the first time, I am getting very confusing progress info when istalling / updating VS 2017. As you can see in a picture attached, the installation seems to be stuck (!) on 'Aquiring Xamarin.VisualStudio' 5%, while also saying FInishing up 100% below it.

It is hard to tell what is going on here. I am waiting and I have no idea what to do. Should I run Process Monitor to see what's up? Should I have to do this? Should I look into some log to see more? Where is this log then? Could I have some link…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Change Git SSL backend to SChannel

Hi,

we are useing TFS 2017 U3 on premise as the backend for Visual Studio 2017.
    Our TFS is reachable via https.

When I'm trying to clone a repo I get this error.

Git failed with a fatal error.
    unable to access 'https://tfs...': SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate

The problem is that the git version that is bundled with VS is using the "Linux" crypto backend.

It uses this config to find the trusted root CAs
    [http]
    sslCAinfo = /ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt
    instead of the Windows CA (where the Company CA is included).

The git Version…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. VS2017: Less Frequently Updates

Beginning with Visual Studio 2017, updates are delivered a little too often. At the time of writing this, the products GA is about two months but we already had two bigger updates, and some KBs in-between. Compared to the update cycle of the previous Visual Studio versions, I find this cadence too fast. I don't want to spend time every other weak to download and install a new Visual Studio minor version or hotfix. IMHO, releasing a bigger update every few months like in the past was more appropriate and less stressful.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Fast Uninstall

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351094/fast-uninstall.html
    Visual Studio 2015 sure is slow to uninstall. I think you should make it a little faster to uninstall. I tried to uninstall it because of an error, I decided to install it again. But it took so long to uninstall so I just stopped uninstalling it. Yeah.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for using Visual Studio and for your commitment to improving it. In Dev15 we have a new installer and one of our goals is to improve the install and uninstall performance. Please try out the preview releases and give us your feedback. The latest preview release at this moment in time is Preview 4:
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2016/08/22/visual-studio-15-preview-4/

Angelos Petropoulos | Visual Studio Team

Feedback and Knowledge Base