Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Create a "remove all remnants of Visual Studio from your system" program.

I'm writing this on behalf of the thousands of other Visual Studio users out there who have had nightmares trying to uninstall previous versions of VS. Thus cumulatively losing hundreds of thousands of productive work hours.

During this year, I had installed the following programs/components on my system:
    * Visual Studio 2012 Express for Desktop
    * Visual Studio 2012 Express for Web
    * Team Foundation Server Express
    * SQL Server Express
    * SQL Server Data Tools
    * LightSwitch 2011 trial (which created a VS 2010 installation)
    * Visual Studio 2010 Tools for SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2
    * Entity Framework…

3,958 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      167 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We hear you. Uninstalling Visual Studio is not a pain-free experience.

As mentioned in a previous update, Visual Studio is one of the most complex installers because it includes support for many different languages, frameworks and platforms, installing runtimes from Microsoft and other companies. When someone attempts to uninstall VS (often many months later), it’s not easy to know which components are in use by other applications that may have been installed in the meantime, since some third-party install packages don’t track this. So we err on the side of leaving more remnants rather than risk leaving other apps without the dependencies they need to execute.

If you’re comfortable with this trade-off, we have built a couple of solutions for you:

1. Use the /force switch when running uninstall, which provides a more aggressive approach. This is documented in more detail here:
      http://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/heaths/2015/07/17/.

2. We’ve completed work on a…

• Offline Windows 10 SDK and UWP tools

Please provide completely offline Win10 SDK+ UWP tools as ISO file so that it can be installed without internet connection.
      There is no Windows 10 SDK and UWP tools in whole 7 GB VS update2 ISO setup and setup completes with error on not installing them because of poor internet connection. While this site, https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads clearly says it is already included “Use a free, Visual Studio Community 2015 with Update 2 client that already includes the latest Windows 10 developer tools to get started creating innovative and compelling Universal Windows apps and Classic Windows applications.”

When trying to download offline…

106 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        12 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi there, a few useful things that we have for you to address this suggestion:

Firstly, you can run the Windows SDK in a “layout” mode, which creates a local offline cache of all the required files. Simply download the Windows 10 SDK from here: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-10-sdk and then run sdksetup.exe /layout . You can also run sdksetup.exe /? for more options. The same applies for the Windows 10 emulators, incidentally.

For Visual Studio 2015 in an offline scenario, we’ve heard the feedback below and created an administrator’s guide which helps administrators deploy Visual Studio in more challenging environments. The guide is available here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee225238.aspx

Best wishes, Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

• A version of VS build tools which require no installation

Allow users to put a small part of VS inside version control and then build their product on a new machine without installing VS by (1) version-control checkout and (2) running build.
        It will allow having all users in the org use the exact same version, solving different-version-installed problems. It will also be compatible with how MS work internally (Razzle, etc).

22 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          3 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.
          - The Visual Studio Team

• Expan on WIX projects

Look, I'm over the whole setup & deployment deployment project, but really think that the ISLE is such a bad replacement.

Is it possible to may expand on say the WIX toolset, Perhaps make a nice simple wizard interface? It's one thing to build a nice simple windows app that takes me 2-3hrs, but then I'm spending the same amount of time typing out XML to build the msi for it.

16 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            4 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Visual studio verson for window xp

I'm 16 years old and i only have an old laptop running windows xp, because visual studio is not compatible with xp and i do not have enough money to buy a new laptop or update the software I can't do any windows developing. (I've used touchdevelop for a while but it really isn't that great for the more extensive developing. I'd love it if you guys could publish a version that is compatible with windows xp.

12 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              2 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Stop requiring a PC restart after installing updates

VS2012 Update 3 requires the PC be updated when complete. Given that this is 2013, and MS was bragging about getting restart scenarios down to something like 5 back when Win2K was released, it seems like high time that non-kernel updates - particularly user level applications - should not require the entire system be restarted. I just can't believe that we're *still* having to do this; 10 years ago, I'd have put money on MS being able to dynamically restart the *kernel* without a reboot by now!

7 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Make Visual Studio as UAP

Do you have a plan to transfer Visual Studio to UAP?
                Is it real with Project Centennial?

7 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Closing this suggestion for now. While we’ll continue to invest in reducing the friction of installing and managing Visual Studio, we’re not planning to convert it to a UWP app in the immediate future for the reasons highlighted in the previous response.

Thanks for your feedback, Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

• enable installation of the Visual Studio 2013 to Windows Embedded OS

Using the Visual Studio 2013 in Windows Embedded OS would make it easier and faster to resolve issues in the C++ embedded application. In some cases the network or other connection to the embedded system is not possible or it requires significant changes to the embedded device. These changes may affect to the issue that is under investigation and may make it hard to repeat and identify the issue.

7 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Please provide EULA for Visual Studio redistributables with the compiler...

Please provide EULA for Visual Studio redistributables with the compiler as was done in the past. Visual Studio 2015 does not include redistributable EULA with the installed tool. The limited notices that are provided are out-of-date and License.htm still contains reference VS 2012. The web links in those documents are also broken. Not having access to EULA forces our legal review team to have to contact Microsoft support to obtain them whereas in the past they could simply be pulled from the installation directories.

6 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • make Visual Studio 2012 actually compatible with Windows 7 64bit.

Make Visual Studio Professional 2012 compatible with Windows 7 64 bit. After the hour + install and reboot Windows refused to launch Visual Studio 2012 Professiona. saying that it has "known incompatibilities" with my operating system (windows 7).

Really?! WTF? I can see if I was using XP but Windows 7?

4 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        closed  ·  4 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Make sure Antivirus companies know about your downloadable file formats as I have a Trend Micro IWSVA issue:Infection detail:

Make sure Antivirus companies know about your downloadable file formats as I have a Trend Micro IWSVA issue:Infection detail:
                        page : http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/d0d33361-18e2-46c0-8ff2-4adea1e34fef?SRC=Home
                        Error
                        Infection detail:
                        -- File: ProPowerTools.vsix, malicious code name: ZIP_64BIT_File
                        The uncleanable file is deleted

4 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Bring back Visual Studio Installer

This Install Shield Lite is a pain to use. It assumes anyone using Visual Studio is using it for a company. You are forced to put in a company name when creating the install. Visual Studio Installer was quick and easy to use. It was great for developers who just wanted a quick installation program.

4 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Allow Product Update to be dismissed / hidden

At one point I had Azure tooling extensions and Windows Phone related tooling installed. I noticed Azure product update wouldn't go away, even after I installed the update (installer runs outside visual studio). This drove me crazy along with the heavy external install of Azure so I uninstalled all things Azure from my system but now that Azure update is permanently there.

Similar story for Windows Phone except installer wouldn't let me update.

Allow me to dissmis / hide a product update so I'm not permantently stuck with updates to products no longer there. See Screenshot.png attached.

4 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. We have changed how we handle product and extension updates in Visual Studio 2017. With this new version of the product, we will install updates only for workloads and components that you have installed. You can read more information here:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2016/11/10/extensibility-in-visual-studio-15-increasing-reliability-and-performance/

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2016/06/17/redesigning-visual-studio-installation

— The Visual Studio Team

• Improve the download format/style for VS2013

How about:
                              - Clearly showing the size of the download before it starts(if I'd known the download to try VS2013 was over 8 gigs I'd have taken the express version).
                              - Allowing users to choose which modules they want to download (Windows phone? maybe i'll get that later, or never).
                              - Allowing the download to be paused (the only option is cancel)
                              - Showing a percentage completed, or a list of what has to be downloaded, or anything informative rather than that blue bar and the silly dots.
                              -
                              -

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Closing this suggestion since (a) it applies to VS2013; and (b) we’re making major investments in this area in the next version of Visual Studio, including revisiting some of these capabilities. Look forward to your feedback!

Best wishes, Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team | Microsoft

• Put ASP 5 template & Apache Cordova tools in install package

I already downloaded Visual Studio 2015, update 2, but still needs to download ASP 5 template & Apache Cordova tools, why you didn't put them in install package?
                                Or why you didn't provide offline download for this 2 part?

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi there, ASP.NET 5 is still in development (at the time of Update 2, only the RC build was available), so we’ve kept it out of band for now. In the future, it will be part of the Visual Studio core installation experience. Apache Cordova updates very frequently, so we treat that as an out-of-band release. Visual Studio setup can manage its installation, but we keep it separate so we don’t have to ship a new Update every time Cordova refreshes. You can download Cordova independently, however.

Best wishes, Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

• Fix the report a bug link:https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/LoadSubmitFeedbackForm

I installed the community edition and it caused my tascam us-690 sound interface drive to fail. Did a system restore and its back. When I tried to report the bug from the https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/LoadSubmitFeedbackForm link, the page crashe

2 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • VS2013 reset ALL window settings

Upon first launching my Win Store App on a computer with multiple displays, ALL of my window settings were completely F@#$%^D up!

What I mean is, my LOCKED start menu which is on my secondary monitor was reset to the main/primary monitor. Outlook on my third screen was moved to the primary screen, likewise ALL of my icons on my 2nd monitor, you guessed it, "transported" to the primary. NOT good guys! Devs take their time to setup their monitors and windows (VS windows were all screwed up too!) to just have you toast their settings? NO, that'll happen ONCE!…

2 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Make the use of hyper-v optional, not all are developing for the cloud

I have a server with Hyper-V operating, no need for that on a desktop

2 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Silverlight Installation package user friendly suggestion

Please add a user friendly graphic/instructions to the install package (Silverlight 5.dmg, i.e. mac) so the user knows to double click the "stack of papers" after double-clicking the downloaded file (.dmg). A friend in another state was having problems installing Silverlight, so I used TeamViewer to see her desktop and finally solved the problem. I've installed other programs that have this.Thank you.

2 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Remove website shortcuts from the startmenu

After installing on Windows 8 I notice 14 new desktop shortcuts. A lot of them are completely useless and with the Metro start screen I'd like it as clean as possible. Please remove any website shortcuts (WCF RIA services x 2, Silverlight SDK x 2), Silverlight, Windows SDK Windows Kits, Developer command prompt, Build Notifications and Windows app cert kit.

2 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base