Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Give a way to specify the dwCreationFlags parameter when creating/starting a Process

Please introduce a new property in the ProcessStartInfo type (it actually can have a default value set), which let the user to specify the dwCreationFlags argument of the WinApi CreateProcess call. There is really a big need for this.

Thanks in advance.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Run custom javascript function after validation

It is useful in certain situations to be able to run my own javascript function after validation occurred.
    A real world example I stumbled upon now is this: if a validator fails, I need to clear the form from all the values, I don't think I can currently do this client-side, can I?

It would be very simple: a new property in the validator markup called AfterValidationFunction (or whatever) where I will write the function name, and the function would have the validator referenced in the signature, so it can access its "isvalid" property (I do not have code beside…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow code execution in the context of the application pool account in ASP.NET

Something that has been bothering ASP.NET developers since day one is when they would like in some scenarios to execute code in the context of the application pool account. Can you please implement it in HttpApplicationInstance so that code can be executed in the context of the Application Pool account? Something similar to SharePoint SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPriviledges?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.
    - The Visual Studio Team

4. Bring manual memory management into .NET framework

In some cases it would be cozily to switch off the garbage collector and proceed with plain old "new-delete" behavior. I think it should gain performance in some cases.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. please add "has" keyword for checking dynamic variable

dynamic binding is useful with web variable
    However it too dangerous and throw exception like crazy when we try to access its member

dynamic object should be able to use "has" keyword to be a boolean check that there are member with this name or not

something like this
    dynamic X = JSON.Parse("{ 'a' = 5 }")
    if(X has a) return X.a

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.
    - The Visual Studio Team

6. Please port the DRM support for linux/moonlight.

Porting the DRM support for linux/moonlight could possibly bring in millions of Linux users to Netflix. Microsoft could charge just a few cents of each video streamed by Netflix to cover the licensing of DRM.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

7. Throw an exception for invalid attributes on runtime/dependentAssembly/assemblyIdentity

If you have a small casing typo in the assemblyIdentity element, the redirect simply doesn't happen, but you don't get any configuration errors. For instance <assemblyIdentity name="MyAssembly" PublicKeyToken="1234..."/> would just pass through and not get identified due to the capital P in publicKeyToken.

Please throw an exception instead of just ignoring it. I just spent a day tearing my hair off trying to figure out why the redirect didn't work.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Resource Fall Back Process

Resource Fall Back Process - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/sb6a8618.aspx

Should include a step to look in the current assembly for culture specific resource. Satellite assemblies can be merged into the main assembly using ILMerge. Every time this option is chosen, the customers have to build their own resource manager.

Scenario - Microsoft CRM online platform strongly recommends using database storage for CRM plugins. This helps them store the assembly in a database and deploy on a server in a cluster; thus supporting cloud infrastructure. If the plugin needs localized resources, the option is to ILMerge the satellite assemblies into the main assembly.

If…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Task Updater

The new Task<> class is a great tool for multithreading but the features could be handy when managing other processes such as waiting for an event to occur or a process to start.

To accomplish this ITask could be an interface and the static methods currently available to Task could be available to ITask. Custom implementations of task.Result = value; would be helpful when using for example: Task.WaitForAny(dbToReturn, timerToComplete, cancelationTask);

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

10. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

11. Add a truncation method to String that wouldn't cut surrogates and combining characters

Abruptly truncating a string can bisect a surrogate pair or separate a character from its combining marks (such as diacritics).

The String class should provide a Truncate method that would avoid truncating in the middle of such a sequence, rounding down to the previous one.

Also, this function should accept that the maxLength parameter exceed the current length of the string (unlike the Substring() method, which throws).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Extended range of usable background colors for TextBox controls

If the brightness of the background of a TextBox control is medium (average value of RGB components is close to 128 from 255 or 80 hexa), the cursor and the caret became invisible. The behavior is annoying especially in the multilined form when the control is used to build some sort of text editor.
    For example for around this background colors the cursor and the caret become very hardly visible or invisible:
    Red - 118, Green - 150, Blue - 118
    Red - 118, Green - 118, Blue - 150
    Red - 128, Green - 128, Blue - 128
    That…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

13. 呵呵哒

页面上看起来有点让人昏昏欲睡的感觉

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    closed  ·  0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. how save txt file in database

how i connect the micro soft acess to form a database and link to visual studio 2008

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. MEF Extensions

Rather than requiring static classes for Extensions let us use instances as instances are easier to test and mock. The MEF Framework would be a nice place to do this and could give additional power to Extensions.

The syntax could look familiar to current Extensions; EG:

File Program.class {...
    imports My.Extension.Interfaces.ILogger
    "test".Log();
    ...}

File: MyLogger.cs { ...
    [Export, PartCreationPolicy(CreationPolicy.NonShared)]
    public class MyLogger: ILogger
    {
    public void Log(this string s){...}
    }
    ...}

With this syntax I could mock my extension methods in unit testing. I could also write my code with lots of signal while keeping it loosely…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

17. Better to implement WPF's System.Windows.Automation.Peers.AutomationPeer.GetPattern() method using Generics

The GetPattern()] method implementation of WPF UI Automation system is implemented taking the enum parameter PatternInterface and we normally use it in the following way:

//Code with original implementation
    ButtonAutomationPeer buttonPeer = new ButtonAutomationPeer(button1);
    IInvokeProvider provider = (IInvokeProvider)buttonPeer.GetPattern(PatternInterface.Invoke); //Line in Question
    //To invoke the click event of button we then use the following code:
    provider.Invoke();

From the above code, it seems that the line with comment Line in Question is not strongly typed, we need to cast the return from GetPattern() method to the required interface and then use it to invoke the specific UI automations.

Question is:
    Would it…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Please have generic constraint for { class or Nullable struct }

Most of the time we just want to make a generic that can support both class and struct. And want to return null to tell that the value is missing

So the best solution is to treat nullable struct equally to class
    We may have keyword nullable to constraint generic like this

public class Indexer<nullable> { public this[int i] { get { return null; } } }
    Indexer<object> objs;
    Indexer<int?> ints;

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

19. Why is SQL integral NUMERIC column mapped as System.Decimal in a C# DataSet or DataAdater.?

Why is SQL integral numeric column (for example NUMERIC(3,0)) generated in C# (in DataSet as column type or in DataAdapter as parameter type) as type Decimal?

NUMERIC(3,0) can store integral values in range of -999 to 999. I think it should be in C# generated as type int or another integral one.

I think, this behavior is .NET or Visual Studio serious bug. How should I solve it, if I don't want rewrite generated code and I don't want to convert everywhere I use it between int and decimal? Thank you.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

20. Career/job with vs or microsoft? add it here

Just a thought , if you have any vacancy in any dept. you can show it here.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base