Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow Windows Phone 8 Development on non-SLAT processors

I'm sure there are many developers out there with "older" systems that are completely capable of running Windows 8 64-bit and Visual Studio 2012 but are not able to develop and test Windows Phone 8 applications because of Microsoft's choice to make the Windows Phone 8 emulator a Hyper-V virtual machine. There should be a mechanism to run the emulator using either VMware Player or VirtualBox which will use SLAT if it's present but will continue to work if it isn't or update Hyper-V to do the same.

I don't understand this choice as I am able to write applications…

644 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    34 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Developing Windows apps requires a Hyper-V compatible processor and edition of Windows to use a Windows Phone or other device emulator. You can also deploy and debug to a connected device.

You can see the system requirements for Visual Studio 2015 here: https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/visual-studio-2015-system-requirements-vs.aspx#1
    And the requirements for Hyper-V are available here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/virtualization/hyperv_on_windows/quick_start/walkthrough_compatibility

-Paul Chapman
    Visual Studio Program Manager

2. Keep WP7.1 and XNA/WP app development in Visual Studio 2013

In the first preview version of Visual Studio 2013 it's no longer possible to develop apps for WP7.1 or XNA WP apps (WP8 works fine). Please keep this platform supported in this new version of Visual Studio, thanks.

475 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    18 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

With each release of Visual Studio, we re-assess the feature set we offer.
    Visual Studio 2012 supports Windows Phone 7.x development, and offers a free Express edition.
    Visual Studio 2013 and Visual Studio 2015 support Windows Phone 8.x development, and offer free Community editions.
    Visual Studio 2015 supports Windows 10 Universal apps development, and offers a free Community edition. For more information, see https://www.visualstudio.com/vs-2015-product-editions.

-Paul Chapman

3. Add React Native support to VS2015.

Facebook have a React Native to build both iOS and Android, and could write javescript html 5 and css to have native application, This could compare to Cordova, A compiled to wrapper or native like Xamarin did.
    TypeScript already suport React, and will VS2015 support React Native also, like Tools for Cordova project.

92 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Visual studio 2017: Add support for Windows store 8.1 projects (Phone & Desktop).

Visual studio 2017: Add support for Windows store 8.1 projects (Phone & Desktop).

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. Visual Studio 2015 continues to be a productive developer environment for maintaining Windows 8.1 Store apps. Visual Studio 2017 installs cleanly side by side with Visual Studio 2015, allowing you to maintain your existing Windows 8.1 Store apps in Visual Studio 2015, and to use the latest tools when it comes time to migrate your apps forward to Windows 10.

-Paul Chapman

5. add support to debug javascript and native java (plugin code) at the same time in Visual Studio

I'm able to debug JavaScript in Cordova App created in vs2013 comunity + Cordova tools. Its great.

But now we have to debug a cordova plugin (sonme JavaScript and some Java native code), but the break point in Java code are ignored.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. C++ Cordova plugin without Java or Objective-C

Since Cordova.exec serialize the method name and its parameters, it would be awesome to be able to avoid calling a Java JNI (or Objective-C) wrapper to pass these parameters to some C++ code.
    I wrote an Android NativeActivity in C++ but Cordova always requires the java class instead of using directly the C++ NativeActivity.

I believe the same could be done for iOS, that is avoiding the ObjectiveC wrapper and invoke directly C++ code.

This would really ease the portability of business logic which would have poor performance using javascript.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Hybrid App support for JavaScript Universal Apps

In JavaScript Universal App project there should be a way to add a reference of Windows Runtime component to Shared JavaScript library project. This is a key feature of Hybrid Apps that is missing from existing Universal App Templates.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add support for Kindle Fire to Cordova Tools

Cordova already supports Kindle Fire just add this support to visual studio as well.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add Support for Razor in Cordova project

There is so much features that simplify html generation - layouts, sections, @helper, partials to name a few.
    The html can be generated statically during the build process, e.g. using technique that is offered in https://github.com/Antaris/RazorEngine

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Support augmenting the list of filename-ending exclusions

My project is stored in TFS, so I have a .jsproj.vspscc file. I am also using NuGet packages, so I have a packages.config file. Neither of these files belongs in my packaged app, but there is no exclusion for them. Rather than simply extend the current hard-coded list of exclusions, you shoud allow me to augment the list; e.g., by adding a certain property to my project file.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Make Windows Phone emulator available for Windows 10 Home.

Please, make the Windows Phone emulator available for Windows 10 Home users.

I recently bought Windows Home and I figured out later that is not possible emulate the device on it. So on, I'm using "Device" mode to debug but it seems not powerful like the emulators, I can't see for example the values on my variables while debugging. When I try I get "Internal error retrieving local value."

The question is, why this restriction? Why Microsoft limits the developers by requiring Windows Pro? I can't see any reason for that.

I need pay double to get Windows 10 Pro.…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback. Windows 10 Home is intended for the home user experience. For the best developer experience, we highly recommend you update to Windows 10 Professional (which provides additional capabilities such as remote desktop and domain/AAD support). Note that it’s also possible to deploy to and test your app directly from a physical device (regardless of the Windows 10 edition you’re using).

You can find the full system requirements for Hyper-V (and the Windows emulators) here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/virtualization/hyperv_on_windows/quick_start/walkthrough_compatibility.

For information on upgrading to Windows 10 Pro, see https://support.microsoft.com/help/12384/windows-10-upgrading-home-to-pro.

13. Add native local iOS compile and debug support for Cordova projects

Now that tools are available to load and compile Xcode projects, can we get this support extended to Cordova projects too? I would love to have one machine for coding, building, and debugging instead of having to set up both a Windows box and a Mac to create iOS apps using Cordova.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Make a clean build when submitting apps to the store

Please always perform a clean build when making app store packages of the app. Or at least provide such option.
    From my experience, this behavior should be at least opt-out if not mandatory.

Thanks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add support for BlackBerry10 to Multi-Device Hybrid Apps

BlackBerry10 WebWorks SDK is built on Cordova. It is relatively trivial to get the existing hybrid app framework to support BlackBerry10 as a target platform (my project builds) but additional integration for launching apps on the device and linking up with the web-inspector would be nice!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

For the time being, we’re decline this feature request due to lack of demand. However, it’s important to note that developers can still deploy to Blackberry using the Cordova command line tools. We’ve done a lot of work in the last six months to ensure inter-operability with the Cordova CLI and recently released the TACO CLI at http://taco.tools. You may use either of these command line tools to build and deploy to Blackberry devices.

Feedback and Knowledge Base