Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Buy Xamarin and incorporate Cross-Platform build tools

Buy Xamarin and make building cross platform apps on iOS, Android, Windows, etc super easy. Integrating is great, but you still have to buy the expensive licenses! This will make VS the ultimate cross platform IDE.

1,045 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    24 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Multi-Device Hybrid Apps with Visual Studio 2013 Express

Make Multi-Device Hybrid Apps available for Visual Studio 2013 Express Editions.

974 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Bring also Bower, Grunt love to Apache Cordova Apps

As in aspnet 5 web projects, it would be nice to have bower, grunt, npm working inside the apache cordova apps.

124 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add support for windows phone in tfspreview hosted builds

The hosted build controller in Team Foundation Server Preview should support building of Windows Phone application.

Currently it seems to fail because silverlight for Windows phone is not installed on the servers.

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Cordova for Windows 7

Multi-Device Hybrid Apps for Visual Studio CTP1 are only available in Windows 8.1 at the moment.
    My customers in several major enterprises are evaluating this development possibilities, but reflect that only Win 8.1 can host this Cordova Add-in.
    their Enterpirse Dev team still use Win7 and ask when it will relase for Win7?

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add support for Cordova Hooks

Using the Cordova command line you can create build hooks within the hooks folder. These hooks are node scripts that can be run during certain parts of the build.

Could probably be handled in a similar way to the merges special folder where its copied into the /bld folder before running the cordova build.

Can't find any documenation about this on the cordova site but here is the readme created with a new project.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/f4i7t4j17qgahvi/README.md?dl=0

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Update plugin support to use npm and Cordova CLI v5.0.0

Cordova CLI v5.0.0 has changed the way plugins are declared in the config.xml file and will be hosted under new IDs through npm. The existing plugin registry will be operational until at least October 15, 2015, so the Visual Studio extension needs to be updated to use this new repository.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. WP7 Integration for Testing and Building

WP7 is a great plattform for building apps but doing development more professional usages like unitt esting and continues integration is a pain.
    I'll expect to integrate the unit testing framework into the VS IDE, automatically launching the emulator or phone to run the test. This should also be integrated in the TFS Build system.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Make it free to learn Windows Phone 8

100$ is a lot for developers in 3rd world country like me. I have to think a lot of times before I even decide to buy Lumia 520, Lumia 920 is close to twice my monthly salary.

Microsoft is already lacking in developers, so why not make it easier for people to embrace the environment?

If you want to charge, charge when developer want to publish their app in Windows Store. For personal learning and debugging purpose, why the fee?

Simulator is great, by it's not the same.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

For individuals, students, academic organizations, and non-enterprises, you can get started with Windows app development for free by installing Visual Studio Community 2015. It includes a Windows Phone emulator that you can use to test and debug your app. See https://beta.visualstudio.com/vs/universal-windows-platform/ and https://developer.microsoft.com/windows/downloads.

We also have the DreamSpark program (https://www.dreamspark.com) and BizSpark programs to choose from (https://bizspark.microsoft.com/).

For information on obtaining a developer account when you’re ready to submit an app to the Windows Store, see https://developer.microsoft.com/store/register/faq.

-Paul Chapman
    Visual Studio Program Manager

10. Add support to use android emulators from GenyMotion

It would be nice to use the android emulators from GenyMotion. The AVD emulators are very slow.

Emulators from GenyMotion are fast and they already have support for other IDEs like eclipse. It would be nice to have support for Visual Studio as well.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion, Vivek!

First off, did you know that Visual Studio 2015 ships with its own fast, x86, Hyper-V based emulator? (see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2014/11/12/introducing-visual-studio-s-emulator-for-android.aspx) We highly recommend you check it out and try that option.

If you do need to use Genymotion, you can start the emulator, then use the “Device” option in the F5 dropdown. Thanks!

John Kemnetz
    Program Manager, Visual Studio

11. Multi-Device Hybrid Apps configuration improvements

Some settings are not available for ui however persist when included in config.xml manually.

But in the case of tag, for example, there is the attribute "launch-external" not available in ui. When manually added is subscribed by ui.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Make WinPhone8 JavaScript Debugging Work (set breakpoints and step) for HMTL5/JS/CSS apps (nothing else - no workers)

I can't figure this out, and nobody at Microsoft has been able to tell me either despite spending 250$ to not find out.

In VS2010 with Phone SDK 7 on Win 7 I was able to set breakpoints and debug javascript. It worked well and is absolutely necessary if you want to build cross platform code.

Now I migrated up to Win8 and javascript debugging doesn't work at all.

I has since given up on developing for WinPhone and will target the others because they have development environments that work.

What is going on MS?

Why can't we debug js,…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Cordova for Windows Server

Make Multi-Device Hybrid Apps for Visual Studio available for Windows Server editions (not just for 8.1)

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

You should be able to use VS 2013 CTP 2 or 3 with Windows Server — however, it’s not an officially supported scenario. In other words, everything should work, but we haven’t fully tested the extension in server environments. Now that VS 2015 Community Edition is available, I encourage you to try the RTM version there.

14. Create a new Push Notification Sample

The samples on github :(https://github.com/Azure/mobile-services-samples)
    is either using VS2013 or is not using Visual studio at all.

And the documentation on azure (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/mobile-services-javascript-backend-windows-universal-dotnet-get-started-push/)
    has all the platform except Cordova.

Can the team add a VS2015 version of the push notification sample with tutorial?

I believe this will help a lot of developers like me struggling to make push notification to work.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Visual Studio for Windows Phone must to have a Language Pack because it's a problem when you need to change the default language

It's so horrible this problem because I can't change the default language and I'm desperate

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Alternate language support for the Windows app tools is installed when you install a language pack for Visual Studio 2015. So, if you install Visual Studio in say, English, and you want to use the Tools for Windows Store or UWP app development in a different language, you just need to install the appropriate language pack.

16. provide a easy tool to makes windows phone apps in more quantity

all tools for making a windowsphone apps are just too hard to understand for newly user....so please make a easy tool or a feature for making windowsphone app....thankyou :)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Web Apps platform (HTML5 + JavaScript)

The current model of mobile apps downloadable from Store does not make sense for large percentage of apps in the store. It is absolutely fine for AAA apps, but there should be a better way for handling one-time use, location-specific or very simple applications.

For most of these scenarios HTML applications, developed as mobile friendly web sites hosted on external URLs with support for offline use / local data storage and optionally some way to access device platform APIs is a way to go for not-so distant future, IMHO.

Windows Store could still play a significant role to this model.…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

David, if I’m not mistaken Visual Studio is investing in exactly this scenario through four separate, but related tools that all use the Apache Cordova framework as a common implementation strategy. Each of these tools enables developers to build hybrid applications using HTML, CSS and JavaScript while still retaining access to native device APIs (e.g. camera, accelerometer) and full offline support. In all cases, the application can be deployed to iOS, Android and Windows.

1. Business analysts and information workers can use Project Sienna to create hybrid apps using a drag-and-drop visual design tool. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/projectsiena/default.aspx
    2. Enterprises that want to continue to deploy their web app to a server, but still enable end users to install it as a mobile application can use http://manifoldjs.com/ to create hosted apps.
    3. Visual Studio developers can use the Tools for Apache Cordova to create highly customized hybrid applications leveraging a huge ecosystem…

18. add information that includes how to test on all platforms.

if you added information on how to run this sample on each device that is supposed to be supported and links to information on the things needed to set them up, it would be an actual usuable example. Instead of this half assed one.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Your website needs to be more search orientated like NPM and mobile friendly.

Dear website makers of https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/VSCode.
    One of the marketplace's key objectives is to be searchable and allow discovery. The small button on the top right is a 30x30 (approx) icon of a magnifying glass does not achieve this. I spent a considerable amount of time looking for this as I'm running this browser in a < 1264px width resolution (sideways monitor). Please make this site MOBILE FRIENDLY as well as make the search bar the first thing you see from the top of the page.

Look at https://www.npmjs.com/ website for reference.

I hope you will enact this desire.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. why can't we add multiple css and JS files like 50 in number in Corodva app

Just facing this critical problem when working on Cordova app development using visual studio 2015. I'm using third party libraries in my project with bower.
    I must admit adding bower was really great in #VS2015

Question1: Build is seriously failing when adding other files in solution. can we know why is this .

Question2; unable to load polymer functions in cordova project

ref: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32014483/unable-to-build-app-for-android-platform-due-to-multiple-js-and-css-files

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base