Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support capturing traffic from .Net HttpClient and WebClient API in VS 2015 Network Panel

Capturing Network traffic is really nice idea. But currently it supports only WinRT HttpClient APIs. For ASP.NET & WPF dev this's not at all useful :(

Please add support for capturing traffic from .Net HttpClient and WebClient API as well.

Thanks.

79 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Browser Link Support for Content Security Policy (CSP) HTTP Headers

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351375/browser-link-support-for-content-security-policy-c.html
    Currently Browser Link uses inline JavaScript which causes Content Security Policy (CSP) (See https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Security/CSP/Introducing_Content_Security_Policy) violation errors. CSP requires external files to be used for JavaScript and CSS.

If the user is using CSP then browser link is disabled as inline scripts cannot be run. Please use external files, which will allow us to use CSP in conjunction with Browser Link.

This is the error that Chrome throws:

Refused to load the script 'http://localhost:40323/7ccba4ec32eb40b093fe065c6ca53fbf/browserLink'; because it violates the following Content Security…

75 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Custom Debugger-Visualizer for .Net Core Apps in VS2017

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351618/custom-debugger-visualizer-for-net-core-apps-in-vs.html
    It has no this feature for .NET Core now, could you add this feature later?

67 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Show Constant Value Tooltips When Not Debugging

While NOT debugging, it'd be great if we the tooltips for constants which show their type also actually showed the value of the constant.

This value should be known due to incremental compilation and could be displayed just like it is while you're debugging.

It's just really annoying to have to F12 all the time in a constant heavy environment and then jump back to the location after seeing what the value is.

Thanks!

65 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Time Travel Debugging

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351585/time-travel-debugging.html
    Please, add TTD feature to C++ and C# debuggers

65 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add filter for Application Insights debug events in output window

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351540/add-filter-for-application-insights-debug-events-i.html
    Application Insights can log a huge amount of debug events to the output window if your running in debug.
    While this might be useful sometimes, I mostly think it clutters up the output window, and "hides" debug events of interests.

I can disable the debug logging from Application insights, by using the following configuration:
    TelemetryDebugWriter.IsTracingDisabled = true;

This stops logging of the events to the output window, but it also prevents Visual Studio from collecting any Application Insights telemetry!

It would be nice,…

63 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow viewing async tasks in ASP.NET applications

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351418/allow-viewing-async-tasks-in-aspnet-applications.html
    Currently, it doesn't seem possible to get a view of async tasks in the Tasks window when debugging an ASP.NET application. It seems that asynchronous (async/await) coding is being pushed by Microsoft and is becoming a generally accepted Good Thing for web applications in many languages, but debugging asynchronous applications with no visibility of outstanding or current tasks is very difficult.

The Tasks debugging window only seems to work in a very simple scenario: when running an application (such as a console app)…

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for using Visual Studio and for your commitment to improving it. We are currently evaluating whether we will be able to provide the ability to show outstanding tasks in the Tasks window after attaching to a running application as suggested. We will be providing an update soon.

8. Allow Excel export for Diagnostic Tools Events

Allow Excel export by Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V or some other method. Would be extremely useful for further analysis and readability.

56 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Stop stealing focus when a breakpoint trips.

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351514/stop-stealing-focus-when-a-breakpoint-trips.html
    Just blink the icon on the app bar when VS trips a breakpoint and VS isn't the app with focus. Don't just take focus and start processing the keyboard events meant for the app I am in at the time. Don't checkout the source file. Don't start intellisense. Don't start edit&continue debug. I'll get to VS when I see the blinking icon in the app bar in my own good time. How hard can this be? Other apps do it. And VS does…

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Sourcelink should enable Go to Implementation

Visual studio should support 'Go to implementation' for library code that is exposed with SourceLink.

We recently began using SourceLink in our .NETcore library in an attempt to debug the library while consuming it. We enabled SourceLink and it has worked great in that I are now able to step into the library code with the debugger, but I am unable to jump to implementation/definition of any of this library code. Is there a way I can get visual studio to do this already? If not this should be a feature.

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Watch window member specifier for arrays

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351529/watch-window-member-specifier-for-arrays.html
    When watching an array pointer with size specifier, also add the ability to specify a class/struct member to watch. Example:

ptrToArrayOFooPtrs, 4, m_FooMemberVar

This would display like:
    [0] m_FooMemberVar=value
    [1] m_FooMemberVar=value
    [2] m_FooMemberVar=value
    [3] m_FooMemberVar=value

This allows you to quickly inspect a variable on every object in the array.

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add 'Start without Debugging' to Right-Click Project Menu

Sometimes I need to launch a couple of my other projects first before my default startup project. However, if I use the right-click the project in Solution Explorer and go to Debug -> Start new Instance it launches the VS Debugger, so I have to detach from the process and then launch the next part before I can finally just use F5 or Ctrl+F5 to launch my main project with or without debugging.

It'd be great of the context menu for the project's Debug menu had a 'Start without Debugging' option as well to just launch the project process without…

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add horizontal scrolling in "Timeline details" pane of Application Timeline tool

There needs to be a way to scroll horizontally in the "Timeline details" pane of the Application Timeline tool. When the logical tree is very deep, and the monitor size/resolution is limited (such as when remote desktopping on a laptop) it becomes impossible to see the names of the elements in the expanded logical tree of the Layout event.

As a current workaround to this limitation, one can hobble through "blindly" and expand the tree using the arrow keys, while simultaneously looking at the complete logical tree in another tool, such as Snoop, and correlating it back to what is…

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Support multiple "Start Debugging" toolbar buttons that launch the app with different command line parameters

When developing a Windows console application (in either C# or C++), my team and I frequently have to test the application with 2 or 3 different sets of command line parameters. It is very annoying to have to go to the properties window and change the command line parameters for debugging (usually it involves copying a long string from somewhere) and then clicking "Start Debugging". It would be much more efficient to associate a particular command line with a button on the taskbar and then have multiple buttons to click. This would rapidly speed up development for us.

Macros would…

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Unwind the call stack on unhandled exception

The option "Unwind the call stack on unhandled exception" was removed in Visual Studio 2017. This unfortunately means, that an important scenario is broken: Edit and continue after an unhandled exception!

The issue is described in detail here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/43126140/continue-after-an-unhandled-exception-in-visual-studio-2017

TL;DR: If you want to salvage a running program after an exception you're out of luck in the latest product version.

Please restore this option.

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Debugger should support generic authentication with SourceLink

VS Debugger now supports Authenticated Source Link for VSTS and GitHub starting in 15.7 (https://goo.gl/iNAvgW). That is a great start. My team has our .NET source code in GitHub Enterprise. This issue is for support is to support other private source code repositories in a generic (or extensible) way. I know other need GitLab support and I'm sure there are a bunch more.

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 3rd party class visualization (or function calls from debugger)

Our company is working on a modeling software. The project uses a lot of 3rd party modules where the class content is hidden. Very similar how MFC'c GDI objects (e.g. CBitmap) are implemented. We do not see any member variables, however we can use static methods to work with the objects.

To debug such project is a pretty big pain, because all we see in the debugger is a void pointer address. To get more information about the objects we have to write temporary lines to the code to save the object's content to a LOG file. This approach is…

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Prevent IIS Express from taking over as the launch settings default in .NET Core projects in VS 2017

While debugging ASP.NET Core apps in VS 2017, IIS Express is added as the default in the launch configuration window, backed by `Properties/launchSettings.json`.

If this is changed, or if the settings are removed - either from the UI, or by modifying the file, on the next launch of VS, these settings have been returned, and IIS Express set to the default again.

The issue is compounded when you have a multi-startup solution. In my current case, I have a micro-services solutions with 8 startup projects, with more to follow.

It's getting harder and harder to use VS as the primary…

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Show the Values of SQL Parameters in Intellitrace

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351353/show-the-values-of-sql-parameters-in-intellitrace.html
    It's nice that Intellitrace shows the parameters (@1,@2) of SQL calls, but I really need to know the values of those parameters for debugging.

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your suggestion!

We’ve marked this in our backlog and we will wait to see the community’s interest in this as well.

We’ll keep you updated as the status changes!

Thank you again for taking the time to provide us feedback!
    Maria Ghiondea
    Visual Studio Diagnostics

20. Better debugging of object initializer blocks

Object initializer blocks allow you to assign property values at construction despite the constructor not accepting the values to assign. This is useful for thread safety because the object is assigned a pre-built instance in an atomic operation. In addition is the only way to initialize an anonymous type. But debugging object initializers are cumbersome at best, impossible at worse. Take, for example, the following code (also attached as bitmap showing line numbers):
    var book = new
    {
    Isbn = isbn,
    Title = service.GetTitle(isbn),
    Author = service.GetAuthor(isbn),
    Edition = service.GetEdition(isbn),
    PublicationDate = service.GetPublicationDte(isbn),
    Copyright = service.GetCopyright(isbn),
    Publisher = service.GetPublisher(isbn),
    PageCount…

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base