Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Let "Always Load Automatically" in the modules view do "Load Symbols" automatically

I have never ever _not_ clicked "Load Symbols" after clicking "Always Load Automatically", so "Always Load Automatically" should automatically load the symbols straight away instead of waiting for the next debugger invocation.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Snapshots of 'locals' window variable values

Maybe have the locals window be able to save a snapshot of locals values when I continue from a braeakpoint, then compare them to other snapshots of locals values from the same breakpoint, but stopped at a different time

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Not autoswitch program windows when debugging

When debugging and hitting a breakpoint, Visual Studio “yanks” me away from whatever I was doing and I end up typing something into a code file because I was in the middle of an authoring an email or something . Visual Studio should just “blink” the taskbar tray like all other programs and let the user decide if they are ready to return to Visual Studio

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Razorviewcompile all views so you can see the errors in the error list

I might have missed this completely but it seems as the only way I can get the razor view errors is to open the view-file and wait a while (couple of seconds). And it doesn't always work. I have worked for four days trying to upgrade everything from netcoreapp1.x to dotnetcore 2.1.0-preview1 and efcore (same version leap) and with a large web project this is a nightmare. So it would be nice to do a razorviewcompile or similar to get VS to compile all view and show the errors from all views in the project.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Record CPU Profile button not descriptive enough

The button used to record CPU profiling in the Diagnostic Tools window is too ambiguous regarding what stat it currently is in and what the button does.

When activated it shows as "Record CPU Profile" which could be interpreted as not currently active. Only by hovering do you know that the button actually disables the profiling.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Offer option to turn all C++ source file READ ONLY when debugging

This would prevent those numerous Ctrl-Z when inadvertently pressing a wrong key while debugging. This could also help people with a disability that prevents them from having a perfect control of their hands.
    Thanks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Set a breakpoint in the source file I am in when I set a breakpoint.

We have a very large app. With thousands of files and hundreds of project. It is quite hard to ensure every source file has a unique name. I open a file named "logging.cpp" in a project I have opened and I set a breakpoint there and run. Every source file that is named "logging.cpp" that has code called ends up with breakpoints in it. Some in invalid places as the line numbers are not always valid executable lines. Meanwhile, back in my file in the project I am in where I set the breakpoint, no red dot shows up as…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Unused parameter in a method will have a 70% transparent text color for helpfulness

If I have a method Foo(int bar, int baz, int bazbar)

and I didn't use baz, the baz in the parameter should have a different color but the code will compile. thanks

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Make the Profiler in Visual Studio be more productive with reference variable names

I guess for more than a decade, Java has had profilers and VM support for the variable names of referencing var iables/field names to be visible so that in complex objects with multiple of the same type of references, the actual instance refeirence could be identified

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow edit and continue local method

Local methods are great until you start debugging as edit and continue is not supported, please add support

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Set automatic breakpoint

The issue is that e.g. my program is running and I can perform different actions in it (e.g. delete item) but I don't know what is the first function that will be executed in my project. So I need to guess and find the function first, what can be a lot of wasted time in some huge project.

It would be nice that after I perform some action in my program (e.g. delete item) it would automatically hit the "virtual" breakpoint inside the first executed function in my project.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Ability to track/debug memory leak, access violation and segmentation errors in C++

Currently to track or debug memory leaks, access violations and segmentation errors in C++ it is not possible, however third party tools from Intel and other vendors can, but they are clunky.

Microsoft has the technology to provide this in Visual Studio and should look at adding it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add Ctr-F find to the text debug inspector

The text debug inspector is great for looking into strings or log in memory, what would make it assume is if the Ctrl-F quick find function worked in it, so for big bits of text we could skip to keywords etc.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Toggle just-my-code for selections made either in solution explorer or highlighted in the text editor.

In my normal development cycle I generally like to run/debug with just-my-code switched on, so as to avoid lots of false positives.
    When I'm trying to nail a hard bug, though, I think it would be useful to be able to highlight a section of code in the text editor, or a selection of files in solution explorer and disable (or toggle) just-my-code for just that selection, as it's often the case that I have a good idea which area of code is at fault.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. allow breakpoint on method signature

Previous versions of Visual Studio (up to 2013) allowed me, when not running, to set a breakpoint at the method signature line of a C# method. At debug time, these breakpoints would shift to the open brace. Upon resuming non-debug mode, these breakpoints would shift back to their original location (on the method signature line).

In Visual Studio 2015, when I try this, the breakpoint jumps to the line containing the open brace even when I'm in non-debug mode. This is inconvenient. When debugging an entire class, I often put a breakpoint at every method. This used to be easy…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. allow the solution explorer folders to be refreshed during debugging

You used to be able to refresh folders in the solution explorer during debugging by right-clicking and hitting refresh. Now that is disabled. I have some temp data folders created by my site and I like to be able to see what's in them during debugging. I can effectively do this by hiding and re-showing all files, but then I lose my place.

I don't see why refresh has to be disabled.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. tweak to process memory graph

Please continue provide out to the MB precision in the process memory graph for process memory use greater than 1GB - right now if your application uses 953 MB, it reports 953 MB... but the instant your program uses 1GB or more, it suddenly decides to label the used memory as simply "1GB", and you cannot see 1MB increments. So, if my program even has a massive memory leak, say, leaking even 1 MB a minute, I cannot see it at all on that graph (if my application's overall memory use is greater than a GB). Thanks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Give Instruction on How to Handle This Error Message

An error occurred while signing: Failed to sign bin\Debug\app.publish\CORR.exe. SignTool Error: No certificates were found that met all the given criteria. Moving a project from one computer to another sets off this obtuse message. One "solution" is to change Properties so that signing (that defaults to "ON") is turned off. Reference to Microsoft's explanation in concise, technical English would be nice. What does it mean to sign a project? How do I create a certificate? How does it benefit me or my users to attach a certificate to a project? I set no criteria. Yet the IDE complains that something…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base