Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support debugging of functions included from other files in HLSL code

For example:

--- LightingUtils.hlsli ---
    float4 ComputeLighting(...) { ... }

--- PixelShader.hlsl ---
    float4 directLight = ComputeLighting(...); // Making a breakpoint here, it would be possible to step into the ComputeLighting function and debug it

Also, the Graphics Diagnostics tools cannot find the HLSL source file, when the shader includes other files. I guess that this happens because the compiler generates an intermediate file which has a different name from the original.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Show offsets in debug hover

When showing a large class in C++, it's often convenient for me to see offsets of each field. WinDbg does similar in inspection:

0:000:x86> ?? slots
    struct Js::ScopeSlots
    =0f6e7650 MaxEncodedSlotCount : 0xffff
    +0x000 slotArray : 0x09b40340 -> 0x09740980 Void

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. With each breakpoint, I should be able to maintain some notes... frequently, I need to save some pointers or values. For lazy people entire

With each breakpoint, I should be able to maintain some notes...

frequently, I need to save some pointers or values.
    For lazy people entire state of Auto/Local window should be saved.
    These windows could have icons to save the current states.
    State of the Auto/Local-window, I mean the variables and their values.

These notes should be arranged by the visits..
    Anytime during the debug i should be able to access the notes via
    the breakpoints hierarchy.
    The Notes can themselves be arranged by debug-sessions.

I, this will be great help to all developers..
    Thanks,
    Jyoti Swarup

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. keyboard shortcuts for going up and down the stack

It would be really convenient to have keyboard shortcuts for going up and down the stack, so we won't need to click every time in the Callstack window - which is kind of interrupting the train of thoughts, when the dev is in the debugging "zone", not to mention that some people are just heavy keyboard users.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Command line arguments: Helpers to managed text

Helpers to managed command line arguments. eg: for JSON command line, have JSON key/value pairs maintained in a listview control on the debug page. There is a huge amount of unused screen real-estate on the debug page.

Allow users to create there own custom helpers

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. View texture and sampler descriptors in shader disassembly debugger

When debugging a shader in disassembly view, we appear to be missing the ability to view a few things that would make it fully functional.
    There doesn't appear to be any way to inspect the texture or sampler objects in disassembly view.
    For example, I'm trying to debug a shader that produces an unexpected value from sampling a texture at a specific location.
    I can see the texture and all the other relevant state for the dispatch looks fine in the main graphics analyzer view but when stepping the debugging of a specific thread, I see an unexpected result for…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add "copy memory block to file" as a debugger function

When stopped at a breakpoint, it would be convenient to be able to write a block of memory to a file; the equivalent of fopen, fwrite, fclose, where user specifies the starting address, number of bytes, and possibly the filename. There doesn't seem to be any way to accomplish this now, other than copy-and-paste from the Memory window, which is only practical for small blocks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add "Use as remote machine" option in TDP VM Devices menu

Instead of navigating to Solution properties and pasting an IP into "Machine Name" field, let us right click on a VM in TDP Devices and set that machine as the remote machine target when debugging.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Pin Datatip according to current page

While debugging, I miss the pin datatip according to current page.
    Right now in 2017 version, if I pin data tip on class A, second one in class B, and third one in class C. While debugging all the pin data tips are shown, regardless of which class I am in which is annoying to see all of it when I don't need to see.
    In previous version, it only shows the current pin of current page I am on.

I would prefer the earlier functionality for this.
    Thanks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Memory View - Save data to file

I need to save memory regions under debugger to file for future use.

1. save selected region in Memory View to file
    2. select range - address and size and save to file
    3. save module memory from Modules View to file

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Actually allow people to submit bug reports from the Visual Studio website instead of saying "you are not authorized"?!

Actually allow people to submit bug reports from the Visual Studio website instead of saying "You are not authorized to submit the feedback for this connection" (whatever that means).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Automatic resizing of columns in the Autos panel/window

I keep double clicking on the horizontal line in-between the Name and Value columns so that the former is resized to fit the longest name. It does not do anything today.
    Same thing for the Value column.
    Is there a design decision behind this lack of very common and expected behaviour?

Thank you.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. How to download software updates without having to reinstall them??

How to download software updates without having to reinstall them

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. make it possible for the profiler in VS 2015 survive across a hibernate/sleep event.

I sometimes need to close my laptop and go somewhere else to continue working on a profiling session. Why can't VS survive the hibernate/sleep event and keep going when I get back to it?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Start remembering debugger settings across versions

Every version of VS brings the same issue - it blocks editing code while debugging via a modal dialog. Modals are personal preference (I hate them), but it's extremely frustrating that for the last 3-4 versions I have my MS account tied to the installation, yet every time I have to go in and figure out where you put the setting for editing while debugging and go fix it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Capture screen video during a diagnostics session

This would make correlation with UI interactions much easier

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Break on first thread to encounter error

A lot of the time when debugging a multi-threaded application I'll set a breakpoint/multiple breakpoints, wait for one to hit and then I'll have to set every breakpoint to be applicable to only that thread ID, as it is super jarring to have to jump back and forth between different threads as you step through code. I very rarely, if ever, *actually* want to jump between different threads while debugging (in fact I struggle to think of a use-case where I'd want to jump between different threads). This causes me to lose my focus on what variable's value is causing…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Better invalid asignment message in debug with the actual variable name being asigned to

When doing an assignment such as A=B where B is from a dynamic object, the exception message is similar to 'cannot assign string to int'. This needs to also include the variable name such as 'Cannot assign string to int variable 'A''

This happens when using NPOCO or other SQL to object mapping tool where the SQL query result is returned as a dynamic and used in an object initializer block where any one of the multiple values being assigned could have an incompatible type

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base