Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add a "module" column to the Breakpoints window

I have an exe and a dll, both of which contain a function of the same name. If I set a breakpoint on that name I get two rows in the breakpoint window, but it's not easy to see which is in the dll, and which is in the exe.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. breakpoint condition callstack

I would love it if you could put conditions on breakpoints so that you can add certain functions being in the call stack as a conditional. I.e. if you have a breakpoint in Body::AddForce you could set that breakpoint to only break if it had been called from Player::Update before hand.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow using statements to be applied to the watch window

If the current execution context at a breakpoint doesn't have a namespace referenced with a using statement, I have to manually type out the fully qualified name of any types I want to use there. There ought to be an option to somehow add a using statement to the watch window so the namespaces I want remain in scope.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add a tool to find "divergence points"

Add a tool that allows one to hit a breakpoint and modify a value, and then run the modified value in parallel with the original value until the two runs are no longer executing the same code, at which point a breakpoint is triggered on that location.

This would make it trivial to debug a lot of situations where seemingly equivalent data is not producing equivalent output.

I'd call it the "Split" or "Clone" tool.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Disable DOM Explorer Automatic Highlighting

When you're debugging a web based project and are in the DOM explorer of IE/edge and you highlight an element to see its properties visual studio will automatically go to and highlight that element in the source code.

The customer wants to disable this feature in Visual Studio 2015.
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/c32a1903-5abc-467c-b37a-117323f4952d/dom-explorer-automatic-highlighting?forum=vsdebug

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. the installation is very slow

the installation is very slow

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Exception dialog should be smarter to show LoaderException property of ReflectionTypeLoadException

VS2017 features a new exception dialog, which automatically displays inner exception information. However, certain exception types such as ReflectionTypeLoadException does not store useful information in inner exception, but in its LoaderException property. Hope the dialog can be extended to allow expanding such properties automatically.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow multi-selection of memory snapshots

Allow multi-selection of memory snapshots in order to easily allow for multiple deletions of unwanted memory snapshots.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Option to generate code map step by step while debugging

I think it would be much easier to understand new project, to visually see whats happening starting from some break point.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. auto+dynamic diagnostic about dynamic cpu bound, memory bound

It would be neat to have an automatic/dynamic diagnostic telling me {where, when, (how)} I am {memory bound, cpu bound, interop bound / communication bound} in my app, so I can work on improving performance.

Depending on where and how often I use parts of the app, I might also know benefits/cost ratio, to improve these parts.

With increasing need for calculation speed (images, video, VR, bigdatabases), it might be more and more useful.

It might be implemented quicker on pure c# apps, but we often have c#/native apps.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Visual Studio should have a "reload symbols" option similar to WinDbg

VS picked up the wrong symbol file for one of my modules and I don't see a way to get it to reload a different PDB. WinDbg supported this.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Intellisense filtering by shortcut

What's about shortcut filtering of entries provided by the IDE?
    For example:
    pressing * could show only all functions
    | all properties
    ~ All methods.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. in the new exception dialog conditions can we have a drop-down on modules

New dialog is very cool. Module conditions great. Just want a dropdown of what makes sense so I don't have to type and spell

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Break on Exception in ASP.Net should break once, not 5+ times.

I like to run debugging with all CLR Exceptions checked to break. However, in ASP.Net, it's all but unusable, as every exception breaks over and over again as every point in the stack has to break. Normal Windows apps break once, maybe twice, but in ASP.Net, it can be 5+ times!!! And it's often InvalidOp, so when I uncheck it to maintain sanity, I end up screwing up my debug session, as I start losing the exception I was after. Anything that pops up REALLY needs to have a cap as to how many times it does so in a…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Prevent Decompiling

Prevent decompiling .exe to project

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Exception View Detail should use Quick Watch

An exception has occurred, the debugger breaks and the modal dialog comes-up. View Detail... brings up a crude dialog instead of Quick Watch. I can't expand the AggregateException's InnerExceptions items to get their details.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. [Enable Just My Code] shortcut/button

9 times out of 10 I go to Menu/Tools/Options only because of the toggle Debugging/General/Enable Just My Code. In Asp.NET it is quite commont to want both and switch often.

It would be sooooo much handy to have this switch as a button availabe e.g. on the Exception Settings dock window or somewhere near the "debugging gui".

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Support JavaScript in the debugger autos window

The autos window in the debugger is always empty when debugging JavaScript from Visual Studio. It would be great if it showed some relevant items.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Gracefully handle mismatched msvsmon (remote debugging tools) version

Mismatched major versions (VS 2015, VS 2017, etc.) of msvsmon (remote debugging tools) running on a deployment or debug-target machine and the version of Visual Studio connecting and attaching as the debugger don't work entirely. Slightly mismatched (minor version differences) between the two will often work, but intermittently crash.

This is a major pain point for our entire development team for a number of reasons.
    A. Finding and installing the proper version of debugging tools on the client machine is unnecessarily time consuming. Most of our team isn't even aware of these versioning issues but is affected by crashes during…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. More discoverability for return values in Locals/Autos

I know this is a very small thing, but the discoverability of the return value feature is bad. You have to know where and how to look for it and you really can't stumble upon it.

People do step back out of methods though. So I think the fix is merely this...

Instead of saying

" class.method returned"

say

"RETURNED: class.method

An eyecactihng icon might work, but I think this would be simpler and more effective

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base