Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support for Mutation Testing Tool (VS Integrated) for VS2017

Mutation Testing Tools like VisualMutator was extremely useful in analyzing the coverage of Unit Tests. However, it looks like VisualMutator is not supported in VS2017. This would be a great feature to have.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 'Data breakpoint' popup window non-blocking

Make the 'Data breakpoint' popup window non-blocking to allow copy of a variable's name

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Diagnostic Tools option to keep latest data instead of stopping collection when limit is reached

Having a data collection limit is useful, but quite often I need to diagnose the last 60s of usage, not the first. Once the limit is reached, there is currently no option but to restart the APP.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Provide a console window when running unit tests

I would like to see Console-Output of the code I run when debugging unit-tests in an actual console-window and not just as plain text (which I can see by clicking the "output" link after the test was run).

That's because my console-output is color coded as well and it really helps to see important facts while debugging.

The console could even stay open all the time and be visible even if I run all the other tests. It would help a lot.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Saving multiple sets of breakpoints as different profiles

Is there an inbuilt feature in Visual Studio 2017 to save multiple sets of breakpoints in different profiles which can be switched easily.

UseCase: In large projects, it is sometimes required to focus only on one set of flow-1, then switch back to another set of flow-2 where each flow has its own set of breakpoints and you don't want to get flow-1's breakpoints to hit.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Please add a ignore step in the debugger, so we can bypass a line while debugging. Also add a way to select code to ignore during debugging.

We often run into a bug when debugging and its awkward to select the current execution point and drag it down each time. Having an additional function key to move to the next line without executing the current line would be useful. If the current line is a conditional, it should move to the next line in the execution sequence.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Enable native debugging by default

I have lost count of the number of times I have patiently stepped through my code to get to the interesting part just to be told that native debugging is not currently enabled. Can I jsut enable it once, forever, please. I sort of understand why it can be switched off but I have never wanted it off.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Queue build upon saving a build definition

Give the option to queue a new build upon saving a build definition. This ensures that people think about retesting their build definition after performing changes (we had the situation where someone update a CI build which is not used on a daily basis, all of a sudden we had build issues, where we spend a while in analyzing the latest change set before coming to the point of going through the build definition changes...)

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Debugging .NET Finalize without Dispose

Catching a (C#) finalize without dispose is easy to do in code. Our classes are hardened to do this. HOWEVER, the "why did this happen" is very difficult. It may be difficult for the GC to provide VS with the hooks necessary to constantly monitor this for all objects. (Probably way too much GC overhead.) However it could prove "doable" for the GC to track one (more?) SPECIFIC objects and then do "something" to help the developer figure out were the last release occurred.

Another thought might be to temporarily put an attribute or interface on a class declaration which…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. runtime, 'go to define' can determine the implementation class

runtime, 'go to define' can determine the implementation class

interface ISome
    {
    void Test();
    }

class MyClass1: ISome
    {
    public void Test()
    {
    Console.Write("MyClass1");
    }
    }

class MyClass2 : ISome
    {
    public void Test()
    {
    Console.Write("MyClass2");
    }
    }

class Test
    {
    public void Run()
    {
    ISome a = new MyClass1();
    ISome b = new MyClass2();
    //while runtime and break at here
    a.Test();//i want press 'F12' go to the define line of 'MyClass1.Test' not ISome
    b.Test();//i want press 'F12' go to the define line of 'MyClass2.Test' not ISome
    }
    }

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. User friendly names for Make Object ID

When we use Make Object ID feature from debugging it gives names like $1 $2. I think it might be a better if we can give some labels like $lastRecord, $importantObject etc.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Toggle breakpoint for class (toggle breakpoints for all methods - including property accessors)

When debugging (esp. unknown code) sometimes you want to set breakpoints at every method (including property accessors I guess) of a class and run it to follow its execution mentally (you then just hit each breakpoint, inspect a bit and continue). That is without doing a step-by-step which is more complex steps.

I'd like to be able to click on the gutter at the line with the class name and toggle breakpoints for each method/property accessor. Please place the breakpoints for such at the line of each method name, not at the { symbol so that one can collapse all…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Debugging Exceptions without explicit exception variables

In VS 2015 (and earlier) if you were debugging and stepping through a try-catch you could get exception information from the debugger with this:

try
    {
    ... exception thrown
    }
    catch (Exception)
    {
    }

The Exception Dialog was available on the catch statement. But now you have be verbose and specify it like:

catch (Exception ex)
    {
    }

But we don't always need to do anything with ex so sometimes it never gets used and we get the green underline from Visual Studio.

Example:

MailMessage m = new MailMessage();
    try{
    m.To.Add("test@test");
    }
    catch(FormatException)
    {
    //Alert user about an invalid email…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Provide return values in callstack breakpoints

If you single step out of a method, you get the value returned from the method. VERY COOL many smiley faces.

However, I would expect that if I set a callstack breakpoint, and it looks like I am returning to the same location, that the same value would be displayed.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. live code analysis

Live Code Analysis would be fine. One of the newest Features of Visual Studio 2017 is "Live Unit Tests". I would like to have the same Feature for Code Analysis (fxCop). Live Code Analysis checks the active document and visualize warnings etc directly beside the Icons for live unit testing.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. View the actual type of a generic type parameter in the debugger

When I hover over a generic type in Visual Studio (C#) using the debugger, I don't get the current type. Please open a tooltip displaying the actual type name.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Diagnostic Tools

Diagnostic Tools: great tool! So much easier then UMDH!
    I really miss a lot the fact of being able to save a complete session, with everything in it, including call stack. The user could have an option to save in the proprietary format of in text. This later could be searched easily. That would really big plus for me.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Simultaneous Debug and Compile

I'd love to see visual studio launch its debugger against a startup project BEFORE it fires off "msbuild" to compile all solution/project changes.

That way the startup project could begin any necessary bootstrapping work, load most modules, attach the debugger, load most symbols into the debugger and so on. (The startup project would then need to accept a keystroke from the user before proceeding. ) All this stuff can easily take 5 seconds, even in a custom written harness for unit testing. It would be nice if this work was already well underway by the time "msbuild" finished the compiling…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Graphics Debugger Clipping Analysis

The graphics debugger is an incredible resource for dealing with DirectX. It would be extremely useful if it could report on why output from the Vertex Shader stage is being discarded before going into the Pixel Shader. Perhaps selecting a given output row under the Vertex Shader portion of the Pipeline Stages display and having some kind of report "discarded because...". It's very frustrating to have seemingly disabled all forms of clipping, and checked everything else one can think of that might block vertices from flowing from the VS to the PS, only to still have the Graphics Debugger show…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Visual Studio Debugger get System time

A customer want to get System time or change System time with Debugger. Detailed discussion, please refer to following thread.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/3f11e8ab-9aff-4d58-8b42-7884f4b6ea71/change-system-time-for-debugged-application?forum=vsdebug

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 22 23 24 26 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base