Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Set COMPLUS_FORCEENC to 1 for any process launched using "Start without debuggging"

I assume that the fact that you spent time on engineering the 'Edit and continue on attach' feature announced here:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudioalm/2015/04/29/net-enc-support-for-lambdas-and-other-improvements-in-visual-studio-2015/

means that you recognise that there are circumstances where developers don't want to launch their process under the debugger even when they are planning to use it later. This is great; so thanks! Unfortunately it's a little bit awkward to use at the minute but I think this could be addressed with a minor improvement in Visual Studio...

The ideal thing would be to simply make sure that COMPLUS_FORCEENC=1 is added to the environment of any process launched using…

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Display variable values inline while debugging

It would be great if variable values would be displayed right next to the code while debugging and stepping through the code.

Chrome dev tools recently added this feature, see how it works here: http://imgur.com/JxbZm1W

It saves lots of time as you don't need to hover over variables or add them to watch to see their values.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Don't save performance passes (.psess) in solution file (.sln).

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351419/dont-save-performance-passes-psess-in-solution-fil.html
    There are some stuff that gets changed in the solution file if you've done a profiling session (memory or performance, doesn't matter). This is very annoying when using version control.

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. option to enable std debug ("Just my code" off?)

João Vitor Wed, Dec 3 2014 11:39 PM

Paranoid people should have a option to enable std debug ("Just my code" off?).

I think Visual Studio should not debug std by default, it just gets in the way of debugging your logic.

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Add support to watch and evaluate transparent proxy objects during debugging

Currently, if we watch a transparent proxy, the object visualizer shows the transparent proxy members and we need to dig deep to reach the original object.

Also, the transparent proxy object cannot be evaluated in watch expressions.

Please add support so debugging codes involving the transparent proxies would be much easier.

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Cyclomatic Complexity in Code Metrics is calculated based on IL

Calculation of Cyclomatic Complexity (at least and possibly other metrics) is based on compiler-generated IL. To calculate code metrics at the IL level just seems wrong. Code metrics are meant to assist developers in creating better code – not worrying about how it is compiled – which is nothing more than an implementation detail we shouldn’t be concerned with. I would argue that this is a bug in Roslyn/VS by calculating at the IL level.

I know that this metric is calculated differently by NDepend and ReSharper which is very confusing when this is supposed to be an industry-wide standard…

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Save and Load set of selected exceptions

When debugging several applications I find myself often to enable breaking on a specific set of exceptions in one application and another set of exceptions in another application. Since this is a rather work-intensive process it would be nice to save and load those selected exceptions.
    Another helpful addition would be to support the <F3> key as an alternative to the "Find Next" button.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. New debugging feature: debug shunts

I sometimes find myself running code in a testing configuration where certain parts of the code can't be run, or certain variables need values assigned. Currently, I set a breakpoint at the start of the code that needs to be skipped, or at the point where variables need to be set up, and then I use 'Set Next Statement' and assignments in the Watch pane to set things up.

This works fine, except that if I need to do multiple test runs, I have to repeat these steps *every single time*. For that reason, I'd like to propose a new…

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. A simple option to keep console window of console apps OPEN after it exits.

Please provide a simple way to keep console window of console apps visible *after* it exits. Do not force us to play tricks like getch(), command("pause") and you know what.

Just add a checkbox in Debug options: Keep the $^&% window open.
    And make it default. Please!

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow simultaneous debuggers in chrome

Chrome now supports multiple debuggers. However when the chrome debugger is natively opened (F12), the visual studio debugger connection is dropped for some reason. I assume this may be because of the method currently VS uses to attach to the chrome debugger. There is a workaround as detailed on the MSDN forums via the link below, but it would be good to have this fixed to improve productivity

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/5cd1aa58-d986-4d03-a10e-bf1fd62080a7/simultaneous-debugging-in-chrome?forum=vsdebug#5cd1aa58-d986-4d03-a10e-bf1fd62080a7

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Visual Studio Sequencial Breakpoints... and breakpoint naming

As software engineers we have a lot of debugging to to..
    Most problems do not occur in specific modules but in chains - catastrophic chains.

So a "In-Chain" debug feature would be SUPER helpful.
    Set a breakpoint, that will "enable" another .. and so on.

In this way we could test sequential scenarios. Not just "points in time"

Something EXTRA like "naming" a breakpoint will enable "macro-like debug scenarios".

Those could be linked with our projects and will validate/catch REAL "run time" problems..

!0x..

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Continue but temporarily ignore active breakpoints (as in chrome tools)

In chrome debugging tools when halted on a javascript breakpoint you can click the 'resume script execution' button which then continues until the script finishes or until it hits another breakpoint (just like VS debugger behaviour).

If, rather than clicking the button you press and hold it, an option appears which if clicked, continues execution but temporarily ignores any further breakpoints even though the breakpoints are still active.

Maybe VS already has this continue-but-temporarily-ignore behaviour but I haven't found it. If not, I think this would be a great addition to Visual Studio. At the moment if I'm halted on…

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add support for the Concurrency Visualizer to VS 2017

VS 2017 documentation seems to point to VS 2015 Concurrency Visualizer downloads

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Save multiple startup projects for debugging

In previous versions of Visual Studio when you switched between starting multiple projects and starting a single project while debugging, the projects selected for "multiple projects" would be saved, making it easier to switch back and forth. Now I need to select all of the projects that I want to start each time I switch back to Multiple projects.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Visual Studio suppress certain Exception thrown messages in the output window

Like this case here:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40127680/visual-studio-suppress-certain-exception-thrown-messages

Whether there is a better feature in the next product which could disable the Exception message in the output window except the usual suggestions like disable it in output windows with right click option, or tools->option, or Exception settings.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add Windows remote debugging (msvsmon) support to CMake Folder project

CMake Folder support is great and there is support for remote debugging with gdb, but oddly I am unable to find support for remote debugging with VS native msvsmon tool. I want to remote debug a native C/C++ application on a windows machine.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Use .Gitignore Filtering when Copying Files Remotely

The Solution Explorer seems to utilize the .gitignore file, only showing files that are not "ignored", but when building on a remote Linux system all files starting from the root directory are copied over.

Does it seem reasonable to only copy files that make it past the .gitignore filtering rules? If not, is there a way to restrict what gets copied to a remote system?

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. VS 2017 RC debug MVC application with Chrome behaviour change

When debug MVC application with Chrome, It opens a new user browser window. in this case currently saved passwords and form data auto fillings cannot be used.
    And closing the window on debug stops is unnecessary. Sometimes we need to keep the developer tools open.
    JS debug in Chrome will be cooler if It goes with the normal chrome user.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Provide resume capability in downloading

You must provide resume option during download.And also provide the speed bar so that user may not get annoyed

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base