Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to create custom debugger visualizer (DialogDebuggerVisualizer & IDialogVisualizerService) for UWP

Writing custom debugger visualizers is very great for framework makers.

But when developping a framework for UWP and Xamarin, it would be even more useful because it's often on small devices with little or no screens at all (for IoT by example).

Having a way to create custom visualizers would be very great.

Oooh and we should be able to "install" them using a nuget package :-).

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Prevent editing files outside solution

Like this case here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46330903/prevent-editing-files-outside-solution

Visual Studio allows developers to open an external file in order to debug it, Can we debug the opening external files in "read-only" ?

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Non-modal visualizers

The visualizers that ship with VS should be non-modal and able to be docked to the side of the screen during a debug session.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add additional action to Exception Settings to 'Continue when handled in user code'

The Exception Settings window currently allows you to set an Additional Action for each exception to 'Continue when unhandled in user code'.

It seems like it would be FAR more useful to be able to set 'Continue when HANDLED in user code' for exceptions, because those are exceptions that the user was already anticipating and has implemented a strategy for handling that event.

When trying to debug, it can be needlessly frustrating to have the debugger break--and the sometimes lengthy delay that accompanies this--for an Exception that is already handled by a Try/Catch block.

But I still want the debugger…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. IntelliTrace step-back to work on older OS's & when remote debugging

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2017/10/12/step-back-while-debugging-with-intellitrace

"... requires Windows 10 Anniversary Update or above."

Great feature, but of limited use when it only works on the very latest OS. It'd be good to have it on older OS's (back to Win7 would be fine), and particularly so when remote debugging to such OS's.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Attach to process should include application pool information

Whenever I'm attaching to IIS I always have to use appcmd list wp to find out the PID of the w3wp process I actually want to attach to, this is very annoying.
    There should be:
    - a way to link the web app to IIS without being intrusive (if the website doesn't exist the web app project still loads with a warning)
    - a way to display the application pool and website(s) using it in the attach dialog
    - filtering

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Ship default XSLT and CSS files with the Code Metrics PowerTool

When the Code Metrics PowerTool is installed, it does not ship with a default set of XSLT and CSS files to translate the output from XML over to HTML for easy viewability.

Therefore, the Code Metrics PowerTool should ship with a default set of XSLT and CSS files to be able to output HTML. These files can then be customized further to meet the needs of the individual organization.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. List symbols in a module like x command in windbg

In WinDbg, if the pdb symbol of a module is loaded, it can display and search for symbols in the module, by using "x" command. In Visual Studio, it doesn't seem to have this functionality. I hope I am able to do this in Visual Studio too.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Information about garbage collected items

Information about garbage collected items:

Game developers often have to make their games rock-solid 60 FPS and every time GC kicks in, frames are skipped. So we end up trying to find and remove every piece of code that generates garbage.

In the past I used CLRProfiler, which gave you a list of every disposed element in a certain GC iteration. With a single click, you had a list of all the points of your code that had generated garbage and was collected in the last GC iteration. Unfortunately CLRProfiler is no more.

Current tools in VS2017 doesn't allow to…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Show Milliseconds for DateTime objects in the Debugger

There needs to be a way to format the way DateTime objects' value is displayed in the debugger to show the milliseconds.

Doesn't have to be a customizable format just need a format that shows milliseconds.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Generalize wildcards in type names in natvis

While templates are great some of us are still forced to work in C. It is common to replace templates with code generated from some abstract template source. However, in natvis it seems that the * notation to indicate a group of types in the <Type Name="myTemplate<*>"> is limited to just this, it is not possible to write, as in our case would be appropriate: <Type Name="*_Vec"> and get a match on all C structs ending with _Vec.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Link Build errors to Stack Overflow solutions

When a build error occurs, it would be great if VS used deep learning to determine if that specific error has a solution on Stack Overflow. When I click on the error, it could provide the possible fix.

This would greatly improve my workflow and allow known fixes to be found easier.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Breakpoint covered the bookmark

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351251/breakpoint-covered-the-bookmark.html
    In vs2005/2008/2010, when I set a breakpoint and a bookmark in the same line, I can see both. But in vs2012 RC, the breakpoint covered the bookmark. Maybe restore icons to vs2010 is a good idea.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. When debugging a UWP app and an uncaught exception is thrown, the debugger should break at the location from which the exception is thrown

If you create a new WinForms project and add a single line in the constructor of Form1.cs:
    throw new Exception();

Then hit F5. The exception is uncaught and the debugger breaks at that line.

If you create a UWP project and add a single line to the constructor in MainPage.xaml.cs:
    throw new Exception();

It breaks in the UnhandledException default handler in App.g.cs.

Can you bring back the developer-friendly feature of breaking right where the exception is thrown? When developing for UWP, it makes it much more difficult and time consuming to find even the simplest bugs (ex. null ref exception)…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. error dialogs should be copyable

From time to time Visual Studio throws up error dialog boxes. These are modal and the text from them cannot be copied. Often I want to paste the information.

I suggest you provide the ability to copy text from any dialog box. If that is impossible because of so many dialogs, then some quick and simple way of OCRing the text.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Save or copy Memory Usage snapshot list

I'm in a situation, in native C++, where I am replacing an algorithm by another one and I want to make sure the new algorithm does not allocate more memory than the old one. So I ran the old algorithm taking memory snapshots at relevant points. Now I have this memory snapshot list but I can't copy or save any of this information so I can reference it when I run the new algorithm. I have to eyeball and copy this information into a text file. I would be cool if I could copy the information much like we can…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Support breakpoints conditional on other breakpoints being hit

In XCode, you can (as far as I remember) make a breakpoint that is conditioned on another breakpoint's hit count. This would be extremely useful for reproducing bugs that hit the same place several times, but only one of those times, which occurs after a certain other thing, is actually interesting.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. :D

Hello from Urbania :D

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Enable muting of breakpoints

IntelliJ has a feature that allows "muting" of all breakpoints. This is different than disabling breakpoints in that it doesn't alter the enabled/disabled state. It just mutes them, where all breakpoints behave as if they are disabled. It is immensely useful and a total time saver.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base