Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Sort unit tests alphabetically & by result

I believe previous to v15.6.2 when I ran my unit tests (which are grouped by trait), the failing ones were placed first in the subgroup, and the tests were then alphabetized. Now the ordering is chaotic and I have to search the list to find the failed ones. Please bring back the old sorting.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. "attach to process" does not remember addresses in no authentication mode

If you have a lot of internal (and regularly changing) systems it's just too cumbersome to create pseudo accounts everywhere just for debugging.

Also for convenience these accounts often don't have passwords anyway, even more insecure than no auth mode.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Breakpoint Comments

// Breakpoint (...rest of comment)
    var a = 1;

...should result in automatic breakpoint addition to the line var a = 1. The breakpoint cannot be removed. It's just there. You can enable/disable this functionality, so the developer can't FORCE the debugger to trigger.

For teams that adopt this as a standard, code inspection would be triggered when unexpected "caught-and-handled" exceptions occur in the code, thereby improving code quality.

As some teams may not have space-after-// as a coding standard, the whitespace should be optional, so "// Breakpoint" and "//\t\t\tBreakpoint" should also work.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Remember Quick Watch Column Widths

This is a request that never goes away and never gets resolved:

Remember the column widths of the Quick Watch window.

Every single time I need to see the type of object in the QW window and have to go through multiple mouse strokes to do it, I ask myself "Why?"

And I'm not the only one.

WHY?

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Dont stop IISExpress serving pages after debug has stopped

I have a web project and I started with Ctrl-F5 (Start without Debugging). Then I decide to do some debugging and start with F5.
    When I stop debugging, IISExpress does no longer surf web pages from that side. I have to do another Ctrl-F5.
    Please do not stop IISExpres from surfing my pages, which I started in the first step.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add back Debugger Option: Use Native Compatibility Mode

In VS2015 I can debug using old PDB formats thanks to the "Use Native Compatibility Mode" debugger option. This option is no longer available in VS2017. What used to work in VS2015, now results in "Module was built without symbols."

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Visual studio debugger should be able to diff objects

Sometimes when debugging it's useful to find out what the difference is between two objects. The way I usually do it is to use the watch window and compare manually. If the type is user defined and more than a few fields or with nested types, this becomes really tedious and error prone.

It would be nice if there was a feature to give me a diff between the two, sort of like a file diff but for fields in a type. Perhaps when selecting rows in the watch window, there could be a context menu with the diff option,…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Visual Studio : hotkey similar to ctrl+F10 but also skip all breakpoints

when I press ctrl+F10 at line A, I just want the program to resume and halt when reach line A. However, if it reaches a breakpoint before reaches line A, it will halt at that breakpoint instead. Whether it could ignore or skip the breakpoint?

For detailed requirement:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/41318589/visual-studio-hotkey-similar-to-ctrlf10-but-also-skip-all-breakpoints

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Display call flow lines in disassembly view

For those of us analysing the odd bit of disassembled code in the course of our jobs (but not enough to warrant using eg. IDA or OllyDbg), it'd be super handy to have graphical display of the potential outcomes of jmp instructions, primarily within the same function; just a line pointing from the j* instruction to the destination would be useful enough so that I don't need to scroll to find the destination offset.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Provide more meaningful messages than "Unable to attach to the process. Operation not supported. Unknown error: 0x80004005."

Provide more meaningful messages than "Unable to attach to the process. Operation not supported. Unknown error: 0x80004005."

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. "Show desktop" not working when breakpoint is hit

Currently, when a breakpoint is hit, you can use Win+D (Show Desktop), Win+M (minimize all windows) shortcuts.

This is kinda annoying if you want to switch back-and-forth between windows and/or the desktop.

NOTE: This happens when debugging WinForms/WPF applications, but not console applications.

Is there any hidden switch (registry key) that I can use to disable this functionality?

Greetings, Steliyan.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Show command line arguments when attaching to process

With the advent of .net core, attaching to .net core apps from VS is a pain right now because all the process names are dotnet.exe and the attach windows does not show the command line args. If it had shown the command line args, then my life would have been less painful.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Search all callstacks within Threads view

The Threads view (Debug -> Windows -> Threads) has a search bar, which seems to only search by thread name.

Most of the times however, I want to search for a specific class / method name within all the callstacks of all the threads.

Most of the times when I need the Threads view, I also need to search all callstacks.

Extra credit, it would be awesome if the search supported multiple partial segments. For example, if a class from the callstack is called ObservableBreakfastScheduler, then the search keyword "ObsBreSch" should find it.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. attach to process command line

This has been closed before, but this would be really nice, especially with many IIS w3wp processes out there.

The Attach to Process dialog should help me disambiguate which process I want to attach the debugger to. The existing PID is not really helpful unless I use Process Explorer, or some other such too to help me figure out the process ID of the EXE instance want to debug.
    Example Scenario:
    When I have multiple instances of IISExpress running, I cannot tell which instance of the EXE I want to attach to. If I the process name hover tooltip would…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Highlight the last Stack Frame accessed in the dropdown menu

The Stack Frame dropdown menu (which appears when debugging c++ applications) should have a different coloration (or at least some indication) on the current menu item that is being viewed.

It is often the case that, when trying to diagnose the cause of a break (be it a a manual or forced break point) it becomes necessary to jump between different stack frames to see what the program was doing at different levels of function calls. When the stack becomes deep it can be cumbersome to find the line in the dropdown menu associated with the current stack frame, which…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Attach to process by process ID

Debugging stateful services there are multiple instances of the same application running. I can figure out which instance I want by looking at memory/CPU in task manager, but then I have to wait for VS to load the entire list of ALL running apps before being able to find the one I want.
    I want to be able to enter the ProcessID and have VS quit trying to gather the list of all processes. You have a filter box, but it only works once the process list is filled in. I know exactly which Process I want.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Keep Warnings and Timing Statistics during Incremental Build

Our continuous integration server builds a large project on each checkin and patch submission, usually as an incremental build as only one or two files have changed.

Because most files aren't rebuilt, their warnings are not reflected in the warning statistics, and the time it took to compile them is not tallied either.

It would be great if there was a database that would be updated with the warnings when a file is recompiled, and used to dump the warnings from the last run when a compiler invocation is unnecessary; the same applies to timing (a simple informational line "up-to-date…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. let users specify default event category filters for Diagnostic Tools

Every time I start up a debug session of my project, I have to go into the Filter selection in the Diagnostic Tools Events tab and turn off Program Output, ASP.NET, and Application Insights categories. I'd love to have some way to default to those categories being turned off.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. duplicate view of debugger window on Visual Studio

Like this case here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47597422/duplicate-view-of-debugger-window-on-visual-studio

Can we open two debugging windows(Disassembly window) during debugging time with one VS?

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 5 7 9 25 26

Feedback and Knowledge Base