Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add ApplicationPool info in "Attach to Process" window for w3wp processes

For web developers, it would be of great help if the Attach to Process window showed also the associated application pools of w3wp processes - this would end a lot of PID-guessing or external scripts to be run and hence save valuable development time.

98 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    7 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

2. Make Intellitrace available to all editions

Essential advanced debugging features like Intellitrace should be made available to all editions of Visual Studio and not only the Ultimate version.

Every developer faces troublesome bugs one day and Intellitrace is just a life savior.

95 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.
    - The Visual Studio Team

3. Enable Edit and Continue for Silverlight

Enable "Edit and Continue" when debugging silverlight projects.

It is very annoying and fells like the 20th century that you first have to stop debugging before you make any change to the code (or comments) and then have to restart the whole application.

92 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

4. Implement the features missing in natvis that autoexp.dat used to provide

The new natvis framework brings some improvements over autoexp.dat but sadly some key features from autoexp.dat have been lost, making it ****** and in some cases impossible to visualise types in natvis that could easily be visualised using autoexp.dat.

1. The loss of the $c notation means that it is no longer possible to reference the container object when defining the next pointer in a linked list. It is therefore not possible to correctly visualise a linked list that is teminated with an 'end node' held by the container because its address is not accessible at the point where it…

87 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

5. quit stealing focus when a breakpoint is hit - I am not always just sitting and waiting.

Quit stealing focus when a breakpoint is hit. I am not always just sitting and waiting. I might be in outlook or some other program typing away and presto! I am now typing into some source file. File gets checked out of TFS, code is "modifed" and I have to wait wait wait until the edit&continue debugging finishes its preliminary work. Once I have control, I have to undo the edit and undo the TFS checkout.

Just blink the VS icon in my task bar like other apps that want attention when a breakpoint trips. Please.

87 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    17 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

6. Silverlight intellitrace support

Please bring Silverlight tooling up to par. If you add a cool new feature like intellitrace please add support for Silverlight.

82 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

7. Provide message based debugging

The debugger in VS is farily decent. However it appears to be lacking one essential feature for debugging Windows applications that are event based. That would be the ability to easily debug the source of messages being posted to a window.

I typically have to resort to Spyxx.exe to view events while I am also debugging in Visual Studio. That is fraught with issues as Spyxx has problems when the debugger is running. Spy can detect an issue with "hooks" that can cause the system to lock up so spy tells me it is refusing to log messages. Sometimes I…

79 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

8. Implement a new "skip over" breakpoint type

Implement a new "skip over" breakpoint type that would automatically skip to some user-defined line of code when hit and keep running from there without user intervention. This would speed up debugging by not having to constantly move execution point manually, or having to recompile the code to remove the offending section.

73 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

9. Export/Save watch

Please provide a way to save or export contents of a watch window to Excel or XML. When dealing with large object graphs (that might need some time to be build) it is not very comfortable to generate a new object graph (which includes starting a new debug session) every time you need to lookup a specific value. Exporting or saving the watch to make it available after stopping the debug session would greatly improve everyday workflows.

72 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

10. Show Exception messages in English for smaller languages

When I get exception messages using the debugger, I would like to get the option for Visual Studio to give me the English counterpart instead of the one in my language (Dutch). Especially because I'm already using an English Visual C# program. Exception messages in less spoken languages are useless if you want to do research on the Internet about it.

62 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

11. Please provide exporting the Code Analysis report to excel in Visual Studio

Please provide feature to export the Code Analysis report to Excel in Visual Studio. This feature was available in Visual Studio 2010. The feature was very useful for managing, planning and reporting of code analysis issues.

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we havenÕt acted on it. Looking at the VS Ò15Ó plans, weÕre not going to take action on this item, so weÕre going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if thereÕs another suggestion thatÕs similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

12. Support structs in the VS2013 Debugger Return Value feature

The new "Return Value" feature in the VS2013 Debugger is awesome, but the limitation where it does not support structs is very problematic - there are a lot of important value types within the .NET framework itself (DateTime and TimeSpan, for instance) that I would really like to be able to see in the Autos window after stepping over a line.

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

13. Add intelligent sort, and filter capabilities to Autos, Locals, and Watch Windows

I'd really like a way to filter the debugger windows based on
    * variable name
    * type
    * value
    * changed (red)
    * valid vs. invalid memory (e.g. 0xcdcd, 0xcccc), or <Unable to read memory>
    * public, private, protected, const, etc qualifications

The UI I'm picturing would be column filter widgets in Excel Lists.

Some potential use cases:
    1. Stepping into a class function where the this pointer has many dozens of members, I might want to see all the bools, all non-zero entries, all non-null pointers, etc.

2. It can be difficult to find the entry I want if…

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

14. Automatically populate IEnumerable results in data tip when debugging

It would be very nice if the results of an IEnumerable are automatically populated when the user clicks on the [+] button on the left edge instead of having to move the mouse all across the screen just to refresh the items in the IEnumerable and then click the [+] button to expand the collection.

I'm putting this suggestion in based on this question on Stackoverflow (http://stackoverflow.com/q/13665322/117870). Clearly, I'm not the only one who finds this inconvenient.

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

15. Under the Debug Menu, Add an Attach to IIS item

Under the Debug Menu, add an Attach to IIS item. The new feature should detect the correct IIS process for the installed OS. This relieves the user from searching through the Attach to Process list to find aspnet_wp or w3wp.

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

16. IL debugging

If no sources are available, instead of showing x86 assembly, show .NET IL and allow to step through the IL instructions.

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

17. Provide return value in debug when mousing over the return statement

Right now you can view the return value of a method call in the auto or immediate window, which is fine, but isn't enough...

Let's say you are writing a web service, and the return value of your service is what you want to see while debugging the service. The only way to view that value is to assign it to a local variable and then return that variable:

public MyObject MyMethod()
    {
    //some logic here
    var myResult = new MyObject(valueFromLogicAbove);
    return myResult;
    }

This is really redundant and the OCD in me that tries to keep my code clean…

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we havenÕt acted on it. Looking at the VS Ò15Ó plans, weÕre not going to take action on this item, so weÕre going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if thereÕs another suggestion thatÕs similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

18. Remote debugging support for XP and Vista

Add support to remote debug (compatibility layer, or allow older VS2010 remote debugger client) Windows XP and Windows Vista operating systems. Currently, only Windows 7 and up can be remote debugged - which hinders development and troubleshooting in backwards-compatibility situations.

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

19. use thread name set with SetThreadName in Concurrency Visualizer

Currently (vs2012 pro) the Concurrency Visualizer displays a general category as a thread name (Main Thread, Worker Thread, ...). It would be really helpful to display the name set with SetThreadName.

Since the debugger can do it the concurrency visualizer should be able to do the same, I guess?

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

20. Option to hide namespace prefixes in debugger CallStack window (VS2012)

Please add an option to hide the namespace prefixing (of the method names and argument types) when shown in the debugger CallStack window (VS2012).

This could be another 'checkbox' in the right-click menu of the "Call Stack" window.

Because the following is a little hard to read:

" agree_console.ConsoleExec.do_pipeline<agree.IUnit,agree.IActiveObj<agree.IActiveObj<agree.IActiveObj<agree.IActiveObj<agree.IActiveObj<agree.IAsyncTask<agree.IChartControl>>>>>>>(System.Func<agree.IUnit,agree.IActiveObj<agree.IActiveObj<agree.IActiveObj<agree.IActiveObj<agree.IActiveObj<agree.IAsyncTask<agree.IChartControl>>>>>>> cx)
    "

If every instance of 'agree.' was eliminated in this example, it would be more manageable. Many thanks.

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22

Feedback and Knowledge Base